How we experience emotions directly in areas of the body

Post links to sites, web pages, videos, etc.
Forum rules
No links to copyrighted materials.

How we experience emotions directly in areas of the body

Postby starting » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:55 pm

Hi all,

I read this article about emotions:
The researchers think that it may help us to better understand mood disorders such as depression and anxiety.
The objective was to find out if there is a connection, across various demographic groups and geographical regions, between what we feel and the physical sensation of that feeling.

One site with the information and full article:
http://www.spring.org.uk/2014/01/the-bo ... e-body.php
“Your life is in transition from a caterpillar to a butterfly. Something may be saying: `Where is my leaf?’ Don't fear. Trust. All is well. How auspicious that Grace has picked you up like this. Hold this gratitude inside your heart” ~ Mooji
starting

Re: How we experience emotions directly in areas of the body

Postby rachMiel » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:31 pm

I guess it really is a body-mind. :-)

It would be interesting to see where other mind activities reside in the body: analytical/logical reasoning, imagination, intuition, insight, awareness, sensations, etc.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby runstrails » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:47 pm

Very interesting. Could you post a link to the article, starting?
Look how much body area happiness activates (even more than love!)
runstrails

Postby starting » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:24 pm

“Your life is in transition from a caterpillar to a butterfly. Something may be saying: `Where is my leaf?’ Don't fear. Trust. All is well. How auspicious that Grace has picked you up like this. Hold this gratitude inside your heart” ~ Mooji
starting

Postby runstrails » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:10 pm

Thanks, starting. I enjoyed it. I wish they had used an objective measure---but results from an n=701 are hard to refute!
runstrails

Postby ashley72 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:49 pm

Interesting study.

However, I think it would have been more accurate to describe the body maps, as maps of self awareness rather than body sensation activation. As they were not taking direct measurements of nervous system response in those body areas, but rather surveying a persons "conscious" awareness of their body during changing emotional states.

When people feel angry or anxious they tend to have a brain freeze, basically there is a lack of conscious awareness going on as the Amygdala hijacks their neo cortex. This is why I believe people in these kinds of emotional states seem to have more restrictive body maps.

Note: Some neuroscientists state "conscious" awareness is a function of the neo cortex and not the sub-cortical regions of the brain. Sub-cortical brain regions are heavily involved in fight/flight/freeze (survival mode).
ashley72

Return to Recommended Links