anxiety

Post links to sites, web pages, videos, etc.
Forum rules
No links to copyrighted materials.

anxiety

Postby michena » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:56 am

What is the link between anxiety disorder and rapid weight loss? Is it possible/plausible that those with anxiety disorders can lose weight without decreasing appetite if they tend to pace, run long distances and fidget? I suppose what I'm asking is; are you more likely to burn calories in prolonged time periods of high anxiety? Curious due to seemingly hemorrhaging weight lately in the face of stress.
michena

Re: anxiety

Postby kiki » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:38 pm

Is it possible/plausible that those with anxiety disorders can lose weight without decreasing appetite if they tend to pace, run long distances and fidget?

Sure. Assuming there is nothing physically wrong, as long as you burn more calories than you consume you will lose weight. Any time you move your body calories get burned at a faster rate. Pacing, running, and fidgeting are all ways to burn calories. Your metabolism might be one that easily gets revved up when exercising, and an increased metabolism tends to stay at a higher level even when resting and that will burn calories faster. This is why exercise is recommended to people who want to lose weight. Aside from feeling and looking better your increased resting metabolism is raised which means you are burning more calories than if your metabolism is slower.

I suppose what I'm asking is; are you more likely to burn calories in prolonged time periods of high anxiety?

Sounds like that's what's happening.

By the way, welcome to the board.

kiki
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Re: anxiety

Postby runstrails » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:12 pm

Of course, excercise could help you become less anxious too.
runstrails

Return to Recommended Links