Epilepsy or anxiety?

Here you can introduce yourself to the rest of the members and visitors.

Epilepsy or anxiety?

Postby Badger » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:34 pm

Hi there,

Right... how much should I write without boring everyone and how honest should I be?

I am in my mid-30s and about three years ago I started having small "attacks" which occurred fairly regularly. I could go for two weeks without one and then have an attack every day for a week.

They seemed to start after the birth of my daughter which with hindsight I found a stressful time. Just previously I had lost my job, my mother and grandfather and seemed to make up for it by regularly binge drinking and leading a very unhealthy lifestyle.

I would feel a tingling sensation in my brain and then become afraid that I would have an attack and this fear would eventually lead to me to actually having an attack!

One day at work I actually passed out and ended up in hospital.

I have seen a multitude of doctors and frustratingly they all have different thoughts. There is a pretty even split as to whether I am suffering from anxiety attacks or epilepsy. I am taking Keppra to see if that will help and am trying to lead as healthy a lifestyle as possible these days.

I am currently rereading The Power of Now which was recommended by my psychotherapist and I find the "living for the moment" philosophy one that has helped me to some extent.

To be honest I am a fairly cynical person. I see Eckhart Tolle has made good money from his teachings and charges $150 for his seminars. I also see that even on this forum there is advertising to chat live to single Chinese ladies!

Nevertheless, I hope to get to the bottom of my problems sooner rather than later.

Regards,

Badger
Badger

Re: Epilepsy or anxiety?

Postby Webwanderer » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:56 am

Welcome Badger. My suggestion is that if $150 seems unreasonable then don't pay it. There is endless amounts of free literature and YouTubes from Tolle and many others of a similar teaching available. The worst thing you can do is get distracted from the more important issues by the cost of someones seminar.

Consider the nature and direction of your thoughts. The more you think about your concerns the more you focus energy upon them. Your emotions and how you feel when you think certain thoughts will tell you if where you are consciously focused is productive or not - and continually focusing on your problems is certainly adding energy to the very experiences you do not want.

Try reading, watching and listening only to uplifting and inspiring material. Completely, or as best you can, cleanse your life of those conditions and experiences that cause you to feel less than what you would prefer. Instead immerse yourself in the beauty and upliftment that life offers. There's plenty of both available. Fortunately, and for the most part, you get to choose what you bring into consciousness.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby karmarider » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:52 am

As WW points out, you can get Eckhart Tolle's material through youtube and used books, and there are many other similar messengers who do not charge for their material. There's no need to pay for seminars. There are retreats (dhamma.org for example) which operate entirely on voluntary donations. Meetup.com is another avenue.

Something has resonated with you--keep going.
karmarider

Postby rideforever » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:47 am

You have a good sense of how these attacks started ... all the events that have happened in your family. Wouldn't you like to start there, to look at and resolve these things ?

When my mother died last year, it hit me very hard. The thing that I found most "useful" -if that's the right word- to go into the terrible pain and heal, was a guided meditation - I will give you the link at the end.

The advantages of trying this method to see if it helps you are : you don't have to do much work - just listen and let yourself go into it, she will guide you. You can download it and try it immediately, it costs $12. So you don't have to spend a lot of time deciding whether it will work or not, you will know soon enough. Anyway, I recommend it.

http://www.healthjourneys.com/Product_Detail.aspx?id=559
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Postby Badger » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:07 am

Thank you so much for your replies - I am a naturally cynical person so my negativity probably reflects in my post and explains why I feel the way I do!

I will take your comments on board and they are much appreciated... am going to see someone today who is an expert on meditation and fully understand that I need to change the way I do things to move forward.

Kind regards,
Badger

Postby Beatles65 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:01 am

Hi Badger,
This is my very first post here - but I thought I would jump in on this topic as an expert on anxiety. It sounds like you were under an inordinate amount of stress when all this started. Anxiety can cause over 100 different physical symptoms. Some of them seem like they would not be related to anxiety.

I too experienced similar symptoms after a stressful situation and doctor after doctor could not figure it out. Now I know for sure it was anxiety because it has happened a few times over the past 14 years - and it is always right after a stressful situation like losing a job.

I am new to Eckhart Tolle but found him through youtube and I hope his teachings can help me with my anxiety. It makes sense that over thinking every little detail of an illness makes things so much worse. However, how do you embrace the "now" if you feel horrible?

I am hoping to learn.

Take care and I hope you are feeling well soon.
Beatles65

Return to Introductions