Eckhart Tolle Retreat Excerpts

Post links to sites, web pages, videos, etc.
Forum rules
No links to copyrighted materials.

Eckhart Tolle Retreat Excerpts

Postby erict » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:54 pm

http://www.compassionworks.com/Eckhart_Tolle.htm

There are 4 excepts here:

- Form is Temporary

- Self Esteem

- Surrender

- Eating

When I was listening to the India Retreat, I really loved the part about self-esteem. Maybe because it was something that I was wondering about myself... how when we feel good about ourselves, it is only because we consider ourselves better in some way than other people. And somehow that just doesn't feel quite right.
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby AndyD » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:51 pm

Great link. I've also been thinking a lot about self-esteem recently (and trying affirmations) so that part was particularly applicable.
AndyD

Postby kiki » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:14 am

Hi AndyD,

May I suggest that before you practice affirmations that you look for the one who would make the affirmation - can you find a separate and disticnt 'AndyD' or only an idea of who AndyD is? See if you can find him, and then see if affirmations are needed to wake up to what you are.

kiki
kiki

Postby AndyD » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:40 am

Thanks Kiki, that rings true. I will reflect on that.

It reminds me of an experience I had a few weeks ago. I had been thinking all day about how much easier it would be if I wasn't a depressed person and if I wasn't a demotivated person etc. when it suddenly occurred to me that these are not really me, merely conditioning I'd picked up which surrounded me like an outer shell (hard to explain these things with language alone). I concluded that this shell is not me and I am therefore free to act without it - as the real me underneath. At this point it felt like something was peeling off me like layers from an onion and I felt lighter perhaps with the freeness of dropping all the problems. For several days I felt absolutely alive, feeling the same presence running through my body that I had felt when deep in meditation. For a time I didn't have problems - merely situations which would be dealt with when and how appropriate. Everything was different in some way as if I was seeing it with fresh unprejudiced eyes.

Now to reflect more...

Thanks,
Andy
AndyD

Postby lakeswimr » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:07 am

That is very cool, Andy!
lakeswimr

Postby kiki » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:22 pm

Good for you Andy, you saw this directly for yourself - great insight. Most people need to be told about how conditioning controls their life, but when you see this for yourself it has an immediate impact. Your conditioning is all of those 'layers' that have been accepted as true. They don't really exist - they are creations of a fictional character. When they are seen through they can be dropped, as happened to you.

What one is attempting to 'do' to awaken is what keeps one ignorant of their true nature. Most forms of doing are unconsciously driven because they arise out of the most fundamentally unconscious entity - the idea of 'me', the ego entity. When searched for directly this ego entity cannot be found. All that will be found are ideas of 'me' and, most importantly, the consciousness/awareness in which these ideas arise in. This consciousness/awareness is what you actually are, and it was this consciousness that gave you the sense of freedom that you expressed. When 'you' come back, when the idea of 'me' reconstitutes itself out of habit, that's when problems are seen again.

The one who would make an affirmation is just a specific bundle of ideas labelled as 'me'. Without this idea of me arising there will be no one here to formulate an affirmation, all there will be is the conscious awareness of what one really is.

The one who would 'reflect' upon anything is also the ego entity. I am not suggesting that reflection should not happen, for it is through reflection that insight can express itself. However, one doesn't need to reflect in order to experience one's true nature. Reflection is an activity of the mind, and what you really are lies beneath/beyond the mind - what you really are is here already, it only needs to be seen. Thinking about it, reflecting about it, striving for it tends to cover it up so that it can't be seen. It's here now. When you become aware of those things which you are doing which cover it up that doing can stop spontaneously, and then it will be revealed.

kiki
kiki

Postby summer » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:24 pm

:D I always love your answere, kiki,
thank you.
summer

Postby Forrest » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:15 am

Thanks! I totally lose consciousness when eating. Sometimes I'll take the first few bites... and then be finished and not remember the middle!

"It’s a very uh, our ancestors, uh, uh, eating started a long time ago. You often revert back to a primeval activity of <snarl, snarl> " hah!
Forrest

Postby Egoicmidget » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:19 am

Kiki thanks as always for your insights.

Andy your really getting it. Conditioning and recognizing it for what it is.

Fanatstic!

John
Egoicmidget

Return to Recommended Links