Rumi With A View to Other Persian Mystic Poets

Post links to sites, web pages, videos, etc.
Forum rules
No links to copyrighted materials.

Rumi With A View to Other Persian Mystic Poets

Postby shahin » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:55 am

I have recently translated selected Rumi poems from original Farsi to English. Please check the book, Rumi with a View to other Persian Mystic Poets, at www.amazon.com and soon at www.rumibooks.com.

Most Rumi translations are not from Farsi, and lack the amazing beauty of form and musicality of Rumi poems in Farsi. Moreover, the mystical concepts are mainly lost in translation.

This book is my humble attempt to make Rumi's poetry accessible to Rumi fans by using contemporary English words, symbols, and imagery. Please send me your honest comments.

Shahin Motallebi
shahin

Re: Rumi With A View to Other Persian Mystic Poets

Postby rideforever » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:33 am

Hi, very nice work.

Why is there a picture of Tibet on the cover ?
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Postby shahin » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:11 am

Dear Rum I fan,
The picture on the cover is from Kathmandu, Nepal. I have explained in the preface to the book that Rumi's mystical concepts in his poems, even though composed in Farsi with 13th century syntax, symbolism, and imagery, are universal mystical concepts. The pictures in the book, as well as the cover picture, are spiritual places in Kathmandu, Nepal, and Kamakura, Japan. These pictures also depict universal mystical concepts, but with different symbolism and with different media.
Moreover, Rumi was an Iranian poet. As such, using images of Konya in Turkey, or Turkish whirling dervishes or even Persian miniatures, used by most publishers, is not necessary and is completely arbitrary.
I hope I have properly answered your question. Take care.

Shahin Motallebi
shahin

Postby shahin » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:17 am

“Friend, accept me and liberate my soul

Intoxicate me and remove me from both worlds

Whatever comforts me that is not you

Set me on fire and take that comfort with you”

Rumi Quatrains from Divan Shams; Copyrighted by Shahin Motallebi
shahin

Postby treasuretheday » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:17 pm

Beautiful poem, Shahin. I'd like to learn more...your book looks beautiful. Thanks for the link and best wishes for :D your book!
Life itself is the proper binge.
-Julia Child
treasuretheday

Postby shahin » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:29 am

Dear Treasuretheday,

Thank you for your kind words. Some pages of the book with English translations of Rumi's poems are available on books.google.com so you can get a feel of it. Take care.

Shahin
shahin

Postby norskinoodle » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:54 pm

Hello!

I was wondering if you might be able to help me. My best friend (who has iranian heritage and loves Rumi's poetry) is getting married in a couple of weeks and i am having a piece of art work made with a quote by Rumi interwoven into it. The quote is "Only From the heart can you touch the sky". I'd like it to be written in Farsi, however not being a Farsi speaker, i don't know the translation. I asked a friend with iranian heritage (but not a fluent Farsi speaker) if she could translate it, and she sent me this: از دل میتونی به آسمان‌ها برسید. Is this correct? I would so much appreciate your help. If you could let me know this evening, that would be amazing. I need to get back to the artist as soon as possible. Many thanks and best wishes, Laura
norskinoodle

Postby shahin » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:25 am

Dear Laura,
Sorry for the late reply; I just checked this site. The Farsi translation is fine but it does not make any sense since it is a literal translation. I am not familiar with this Rumi quote. In reality, there are no Rumi quotes and they are made up by Coleman Barks and other non-Farsi speaking "translators" of Rumi. Good luck.

Shahin
shahin

Postby SandyJoy » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:07 pm

Here is my favorite -- I love Hafiz, I love his sense of humor and delight and giggles:

from Hafiz:

Two Giant Fat People

God and I have become

Like two giant fat people

Living in a tiny boat

We keep

Bumping into each other

And laughing.
You are not finished, until you play in that meadow and live there. You can, you know. But only you can take yourself there.
SandyJoy

Postby rideforever » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:36 pm

love that one !
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Return to Recommended Links