Science and Buddhism

Post links to sites, web pages, videos, etc.
Forum rules
No links to copyrighted materials.

Science and Buddhism

Postby Sighclone » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:53 am

Here is an interesting pair of videos comparing Buddhism with quantum reality: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj_i7YqDwJA

This link above is part one of two -- the second is available at the end of the first, the lower link on the final screen. Yes, they use the Buddhist concept of Mind differently than we tend to in this forum...but there are parallels with much that we speak about. Well done, overall.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Re: Science and Buddhism

Postby rachMiel » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:47 pm

Thanks, Sighclone. Normally I steer clear of "dancing quantum monks" kinda presentations ... but I like these.

Both eastern thinkers and quantum physicists agree that the distinction between material and nonmaterial is in reality not as distinct as it seems to our faculties of human perception (perhaps even altogether illusory). Which got me thinking: Can a human see/perceive the nonmaterial reality of the world? Or, to use a quantum paradigm: Can one see/perceive waves instead of (along with) particles?
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby HermitLoon » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:04 pm

Thanks Andy- very resonant link :)

There is nothing This or That - Here or There - but conscious observation/thinking makes it so.
And that's OK.

Peace
Peace
HermitLoon

Postby Webwanderer » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:14 pm

Thanks Andy. Excellent link. Here's another "I" opening look at quantum consciousness: :idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fWtBq8uWKE&feature=related

I love: "The atom cannot be observed until you attempt to measure it, an atom is spread out until a conscious observer decides to look at it. In other words the act of measurement, or observation, creates the entire universe." Curious.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby kiki » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:17 am

Hey, thanks Andy. That was very interesting.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby Quinn » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:08 am

rachMiel wrote: Or, to use a quantum paradigm: Can one see/perceive waves instead of (along with) particles?

rachMiel, I'm out of town right now, but I know somewhere I read (or saw) a whole discussion on this. When I get back, I'll see if I can find it. If I remember... :?

But I do remember something about all of our senses perceiving waves and particles. That each sense has two types of receptors designed for that purpose. I think ears were: the auditory canal perceives waves and the cilia perceive particles. Eyes - rods and cones? Not sure of the details. Maybe this will ring a bell with someone else.

Hopefully I can find it. Fascinating stuff.
Quinn

Postby rachMiel » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:22 am

Quinn wrote:
rachMiel wrote: Or, to use a quantum paradigm: Can one see/perceive waves instead of (along with) particles?

rachMiel, I'm out of town right now, but I know somewhere I read (or saw) a whole discussion on this. When I get back, I'll see if I can find it. If I remember... :?

But I do remember something about all of our senses perceiving waves and particles. That each sense has two types of receptors designed for that purpose. I think ears were: the auditory canal perceives waves and the cilia perceive particles. Eyes - rods and cones? Not sure of the details. Maybe this will ring a bell with someone else.

Hopefully I can find it. Fascinating stuff.

Fabulous! Would be great if you could find it and post the link. :-)

Truth be told, though ... I was talking about something much more vague/mysterious (and potentially ooey-gooey): The ability to see/perceive the waves as one might see/perceive a human aura. There have been a few times when (I think) I've seen/felt the pure energy matrix that underlies the material world. It was beautiful.
rachMiel

Postby Quinn » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:00 am

rachMiel wrote:Truth be told, though ... I was talking about something much more vague/mysterious (and potentially ooey-gooey)

Oh..THAT stuff. :)

I've had a couple of those experiences,too, although more sensing than seeing. Yes,very beautiful. I wonder if that's more common than I thought. Not something people drop in conversation, usually.

I actually had a realization just yesterday that the funk I've been in since I had my first Reiki training last week is all about energy. Energy work, chakras, pendulums, crystals. Apparently there's a part of me that is hesitant to "go there". That thinks it may be too fringy, or may take me away from presence, or...I don't know...some other excuse. The war wages on, but it's nice to have a little clarity about the content. Before that, I was just feeling the shrapnel. :(

Ah, just realized I got off subject. The only thing I've read about that might have something to do with sensing/seeing the energy matrix is on Kirlian photography. Very interesting, but controversial (of course).
Quinn

Postby rachMiel » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:20 am

Quinn wrote:The war wages on ...

Perhaps you should declare a (temporary) cease fire? ;-)
rachMiel

Postby Quinn » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:49 pm

rachMiel wrote:Perhaps you should declare a (temporary) cease fire? ;-)

:)

Now that I know there's a war, I've got some popcorn and am sitting back to watch. We'll see if I unwrap that pendulum I'm carrying around.
Quinn

Postby rachMiel » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:18 pm

Quinn, you just inspired me to open a new thread. :-)
rachMiel

Postby snowheight » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:55 am

Andy,

The sense of mystery and awe that the music lends the presentation reminds me of Sagan's "Cosmos".

I remain open to the idea that eventually a theory might be proven correct by experiment that would allow for greater understanding of the distinction between Gerald's and ET's use of the term "mind".

Wouldn't make a hill of beans difference in our direct experience, but hey, I LOVE a good model !

Namaste,

snowheight
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.
snowheight

Postby Sighclone » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:58 am

Models are great. I think they are essential for understanding the world of forms. Awakening introduces another perspective, however, and its models are all paradoxes -- models which don't make sense, but whose very inscrutability contain a special charm. "Mumbo-jumbo" is the best the mind can do when confronted with a paradox such as
"Form is Emptiness; Emptiness is Form" (Heart Sutra) or "What we are looking for is what is looking." (St. Francis of Assisi). Perhaps it is the subtle appeal of these conundrums that suggests Self is lurking everywhere. Otherwise we would just toss them out as mumbo-jumbo. And certainly not waste time with "not two."

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Return to Recommended Links