Promising new treatment for anxiety

Post links to sites, web pages, videos, etc.
Forum rules
No links to copyrighted materials.

Promising new treatment for anxiety

Postby runstrails » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:55 am

Since there are so many threads on anxiety and depression, I thought I would post this link about a promising new kind of treatment called cognitive bias modification (CBM).
http://www.economist.com/node/18276234

Here is the part I found interesting:
People suffering from anxiety, for instance, may have what is known as an attentional bias towards threats: they are drawn irresistibly to things they perceive to be dangerous. Similar biases may affect memory and the interpretation of events. For example, if an acquaintance walks past without saying hello, it might mean either that he has ignored you or that he has not seen you. The anxious, according to the theory behind CBM, have a bias towards assuming the former and reacting accordingly.

The goal of CBM is to alter such biases, and doing so has proved surprisingly easy. A common way of debiasing attention is to show someone two words or pictures—one neutral and the other threatening—on a computer screen. In the case of social anxiety these might be a neutral face and a disgusted face. Presented with this choice, an anxious person instinctively focuses on the disgusted visage. The program, however, prods him to complete tasks involving the neutral picture, such as identifying letters that appear in its place on the screen. Repeating the procedure around a thousand times, over a total of two hours, changes the user’s tendency to focus on the anxious face. That change is then carried into the wider world.
runstrails

Re: Promising new treatment for anxiety

Postby amealixy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:55 pm

What causes an anxiety disorder to develop, and how can I control it without the use of prescription drugs? I've had an anxiety disorder for as long as I can remember. But it is gradually getting worse, to the point where the simplest things will cause me to have a panic attack. It's taking over my life. Every therapist I've ever tried seeing has always just given me prescription after prescription. I want to know if any of you have this problem- if so, how do you deal with it? How do you calm yourself down? How do you cope with it?
amealixy

Postby Webwanderer » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:25 pm

Cognitive bias modification is not so different from the teachings of Abraham-Hicks and Law of Attraction. The difference being that Abraham teaches an alignment with Source through drawing on a sense of appreciation to power a change in experience. No drugs are necessary. Just a dedicated program of intentional choices to recognize opportunities to feel appreciation. Endless examples are given in how to develop one's sense of appreciation.

The fundamental reality is this: your happiness is dependent on what you give your attention to.

amealixy wrote:I want to know if any of you have this problem- if so, how do you deal with it? How do you calm yourself down? How do you cope with it?

I suggest you go to YouTube and look up clips from Abraham-Hicks (there are hundreds of them and over time are quite effective), or buy some of the CD's and books from their website on Amazon. (The Sara series of 'children's books' are excellent for easy understanding) Begin a three month program of daily listening to them, and applying them to your experience and see a freedom from anxiety that drugs cannot offer. Source Energy is more powerful than drugs any day.

Don't be distracted by those that would say that Power of Attraction is about trying to get stuff - it is not. It's about attracting joyful experience through alignment with Source. Source is about love in which anxiety cannot coexist with, and active appreciation is key to experience that love. Don't take anyone's word for it however. Test it out for yourself.

Here's a good place to start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9-dtpGXNrE&list=FLPGqOugVieUM4TfYlgvdVrQ&index=21&feature=plpp_video

WW
Webwanderer

Postby randomguy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:02 pm

Amealixy, I have little experience with panic attacks but plenty with general anxiety.

To answer your question about "how can I control it without the use of prescription drugs?", if you can manage to find as way, stop concerning yourself with the future. Be OK with the fact that you will die and that potentially torturous life experiences will occur, including panic attacks. Be OK with the realization that you cannot know or control the future because the future is made of imagination now. Realize these reactions are patterned mechanisms and are real but founded in origin upon assumption, thought and fear and that their creation as well as their embedded nature and likewise their resolution are not in your control. Realize that control on this scale is entirely an illusion and part of the equation of anxiety. Do the opposite of control it. Give up control and surrender your self, allow what you think you are to die and let God or Reality deal with the burden of anxiety. (You know little things like that.) You could stand to recognize freedom by seeing that this is not your responsibility. Reality is not your responsibility, how could it be?

Like Mark Twain said, "I have been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened."
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho
randomguy

Postby magicbutterfly » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:04 pm

When I was rock climbing and became anxious in the middle of the rock wall, a friend gave me this advice: "don't look up or down, just focus on the next hand hold."
"As soon as you honor the present moment, all unhappiness and struggle dissolve, and life begins to flow with joy and ease." Ekhart Tolle, The Power of Now
magicbutterfly

Postby willsth45 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:33 pm

Really appreciate this post. It’s hard to sort the good from the bad sometimes, but I think You’ve nailed it!
willsth45

Postby tod » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:54 pm

amealixy wrote:What causes an anxiety disorder to develop, and how can I control it without the use of prescription drugs? I've had an anxiety disorder for as long as I can remember. But it is gradually getting worse, to the point where the simplest things will cause me to have a panic attack. It's taking over my life. Every therapist I've ever tried seeing has always just given me prescription after prescription. I want to know if any of you have this problem- if so, how do you deal with it? How do you calm yourself down? How do you cope with it?

I used to have bad anxiety and panic attacks and over time discovered that the less thoughts or beliefs I had about myself the less anxiety. Eventually I discovered that anything I believe about myself is essentially not true.
tod

Return to Recommended Links