Realizing my biggest addiction - Thinking

Post links to sites, web pages, videos, etc.
Forum rules
No links to copyrighted materials.

Postby vinay » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:27 am

Greetings of the new year!

Sharing a blog I wrote recently. Perhaps it is elementary for this forum. But since the trigger is ET, thought of sharing. Happy to hear your views.

http://www.catalign.in/2015/01/realizin ... nking.html

Vinay
vinay

Re: Realizing my biggest addiction - Thinking

Postby KathleenBrugger » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:24 am

Hi Vinay, nice blog post. It's really clear and would, I think, be quite meaningful to people who haven't done any self-reflection, aren't familiar with ET's writings, etc. I think probably everyone can relate to having those kinds of thoughts that just keep spinning round and round your head. Sam Harris said something funny about this in an interview: "It's like I have the most boring person in the world in my head; I have the same conversation with myself over and over. If we did this with others--had the same conversation over and over--they’d think we were crazy."

Also--I really like how at the end you gave the specific spots in the interview referenced so people can hear it for themselves. Very cool.
We are ALL Innocent by Reason of Insanity
http://kathleenbrugger.blogspot.com/
KathleenBrugger

Postby vinay » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:41 am

Thanks Kathleen. I like Sam Harris' metaphor of "most boring person in the head".
vinay

Postby Onceler » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:34 pm

My biggest addiction is fear and my efforts to ease it.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby Phil2 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:00 pm

Onceler wrote:My biggest addiction is fear and my efforts to ease it.

... and this is called thinking ...

:)
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Postby Onceler » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:23 am

Phil2 wrote:
Onceler wrote:My biggest addiction is fear and my efforts to ease it.

... and this is called thinking ...

:)

Erm....no, drinking. And other sedative activities like eating. In my experience, fear energizes and distorts thinking.....fear free thinking is just productive thinking.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby Clouded » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:28 am

Doesn't fear come from unconscious mental processes, which is a type of thinking? Can you experience fear without picturing a negative outcome? Usually you know what you are afraid of because you thought about it first, no? I totally agree that fear can distort thinking, though.
"If you want to know what your were like in the past, look at your body today. If you want to know what your body will be like in the future, look at your thoughts today." -Deepak
Clouded

Postby Onceler » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:35 am

Clouded wrote:Doesn't fear come from unconscious mental processes, which is a type of thinking? Can you experience fear without picturing a negative outcome? Usually you know what you are afraid of because you thought about it first, no? I totally agree that fear can distort thinking, though.

Actually, good question. Perhaps the genesis of thinking and emotion are interchangeable. I believe we can have a start, adrenaline rush, whatever and then fill in with a cognitive backstory to explain the fear. Of course fear can come from distorted thinking and a distorted narrative. I think, however, sometimes fear comes first, especially the fear of life or existential dread.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby CaiHong » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:23 am

Thanks Vinay for your post,

Fighting/dealing with addiction/diversion in some form of another seems to be my life's work. This morning when I got up I was thinking the TV series binge watching has got to stop, watched Breaking Bad for the second time and have started into the Walking Dead for the second time.
I started listening to ET, really focusing on what he is saying as opposed to background good, useful noise, he was talking about TV watching.
Now I know what things aren't "good" for me and I have always been striving for some kind of balance. I questioned myself on how seriously am I taking this, I actually know this works, I stayed more present as I went about my chores and getting ready to go out for breakfast, I pushed my bike through the apartment complex and heard what I thought were a dozen fans snapping but ahead of me beside the lake was one lady in red silk practicing TaiChi even to my unpracticed eye she flowed. I stopped to watch and wait for my little dog to catch up, I started to cry for no apparent reason, then I started to analyze why I was crying then stopped analyzing why I was crying and just tried to stay in the emotion.

Trying to deal with my diversions individually is akin to playing an endless game of Whack a Mole. The more presence that enters my life the less need for diversions.

My most creative moments have definitely been when there was no thinking involved.

CaiHong
CaiHong

Return to Recommended Links