Brit newbie

Here you can introduce yourself to the rest of the members and visitors.

Brit newbie

Postby Lily_Liver » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:21 am

Hi everyone :-) I kind of leapt in and started posting things, so I thought I'd better say hello.

I'm 27, I live in York in England - old York, not New York :) umm...I work supporting people with disabilities. I live with a housemate who is never in. I'm single (which is new and...weird) and I own various furry creatures (guinea pigs and chinchillas).

I suppose I don't have a lot of "content", lol. That's all I can think of.

I have only recently stumbled upon Eckhart's teachings. I was wandering the internet one night (as you do) and I somehow ended up on a youtube video of Eckhart. It was a video where he was talking about his experience of becoming "enlightened" (strange word, isn't it?) I don't remember what led me to the video. But I found him very compelling - not only what he was saying but his general quality of being. There seemed to be something very different about him, even on a video, and I guess that's his "presence" that comes across very strongly. Since then I have been watching many of his videos and I've bought both The Power of Now and A New Earth. I've also found the teachings of other people like Alan Watts, Adyashanti, Pema Chodron, Osho, and others. Oh, and I was so excited when I found out that Eckhart likes Rumi. I love Rumi.

Last week I was on holiday from work - my place of work is very stressful - not even the clients I work with, just the staff!! - and as I was on holiday, I found that I managed to experience presence on and off thoroughout that week. For me it was a very distinct sense of "tapping in" to something deep within...a receptive kind of alertness underpinned with a deep sense of wellbeing and a tendency to smile for no reason. I found a lot of things funny, like adverts on the TV, and I felt like I was very clearly able to detect the ego in others, although in myself it was obviously harder. I feel like I've been very closely identfied with my egoic self for most of my life. I've suffered from pretty bad self-esteem and I can see now that I've used a lot of egoic strategies to try and make myself feel better. But now I'm going off on a tangent...

I've just returned from holiday and gone back to work, and before I even stepped in the door all kinds of drama was happening...people ringing me up to fill me in on the latest installment...people wanting me to pick sides and help them confront so-and-so about what he or she said and did and...ARGH! And I have to admit that I got sucked in to it. So, that's an ongoing challenge. Yes, by the way, I am applying for other jobs!

So...that's how I ended up here and whereabouts I am on my journey at the moment. I'm very glad to be here on the forum :-)
Lily_Liver

Re: Brit newbie

Postby runstrails » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:43 pm

Welcome Lily. Thanks for the intro. Enjoy the forum!
runstrails

Return to Introductions