Running and awakening

Post links to sites, web pages, videos, etc.
Forum rules
No links to copyrighted materials.

Running and awakening

Postby runstrails » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:14 am

As a runner, I thought this article was interesting: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... ove-to-run
I liked this quote towards the end:
But if we push on, running harder, deeper into the loneliness, further away from the world and the structure of our lives, we begin to feel strangely elated, detached yet at the same time connected, connected to ourselves. With nothing but our own two legs moving us, we begin to get a vague, tingling sense of who, or what, we really are.

So much of my self-inquiry has been done while running and it's while running that I got my initial glimpses of self.
In fact, if I have a spiritual question, I go for a long run while I contemplate it, and the answer appears spontaneously at some time during the run.

So chime in all you runners out there :D.
How has running helped you awaken?
runstrails

Re: Running and awakening

Postby kiki » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:30 am

I get the same thing from biking. I don't do any inquiry during biking, but I just stay focused on the physicality of it, really paying attention to my body. That keeps me present, and makes my rides like extended periods of meditation.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby Onceler » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:33 pm

Yes! Good article. It captured what I feel about running. Especially that primal sense that you are peeling away your life and getting simpler, basic. I run in the woods and feel that running in narural sertings is critical for me to re-engage with a primal awareness that erodes thru out the week. I leave my stress and pettiness to be absorbed by the trees, grass and water.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby treasuretheday » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:22 pm

" Running is hard. It requires effort. And after all the pain you usually end up right back where you started, having run in a big, pointless circle."

I'm no runner, but I hear the author! Raking leaves is hard. It requires effort. And after all the pain---more leaves fall from the trees & I'm right back where I started!

Ah, the "pointless circle" I make as I become one with the rake! With a swhooshing noise I whisk up crunchy leaves and whispy pine needles, & create a circle where there is no thought. Raking is a repetitive task that makes no sense to many onlookers who note the endlessness of the "chore." Afterall, leaves will fall again tomorrow, & the next day.

We can run or bike or rake or sweep for the sake of it. In the process we receive the gift of presence. We may never get anywhere, but to some, the journey is more important than the destination.
Life itself is the proper binge.
-Julia Child
treasuretheday

Postby DavidB » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:18 am

I saw an interesting quote the other day that made me laugh.

"You are the result of 4 billion years of evolutionary success. Act like it."

I'm just happy to be alive and experience this human life right now and all it entails. The sheer probability that I could be hear alive and healthy right now, typing messages into cyberspace and connecting with people from around the world, sharing common interests and experiences, is truly miraculous.

Sorry if I changed the nature of the thread.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby treasuretheday » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:10 pm

DavidB, I think you're uplifting comments are very much in keeping with the nature of this thread!

I hear you echoing this idea, "we begin to get a vague, tingling sense of who, or what, we really are."
And, you are savoring that, grateful for it, and for the entire experience of life!

Inspiring!
-Julia Child
treasuretheday

Postby rachMiel » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:25 pm

DavidB wrote:"You are the result of 4 billion years of evolutionary success. Act like it."

Nice.

Of course pretty much the same could be said of jellyfish, give or take a few hundred million years ... but who's counting? ;-)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby treasuretheday » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:18 pm

Lol, Rachmiel! :D
-Julia Child
treasuretheday

Postby Natalie » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:32 pm

Thanks for sharing that wonderful article trails........I am glad we have you fishing these treasures for us :)
Natalie

Return to Recommended Links