Holometer

Post links to sites, web pages, videos, etc.
Forum rules
No links to copyrighted materials.

Holometer

Postby ashley72 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:55 am

I'm not sure if someone has posted on this before. It relates to the holographic universe theory. They are currently building a new holometer which may prove the existence of a holographic universe.

More recently, theoretical studies of black holes, and later in string theory and other forms of unification, have suggested that physics on the Planck scale is holographic. It is conjectured that space is two dimensional, and the third dimension is inextricably linked with time. If so, our three-dimensional world is a kind of approximate illusion that emerges only on scales much larger than the Planck length.

http://holometer.fnal.gov/
ashley72

Re: Holometer

Postby ashley72 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:36 pm

If you now have a deep curiosity with the Holographic universe and Holographic brain principle after reading the first post... I highly recommend this link on spiritual holographic theory.

http://www.hologram.net/theory/theory.htm

Maybe, the "Intra-personal Hologram" Model is missing the internal sensing - inner-body awareness (6th sense) and mindfulness (7th sense)?

Enlightenment - Pure consciousness, which isn't affected by past conditioning (beliefs, expectations) may dim or reduce the interference pattern of the Hologram in some way. Which might be one explanation of why enlightened people describe a feeling of peace and tranquility. They are not overlaying their current experience with a past hologram (interference pattern).

Overlaying past experiences on the current wave form is altering the experience of "reality", which is represented by an interference wave form.

BTW, our brain operates with different waves. As you will notice Active thought waves (GAMAA) are more dense than meditative & sleepy waves (DELTA & THETA)

Is the meditative wave more representative of pure consciousness?

Maybe the answer lies here...

http://alpha-theta-brainwaves.com/theta-waves-3

Echart Tolle has said, creative arises from a state of stillness (THETA Brain wave state). This makes sense.... as if you are resting in a type of DELTA wave state, its going to much easier to be creative from this wave form, than an active GAMAA wave state which is already very dense. The Holographic brain would be able to overlay waves, interference patterns with more clarity and focus.
ashley72

Postby snowheight » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:21 pm

Ash,

Thanks for posting that link, interesting read.

I remember being flabbergasted in the sophomore physics class which introduced Planck's constant and the implied limit on the smallest length and units of time and space that can exist -- no Virgina, there is no InfiniClause -- on the large scale, the effective size of the Universe from our perspective is limited by the distance light could have traveled since the big bang.

I also recall my first introduction to this idea (only qualitative ...) of the illusory holographic third dimension -- evidently it was inspired by consideration of what happens to something that falls over the horizon of a black hole. For example, if you put enigma in a spaceship and launched him into a black hole and then watched his image if he were to choose to wave back to us from a porthole, my understanding is that this image would permanently freeze in place on the horizon, as since time stops at the center of the hole it takes forever for him to fall all of the way in. My vague and simplified understanding of the genesis of this theory is the recognition that that image is projected over the two-dimensional surface of the event horizon of the hole and a further recognition of some sort of mathematical symmetry between the observation of that image and the observer.

That idea that time ends at the center of a black hole ... that is really profound to consider. Perhaps this is just a flaw in General Relativity which will eventually be cured by unification with Quantum Mechanics, but still, just the same, eerie to think about the implications.

I wonder what sort of engineering breakthroughs would emerge from a validation of the holographic theory if it is indeed validated ...

Ash have you watched this video of Tom Campell? His group actually holds out that audio can accelerate putting the brain in the theta-state. His conclusion about the nature of reality (with a little r mind you) is even more radical than the possibly holographic third dimension!
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.
snowheight

Postby ashley72 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:35 am

snowheight wrote:....the effective size of the Universe from our perspective is limited by the distance light could have traveled since the big bang.

What I'm still uncertain about - does the photon (light particle) actually travel through space? Or does it oscillate in a local position on a wave-form, not unlike a water particle moves up and down in a 2-dimensional plane transferring wave energy. We envisage that light photons actually travels from the Sun to earth as an individual particle, but does it? Can you experimentally verify a photon travels through any given 3-d space? How can you tell, other than a concept. Do you know of any experiment that has definitively proven beyond doubt, that photon A travelled from point B to point C in 3-d space?

snowheight wrote:....my understanding is that this image would permanently freeze in place on the horizon, as since time stops at the center of the hole it takes forever for him to fall all of the way in. My vague and simplified understanding of the genesis of this theory is the recognition that that image is projected over the two-dimensional surface of the event horizon of the hole and a further recognition of some sort of mathematical symmetry between the observation of that image and the observer.

Another way of explaining a Holographic Perspective.....

In this two-dimensional cartoon of a universe, what we perceive as a third dimension would actually be a projection of time intertwined with depth. If this is true, the illusion can only be maintained until equipment becomes sensitive enough to find its limits. “You can’t perceive it because nothing ever travels faster than light,” says Hogan. “This holographic view is how the universe would look if you sat on a photon.” SymmetryBreaking

Here is a link to another article on the new Holometer.

http://www.symmetrymagazine.org/breaking/2010/10/20/fermilab-scientists-to-test-hypothesis-of-holographic-universe/

To me a 2-dimensional space + time.... makes more sense than say 11-dimensions (as in string theory).... particular as you go to the infinitesimally small. Or maybe its just breaks down mathematically better to 2-d.

From my understanding, you can't actually travel in 3-d without time, so time & the third dimension are interlinked as one (from a photons perspective). Another way to visualize things, if you took a 2-d slice of everything the eye consciousness views at any given moment - is depth hence time still experienced in the 2-d plane? Is the mathematical view-point 2-d only at the observer point (on a photon on the eye pupil).

A photon is a two-dimensional plane of perpendicular, mutually regenerating, alternating, electrical and magnetic fields that are oscillating at a specific rate which is a function of that photon's energy and which is moving perpendicular to the plane of the oscillating fields at the speed of light and which degrades in energy slightly with each oscillation according to the needs of the 'Energy of Propagation'

I got this from here

http://www.physicsinternational.com/WhatIsAPhoton.htm

Remember if light was deemed holographic in nature, one part (photon) could potentially carry the whole view. This idea is based on a pin-hole camera.

Hopefully, the results of the Holometer will shed more light :lol:
ashley72

Postby snowheight » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:50 am

ashley72 wrote:How can you tell, other than a concept.

Once we start talking about photons and waves to begin with we've gone far far inland down concept highway -- A*sin( wt ) is not the wave it is a description of the wave ... just the finger pointing and not the moon.

ashley72 wrote:What I'm still uncertain about - does the photon (light particle) actually travel through space? Or does it oscillate in a local position on a wave-form, not unlike a water particle moves up and down in a 2-dimensional plane transferring wave energy. We envisage that light photons actually travels from the Sun to earth as an individual particle, but does it? Can you experimentally verify a photon travels through any given 3-d space? How can you tell, other than a concept. Do you know of any experiment that has definitively proven beyond doubt, that photon A traveled from point B to point C in 3-d space?

A photon is a quanta of light just as a molecule of H2O is a quanta of water -- start from Maxwells equations, as you imply, light is the high-frequency flavor of electromagnetic activity: an oscillating electric field at a right angle to an oscillating magnetic field each sustaining the other by way of Faraday's law. The quantized nature of light was first reluctantly acknowledged after hard study of the photo-electric effect (the current caused by light hitting metal) and consideration of the problem of "black body radiation" -- this was a huge problem that noone wanted to have to deal with .. really gummed up the works.

As far as an experiment which you speak I can say this much: my understanding is that the really shocking result of the double-slit experiment came when technology advanced to the point were experimenters were able to fire one photon (or electron) at a time through the slits (shocking in that in that case the appearance of an interference pattern is not explainable through classical reasoning) -- so I can't cite a specific experiment but I do take the word of those who have written on this and would expect that as part of testing the set-up the experimenters would have verified that their light source was attenuated to one photon at a time and if that was so they would have been able to detect a single photon -- perhaps I have inferred too much there but my guess is that this has been done.

Another more down-to-earth way to think of it is to ask how light from the bulb across the room would register in your eye if something didn't travel from point A to point B.

ashley72 wrote:To me a 2-dimensional space + time.... makes more sense than say 11-dimensions (as in string theory).... particular as you go to the infinitesimally small. Or maybe its just breaks down mathematically better to 2-d.

Remember that since in string theory the extra dimensions are "curled up" so tight so as to be imperceptible that perhaps the holographic U theory does not preclude them -- have one of your sources suggested otherwise? ... I'd be curious about that for sure ...
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.
snowheight

Postby ashley72 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:44 am

The holographic principle may
have been an audacious concept to propose. In light of
the intervening developments, it has become a difficult
one to reject. Raphael Bousso Professor
Theoretical Physics, Berkeley

His paper on the Holographic Principle.

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/hep-th/pdf/0203/0203101v2.pdf

A Youtube video of him talking about the Holographic Principle, much easier to absorb than the paper!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hub66Vst1YA
ashley72

Postby spikyface » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:25 pm

Interesting stuff but I don't see how we could be living in a 2D universe without everything being flat :lol:

I think our fundamental perception of time is wrong (that it's linear) and the holographic model makes in the way that Butterflies are born to Fly describes it (insofar as the brain is a holographic receiver, I don't agree with all of the stuff in that book but a lot of it makes sense)

I pondered this a lot and left it to the still small voice to come up with an answer to this question: what would a 4 dimensional being look like?

We are 3D beings in a 3D universe travelling through a fourth dimension (time), but trying to understand the fourth dimension from our vantage point is as mind-bendingly diffcult as a 2D being trying to comprehend the 3rd dimension (which it would also experience as time)

But, if you track everything that happens in the universe as one 3D layer of the 4th dimesion, then everything in the universe from the beginning to the end (big bang to big crunch) is one

We all come from the same source (big bang), the energy spewed out into the universe gives rise to form (matter being an extremely stable form of energy) we all go back to it eventually (big crunch) and the same consaciousness inhabits progressively more complicated forms (evolution/reincarnation)

So the 4D being would be an entity like Brahman, except it's body would look like a constantly fluctuating kaleidoscopic snapshot of the universe depending on which angle (time) and distance you viewed it from

There's a lot of assumptions in there but I refrained from relying on too much science cos a) the math makes my head hurt and b) it's all based on our extremely limited experiences on this one planet, sure we've sent probes and things out into space but not much beyond our solar system and that's waaaaay too tiny a sample set to be formulating hard and fast rules for the whole universe

Anyway, apologies if I detracted from your very interesting post, there's not many people on here who try to relate their inner insights to science
Do not take anyone as an authority on what you are. Ultimately all the answers lie within
spikyface

Postby snowheight » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 am

spikyface wrote:I pondered this a lot and left it to the still small voice to come up with an answer to this question: what would a 4 dimensional being look like?

A mathematics grad student once explained to me over a beer at the school pub what a 4-dimensional sphere (x^2 + y^2 + z^2 + w^2 = r^2) would like if it passed us by through our apparently 3-dimensional space ... imagine that the 3-dimensional "surface" of the sphere was all aglo:

- First it would show up as a point of light
- As it passed through, it would manifest as a series of small spheres each getting progressively bigger
- As it was halfway through, it would look like a regular 3-dimensional sphere of radius r.
- As it finished passing through, it would grow smaller and smaller until the last point of light flickered away.

spikyface wrote:We are 3D beings in a 3D universe travelling through a fourth dimension (time)

I think bono tried to bring this visualzation to life with vertigo

ash, this part of the introduction caught my attention -- "Thus, the holographic principle calls into question not only the fundamental satus of field theory but hte very notion of locality." This would turn the interpretation of Bell's theorem inside-out: not only is non-locality possible, it is all that is possible.
snowheight

Postby ashley72 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:48 am

Interesting stuff but I don't see how we could be living in a 2D universe without everything being flat

The observer breaks down to minimum of 2-dimensions. The maximum amount of "storable information" in any given space breaks down to the surface area not the volume of the given space. A black Hole breaks down to a membrane "flat surface". If you could sit on a light-photon, you would only get a 2-D view. We still live in a 3-D space, but to understand it fully, you slice it up.

When I break it all down visually... 2-D observer plane makes most sense. Visually you could imagine it like a Holographic flip-book.... If you can picture that.... Each page would contain a 3-D Hologram - each flip of the page ( a new moment in time) would create the illusion of motion,time & depth. This is how the brain/mind might construct reality theoretically speaking. You still have a 3rd-dimension - its a page flip.

insofar as the brain is a holographic receiver

The brain needs to have a workable mechanism to interact with reality, the Holographic brain principle makes a lot of sense - when you consider brain waves (communication), light waves (eye), sounds waves (ear), pressure waves (touch). All interactions occur via vibrational energies.

Something else to consider, how Brain wave entrainment fits into the picture. The system with the greater frequency slows, and the other accelerates. When you sense a Stimuli (light waves or sounds waves). Brain waves will automatically follow the frequency if they are in the same period. A bit like "Monkey See" - "Monkey Do" :lol:

This could explain the "Monkey Mind" syndrome people experience when they start to monitor their thoughts? Its involuntary process of harmonization or synchronization going on with the internal waves and external waves. This could explain why when you focus awareness on the no-thing, the nameless, stillness - that frequency follows to a low frequency brain wave (calm and tranquil feelings of bliss).

In Everyday life, human behaviour is often conformist in nature. We relate better when our behaviours mimic one another or fall into unison. So many expressions, "We're on the same Wave-Length, "Birds of Feather Flock together" follow this very basic principle of harmonisation or synchronization.
ashley72

Postby ashley72 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:25 am

Another good source of information on the Holographic Principle with respect to Consciousness.

http://enchantedmind.com/html/science/quantum_brain.html

It covers the following topics:

1. MECHANICS OF NEURONAL FIRING
  2. WE CANNOT PERCEIVE WHAT WE CANNOT CONCEIVE
  3. CODED WAVE INFORMATION
  4. HOLOGRAPHIC MODEL OF CONSCIOUSNESS
  5. CONSCIOUSNESS AS A SUPERCONDUCTOR
  6. CONCLUSION
ashley72

Return to Recommended Links