Response to Eckhart Tolle's End of Suffering Video

Post links to sites, web pages, videos, etc.
Forum rules
No links to copyrighted materials.

Response to Eckhart Tolle's End of Suffering Video

Postby anton » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:58 am

anton

Re: Response to Eckhart Tolle's End of Suffering Video

Postby kiki » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:56 am

What is this guy's (your?) teaching on waking to your essence? That's what Tolle's teaching is about. ET says to change what you can, but what cannot be changed must be accepted. In TPON he says that when you get stuck in the mud you don't just sit there and do nothing; do what can be done, and if NOTHING can be done then accept. To mentally say no to what can't be changed is where suffering arises. Feel your pain by accepting its presence, not resist it. This guy (you?) hasn't done his homework on Tolle. He's (you?) not understanding the deeper meaning behind acceptance, and misrepresents what Tolle is saying.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby walken » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:57 am

If you are in a marriage or in a relationship where and your partner is very abusive. The guy get drunk and he beat you up. Are you going to quote Eckhart Tolle and say, "I accept the situation as it is."?

Hell no! You kick him in the nuts and walk out the door. Then you quote Eckhart and say, "I accept the situation as it is!!!"
walken

Postby anton » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:11 pm

A new earth is something we must create. it is not done for us. Hence "do not resist what is" simply accepts and allows current abusive systems, case in point, the current Banking systems, are you going to accept and allow it to continue simply because at individual level you're unable to change the banking laws? Or have you got an effective solution that will birth a new earth? investigate equalmoney dot org. i am grateful ET from the perspective he is one of the best in a world of gurus, and his teachings about thoughts/thinking is cool. but he got no practical tool for self change nor solution to world change. its cool, lets learn from "what is here without resistance" shall we?
anton

Postby Ananda » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:09 pm

Hello anton,

Response to Eckhart Tolle's End of suffering Video.

This response is an ill-informed strawman. The views which the author is attacking here do not represent Eckhart's views at all; they are a distortion, a misrepresentation of Eckhart's teaching in order to serve the author's own agenda. If you actually read The Power of Now it recommends a two pronged approach to the present moment- acceptance and then action. Non-acceptance of the present moment, argues Tolle, is the cause of suffering when we then go on to perform action from that state of non-acceptance.

To quote from what Eckhart actually says;

The present moment is sometimes unacceptable, unpleasant, or awful.

It is as it is. Observe how the mind labels it and how this labeling process, this continuous sitting in judgement, creates pain and unhappiness. By watching the mechanics of the mind, you step out of it resistance patterns, and you can then allow the present moment to be. This will give you a taste of the state of inner freedom from external conditions, the true state of inner peace. Then see what happens, and take action if necessary or possible.

Accept- then act. Whatever the present moment contains accept it as if you had chosen it. Always work with it, not against it. Make it your friend and ally, not your enemy. This will miraculously transform your whole life.
- PoN, P.29.

Nowhere does Eckhart Tolle promote fatalism. Nowhere. In many cases, non-action and complacency are themselves forms of resistance to the present moment, so there is no scope at all to conflate Eckhart's teaching with idleness or fate.

i am grateful ET from the perspective he is one of the best in a world of gurus, and his teachings about thoughts/thinking is cool. but he got no practical tool for self change nor solution to world change

Eckhart teaches enlightenment, not self improvement. Eckhart teaches spiritual maturation, not social and political revolution.

By the way 'desteniproductions' is run by insane people, have a browse around their forum and their videos, you'll see.

edit- oh, you might be one of them, judging from your desteni profile. Nevermind.

An interesting read; http://destenicult.blogspot.com/p/desteni-what-is-it.html

:)
Last edited by Ananda on Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ananda

Postby randomguy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:38 pm

The opinions of the guy speaking in the video come from a misunderstanding of ET's teaching. Acceptance is not a suggestion for passivity. Nor is it a message intended to be proselytized to others (such as the starving people example in the narration).

Acceptance is an invitation to realize that one does not need to identify with the head spinning spiral of thoughts that disagree with reality should they occur.

Perhaps it can be difficult to imagine or remember that peace, compassion, clear thinking and intuition exist naturally without an idealism or conceptual goal to believe in or become passionate about.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho
randomguy

Postby anton » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:32 pm

time will tell. enjoy it was fun. :-)

for the record i was an ET student for 3 years, got all of his books and DVDs (40+), liked his teachings about ego/thoughts/painbody etc, however since applying desteni tools, now its a whole different experience . ET was a teacher on my way here, i must not forget that. self enligtenment, nay not interested, what you goning to do for yourself or for the world with your enligghtenment ?
anton

Postby Ananda » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:10 pm

Hello anton,

since applying desteni tools, now its a whole different experience . ET was a teacher on my way here, i must not forget that. self enligtenment, nay not interested, what you goning to do for yourself or for the world with your enligghtenment ?

Putting all of the insane ranting and beliefs of the desteni folks aside, I assume you have read the desteni I process website?

Read these two pages fully;

http://desteniiprocess.com/income

http://desteniiprocess.com/pricing

and then read this fully;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_scheme

You are being conned. The 'downline' you've been recruited into is nothing but a very transparent fraud.

This is the loon taking all of your money;

http://www.youtube.com/user/BernardPoolman#p/u

And this is Adolf Hitler, speaking through a spokesperson for Desteni;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfTJGAVMCDk

And this is Anu, the reptilian God;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH0pgDeOL4M&feature=related

Enough said, I would think.

Ananda

Postby anton » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:17 pm

apply the tool of self-forgiveness for 2-3 weeks, then lets return to this debate. it was fun. enjoy.
anton

Postby Ananda » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:43 pm

Hello anton,

apply the tool of self-forgiveness for 2-3 weeks, then lets return to this debate. it was fun. enjoy.

Oh, no, no. I'm not here for a debate (you'd know if I were); I see nothing worth debating here, it seems simple enough. I'm not available for recruitment either, i'm just a concerned well-wisher. I have a feeling this tool of self-forgiveness will come in handy for you when you realize you've been scammed.

Still, if it helps you, why not?

Ananda

Postby kiki » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:45 pm

Just what we need, a multi-level marketing scheme. It appears to be the Amway of the spiritual marketplace; I guess it had to happen - "get your spiritual fix and pad your wallet" will appeal to lots of people who don't really understand what awakening is about.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby hanss » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:01 pm

I feel sorry for the humans - August Strindberg
"In today's rush we all think too much, seek too much, want too much and forget about the joy of just Being."
(Eckhart Tolle)
hanss

Postby snowheight » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:28 pm

walken wrote:If you are in a marriage or in a relationship where and your partner is very abusive. The guy get drunk and he beat you up. Are you going to quote Eckhart Tolle and say, "I accept the situation as it is."?

Hell no! You kick him in the nuts and walk out the door. Then you quote Eckhart and say, "I accept the situation as it is!!!"

The question about accepting the nasty situation belies a common misunderstanding of Tolle's pointers. Tolle does not say that we must accept some future now, only right Now -- this is an instance where adopting a perspective on the definition of the term "Now" as a moment in time helps rather than hinders.

So in accepting that one is in an abusive relationship and taking action from a still, quiet place, is exactly in line with what Tolle says.

randomguy wrote:The opinions of the guy speaking in the video come from a misunderstanding of ET's teaching. Acceptance is not a suggestion for passivity. Nor is it a message intended to be proselytized to others (such as the starving people example in the narration).

Acceptance is an invitation to realize that one does not need to identify with the head spinning spiral of thoughts that disagree with reality should they occur.

Perhaps it can be difficult to imagine or remember that peace, compassion, clear thinking and intuition exist naturally without an idealism or conceptual goal to believe in or become passionate about.

That was really well put rg.
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.
snowheight

Postby Kutso » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:55 pm

Okay, Anton. I listen to a few minutes of the video, and it is pretty clear that you have not understood what "accept what is" means. Being raped and not doing anything about it is not "accepting what is". It is just stupid. "Accepting what is" is accepting that someone wants to rape you, instead of denying that someone wants to rape you, and then kicking the guy in the nuts and running away.
Or maybe you like being raped and you can let him go ahead and do that. But then maybe he does not want to rape you, and then you have to accept that as well so you don't suffer from not being raped. You see what "accepting what is" is now?
Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that.
Kutso

Postby arel » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:17 am

Accepting or not accepting is not a choice you can make. You are acceptance yourself. Resistance is not in your nature. Resistance is known by you. What doesn’t accept is conditioned reaction, the mind, ego. When ET says to you “accept” or ‘surrender” he is speaking to your conditioning. And if you do accept whatever happens, you’ll be more open to your true nature, which is higher intelligence. It’s a friendly advice from him, you don’t have to accept anything…
What I say is only my viewpoint.
arel

Return to Recommended Links