Neuroscience article on Near Death Experiences

Post links to sites, web pages, videos, etc.
Forum rules
No links to copyrighted materials.

Neuroscience article on Near Death Experiences

Postby runstrails » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:10 am

This is from one of the high-quality cognitive science journals.

http://www.cell.com/trends/cognitive-sc ... -0#Summary

Clink on the PDF on the right hand side.
runstrails

Re: Neuroscience article on Near Death Experiences

Postby unbornawakened » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:04 pm

An article pompous and full of itself. Empty of explanation. Simply dismissive of NDE interpretations, yet provides no new insights.
Of course, these researchers could never imagine that if a part of the brain is shocked into death, there will be an awakening - just as from a dream.
They think a few neurons firing is all there is ...
I admire scientific endeavours, but when there is no humility and acceptance of ignorance it simply is no longer scientific but only disguised as such.
unbornawakened

Postby runstrails » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:04 pm

I'm not sure that many scientific researchers are aware of awakening.
I agree with you about the tone of the article---but I liked the explanations. In the end, it's all happening in the brain. It's all happening inside you. It also suggests that we all have access to that neural circuitry--it just gets activated in a certain way in NDE cases for reasons that are not yet clear. My guess is that similar neural networks might be activated when one goes into deep samadhi--but that research is still years away for mainstream science :wink:
runstrails

Postby snowheight » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:56 pm

This is what progress looks like.

10 or 20 years ago an article like this would have destroyed the careers of the authors just because they had even deigned to consider the question ... one filter that applies is that perhaps the cumulative sound of all of that empirical evidence (unsupported by any material theory) apparently got too loud to be ignored.

While I have no personal belief or dis-belief in the fight, if you are someone who wants to see NDE's accepted by the mainstream then this article represents an opportunity to participate in the scientific process, a process driven by skepticism. It's the same process that's been applied to all of the most treasured and accepted bedrock theories in science today. At one time, Einstein was somewhat of a crackpot and try to imagine the reaction to Pasteur's claim that disease was caused by tiny unseen little creatures that noone had ever dreamed existed before.

I'll offer the observation that the NDE'rs might not have an ultimate chance of prevailing unless a core assumption of science: that everything is made up of material in the form of atoms and sub-atomic particles, is replaced with the assumption that everything is made up of "Consciousness" -- whatever that might mean.
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.
snowheight

Postby unbornawakened » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:22 pm

Well, it was a metaphor. In dreams, when something awful happens you wake up from the dream. Perhaps if the scientists in the dream analyzed the dreamer's brain they would find some neural correlate.
unbornawakened

Postby AutismSpeaks86 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:12 pm

I think that there is a very hazy line between science and faith. While some of these things can be explained when someone, for example, has a traumatic brain injury, there are also some experiences that can't quite be explained. I'm currently studying neuropsychology, and there are a lot of people in my classes who want to explain away near death experiences, but I think that science (or at least the science we know about) can only explain so much. I really enjoy these discussions though, and if you are thinking about studying neuropsychology, check out my website to find the right program for you!
AutismSpeaks86

Return to Recommended Links