When Eckhart Tolle dies..

Post links to sites, web pages, videos, etc.
Forum rules
No links to copyrighted materials.

When Eckhart Tolle dies..

Postby Moratorium » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:05 am

Eckhart Tolle is in the media. He is famous and popular. Many people visit his retreats to regain access to the now.

But what will happen when he dies? This question will be talked about in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_LPBLVxe_A
Moratorium
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:58 am

Re: When Eckhart Tolle dies..

Postby Webwanderer » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:46 pm

So the bottom line I get from this video is that when ET dies he "will not be remembered for long".

Somehow I think Power of Now and A New Earth will be read long after ET has passed. He may not remain quite as popular as now simply because he will not be active in workshops and newsletters etc. But not remembered?

A curious first post Moratorium. Is this you on the audio you link to? A little bio would be helpful.

WW
User avatar
Webwanderer
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 6307
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 12:03 am

Re: When Eckhart Tolle dies..

Postby Moratorium » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:03 pm

Yes, this is me.

ET is a messenger, as well as his teachings his persona is replaceable. He deserves the fuzz about him. Be he won't be a buddha. He is no modern cicero and he is no hitler. His impact is not that severe to influence people for the long run. Especially because - as he puts it - people like their mental prisons.

No links to copyrighted materials.

My video is copyrighted by me but I grant you the right to keep the link on this site.
Moratorium
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:58 am

Re: When Eckhart Tolle dies..

Postby peleke4 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:00 pm

This is from "Total Freedom.." about Krishnamurti...

Yet, it is difficult to assess his historical stature. He is too close to us and it is too early to know the full effect of his teachings. After all, for several decades subsequent to his crucifixion, there was little sign that Jesus Christ would make a major mark in history. AT the moment of their death and for quite some time after, who could have predicted the long-term influence of the Buddha, Confucious, or even Karl Marx?

I don't know about Tolle, but I strongly feel Krishnamurti will be known centuries from now
peleke4
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:52 am

Re: When Eckhart Tolle dies..

Postby Moratorium » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 pm

peleke4 wrote:Krishnamurti

I don't know Krishnamurti but I do know Hitler. And so do most people. And this is key. Tolle is neither eccentric nor beautiful. He is boring. And because of that he won't be remembered after. Hitler was not boring, he makes people write about him even today. Worldwide he is known even though he is already dead people still talk about him.

Hitler won't be forgotten, but Eckhart Tolle will be forgotten soon.

But Buddhism won't be forgotten. Eckhart Tolle summarizes, that is all he can do.
Moratorium
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:58 am

Re: When Eckhart Tolle dies..

Postby heidi » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:19 pm

I think that as long as people are suffering due to identification with ideas, concepts, descriptions, Eckhart Tolle's work will remain important - therefore, he would be remembered. But what's the big deal anyway whether he is or isn't? It's the message that matters, not necessarily the messenger. So, he's an ordinary guy, kind of funny looking, and his message along with many others' is part of a wave of humanity realizing that they aren't the thoughts; they are the presence they arise in.
I think at this point in time many of the members here can list off the tops of their heads about 20 or 30 teachers whose messages have helped them awaken, starting with Buddha and Christ and navigating the philosophical and spiritual waters right up to present time. Just take a look at the section on other teachers. Tolle is currently on my top ten list. :wink:
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
User avatar
heidi
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 2703
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:37 am
Location: 42nd parallel, Massachusetts, USA

Re: When Eckhart Tolle dies..

Postby Ananda » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:22 pm

Hitler won't be forgotten, but Eckhart Tolle will be forgotten soon.


What's your point?

Hitler might not be forgotten, but what did Hitler ever do to aid humanity? What positive change did Hitler ever contribute? A person of no fame or repute who sits on his arse all day contributes more to humanity in his lifetime than Hitler ever did.

Eckhart Tolle might be forgotten but his message won't be- because his message has existed and will live on in the core of most world religions, Buddhism and Hinduism in particular. New teachers are born and come along, but the teaching stays pretty much the same.
User avatar
Ananda
 
Posts: 949
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:35 am
Location: Manchester, England

Re: When Eckhart Tolle dies..

Postby eputkonen » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:36 pm

Very few will be remembered by the majority of people for a millenia...and fewer still in several millenia.

But is the lightning flash less grand than the sun because it's light has a lesser duraton than the latter?

Being remembered by the majority for a millenia (which Hitler has not managed yet) is not very important...why do you make such a big deal out of it?

While it is true that the majority may have heard about the Buddha, much fewer know Buddhism...so the teachings are not more widespread because the name is widespread and remembered. Buddhism has been around over 2500 years...and yet do you see a bunch of Enlightened people in your area because of it? Even Buddha did not have a huge effect because of his teachings...although the idea of such a man who founded Buddhism is remembered by the majority. The man himself has been forgotten. Only the name, the title, the idea remains. Do you know Buddha's actual name?

It is more important that the benefits of the gifts given are still felt than the name be remembered. I don't know the names of the people who invented most of the things I use everyday, but the effects of what was invented is still felt. Those inventions allowed other inventions to be made...and so there is a progression and evolution. What Eckhart teaches...much of it came from other souces before him (he mentions Ramana Maharshi, Nisargadatta, Course in Miracles, etc.)...he added his twists and techniques...and so others may pick them up and continue teaching it. Eckhart - as a name - may not be remembered...his specific twists or techniques may not be remembered to be his - but the teachings will continue...and continue to be of help and inspiration. The benefits of what he brought will continue to be felt for a long time.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
Blog at http://www.EngagedNonduality.com - Insights into Nondualism and Living Awake & Engaged
User avatar
eputkonen
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:53 pm
Location: Mound, MN

Re: When Eckhart Tolle dies..

Postby Moratorium » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:55 pm

eputkonen wrote:Being remembered by the majority for a millenia (which Hitler has not managed yet) is not very important...

Being remembered by the majority for a millenia is very important.
Moratorium
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:58 am

Re: When Eckhart Tolle dies..

Postby eputkonen » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:57 pm

Moratorium wrote:
eputkonen wrote:Being remembered by the majority for a millenia (which Hitler has not managed yet) is not very important...

Being remembered by the majority for a millenia is very important.


I disagree. Having your name remembered has no value to anyone...except maybe your ego.
I would rather have the benefits of any gifts I give have postive effects for years to come, than my name be remembered next week.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
Blog at http://www.EngagedNonduality.com - Insights into Nondualism and Living Awake & Engaged
User avatar
eputkonen
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:53 pm
Location: Mound, MN

Re: When Eckhart Tolle dies..

Postby Moratorium » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:59 pm

In general: Noone gains anything out of contradicting me without having something substancial. It is childish to be against my view just because the writer before your post was against it, too.

heidi wrote:I think that as long as people are suffering due to identification with ideas, concepts, descriptions, Eckhart Tolle's work will remain important - therefore, he would be remembered.

No he won't. People have been looking for guidance forever. The church offers such guidance aswell as buddhist monasteries. But not Eckhart Tolle.
Moratorium
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:58 am

Re: When Eckhart Tolle dies..

Postby Moratorium » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:00 pm

eputkonen wrote:I disagree.

I don't care.
Moratorium
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:58 am

Re: When Eckhart Tolle dies..

Postby heidi » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:05 pm

I'm wondering why it is so important to you Moratorium, to argue and disagree so vehemently about something that doesn't really matter.
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
User avatar
heidi
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 2703
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:37 am
Location: 42nd parallel, Massachusetts, USA

Re: When Eckhart Tolle dies..

Postby heidi » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:07 pm

Being remembered by the majority for a millenia is very important.


Is that true? What is your source of information?
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
User avatar
heidi
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 2703
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:37 am
Location: 42nd parallel, Massachusetts, USA

Re: When Eckhart Tolle dies..

Postby Moratorium » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:19 pm

heidi wrote:I'm wondering why it is so important to you Moratorium, to argue and disagree so vehemently about something that doesn't really matter.

I'm wondering why it is so important to you heidi, to argue and disagree so vehemently about something that doesn't really matter.

Is that true? What is your source of information?

Common sense.
Moratorium
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:58 am

Next

Return to Recommended Links

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron