The Headless Way by Douglas Harding

Post links to sites, web pages, videos, etc.
Forum rules
No links to copyrighted materials.

The Headless Way by Douglas Harding

Postby Sandro » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:33 pm

Hi!!

A few days ago I have discovered the Headless Way site, it's based on the realization of Douglas Harding.

http://www.headless.org/English/main.html

Just take a look and try the experiments, they point to the the experience of who you really are here and now.
They may take you immediately in the state of presence through the gateway of space.

Then tell me what you have experienced.

Peace
Sandro
Sandro

Postby summer » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:28 pm

Hi Sandro,
I just checked out this website, and it is very interesting.

When I did that first experiment, and became aware of my head, I definately am aware of presence. What a shift.

I am empty space. :D
summer

Postby summer » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:38 pm

Wow! This exercise is really cool. And totally in synch with what Eckhart says.

CLOSED EYE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Explore what it is to be First Person singular, present tense, with eyes closed.

Consider the following:

Going by your own, present experience, not by memory, hearsay or imagination, how big are you? What shape are you? Could you be almost any size or shape?

Do you have boundaries? Is there a place where you stop and the world begins? Or is there nothing dividing you from the world?

You can probably hear a variety of sounds, from distant ones to close ones. Do you hear any sound right where you are? Don't sounds come and go in Silence where you are?

At centre are you a collection of thoughts and feelings - a mind? What and where is this mind? Do thoughts and feelings appear out of it or out of nothing? Is your mind centralised, boxed in, separate from the world, or at large, unboxed, united with the world?

Sensations of warmth, discomfort, pleasure, breathing and so on are apparent. Do these make you into 'something' at centre, solid and limited? Or do these sensations come and go in the transparency of awareness, like thoughts, feelings and sounds? How big is the pain of a headache? One-way attention pays attention to the ache, thinking of it inside the limits of a head. Two-way attention is aware of the space in which the ache - and the idea of a head - occur. Just as it is face there to no-face here, so it is pain there to no pain here.

Underlying and containing all the different things you identify with is unoccupied, timeless, pure awareness. Though it is not a thing, yet it is absolutely real, and always present. It is who you really are.

Other experiments and applications
It is possible that these experiments are raising questions and doubts in your mind. Questions and doubts can be responded to by attending to your own experience rather than simply by debate and argument, important as these other methods of enquiry are. But you may say 'So what?' regarding all of this exploration and discovery. Our intention here is to raise a fundamental question and explore it by attending to our first hand experience. Who are we really? If we are mistaken about who we really are, confining ourselves to what social convention tells us we are, (thereby overlooking our essential immensity that contains all things), we are liable to miss out on a lot of fun, on a wonderful truth about ourselves, on a key for living well, on the basis of love, and much more!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
summer

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:35 pm

summer wrote:Hi Sandro,
I just checked out this website, and it is very interesting.

When I did that first experiment, and became aware of my head, I definately am aware of presence. What a shift.

I am empty space. :D

Yes!!!

and you share this reality with every other human being :D

Have you also seen the movies section? I have found it wonderful.

Sandro

Re: The Headless Way by Douglas Harding

Postby ashley72 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:43 am

Douglas Harding has some great pointers to your true "formless" nature. I certainly recommend his approach....particular if you're worn out by all the spiritual jargon.

Try this simply finger pointing exercise.

http://www.headless.org/videos/richard_flash_video_test.htm

This is a lot like Douglas Harding's maps.

ashley72

Re: The Headless Way by Douglas Harding

Postby ashley72 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:04 am

If you do some of Douglas Hardings experiments this image will instantly resonate. Ponder the out stretched arms at 200 deg. This circle around the head. This is the first-person stance... where form & formless unite in perfect harmony.

Tao is awareness, which appears as void or emptiness. Can you see the emptiness in the place where others see your face? This is the emptiness or void that is your no-face or no-head. It is wide open for the world, for the ten thousand things of creation.

Your only task is to see this emptiness whenever it occurs to you to look. See your empty face, the void in its infinity and eternity each moment. You will also see the ten thousand things that occur in time and space.

Your own body is one of these ten thousand things that are manifested in you, in your awareness, in the Tao. See the truth of who you are. To yourself, you are not the body topped off with a head. That is your image to other people.

Can you see your not like Your image or reflection? Just see you are totality by looking in your own direction.

ashley72

Return to Recommended Links