Brilliant introduction to the Upanishads

Post links to sites, web pages, videos, etc.
Forum rules
No links to copyrighted materials.

Brilliant introduction to the Upanishads

Postby runstrails » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:50 pm

http://books.google.com/books?id=4-N8je ... &q&f=false

This is a brilliant, inspiring and easy to understand introduction by Eknath Eshwaran. It is written for the western reader (so not archaic in anyway)--he likens the sages of the Upanishads to modern day explorers and discusses their seminal contributions to modern psychology. He brings in analogies to modern science (astrophyscis) and even the titanic! Finally, uncovering the non-dual truth of reality in a brilliant step by step fashion that is so clear and easy for anyone to understand. I hope you will take the time to read it. I need to order the book now :D
runstrails

Re: Brilliant introduction to the Upanishads

Postby Ananda » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:44 pm

I also reccomend Eknath's beautiful rendering of the Bhagavad Gita :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bhagavad-Shambhala-Library-Eknath-Easwaran/dp/1590301900
Ananda

Postby runstrails » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:50 pm

Thanks, Ananda. it looks like in this series he has a trilogy of 3 books:
Upanishads
Bhagvad Gita
Dhammapada of Buddha

I'm starting them in chronological order with the Upanishads. I'm amazed at how well I resonate with this gem from thousands of years ago (from the dawn of humanity, some say)

I wanted to post this short verse from the Katha Upanishad to give readers a flavor: Since the book is on google,I don't think I'm not violating any copyright. But let me know if otherwise:

Verse 3.1

In the secret cave of the heart, two are
Seated by life's fountain. The separate ego
Drinks of the sweet and bitter stuff,
Liking the sweet, disliking the bitter,
While the supreme Self drinks sweet and bitter
Neither liking this nor disliking that.
The ego gropes in darkness, while the Self
Lives in light.

(Note: here Self is the term used for Being/Truth/Reality)
runstrails

Postby Sighclone » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:42 am

Thanks, rt. When members eputkonen and kiki awakened, they were struck with the modernity of the ancient scriptures. eputkonen actually retranslated an old Japanese scripture, I believe. Eckhart reminds us that awakening, enlightenment, is our natural state. The deep conditioned layers and veils of the ego (also a natural development from evolution -- see "Buddha's Brain" for details) have to be penetrated or discarded. Then they can be worn as garments when needed in a given social situation.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby Ananda » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:21 pm

The major teachings in the Gita/Upanishads are completely stripped of time/place context (and to a large extent they are also stripped of cultural/religious tradition) so they can apply to any body at any time :)
Ananda

Postby suraj » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:01 pm

I have known Eknath Eshwaran's work by reading excerpts of his books in a Yoga magazine - Yoga + Joyful Living (http://www.himalayaninstitute.org/yogaplus/ ) earlier known as Yoga International. I have always enjoyed his penatrating insights into Indian sacred texts.
I AM
suraj

Return to Recommended Links