Hello

Here you can introduce yourself to the rest of the members and visitors.

Hello

Postby MoZeu » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:01 pm

I just started reading The Power of Now and I found this forum and thought I might join so that I can read posts as I go along when I have questions or thoughts, or maybe even post a question or thought of my own. So I figured I should say "hello" first and introduce myself. I'm 46 and a mother of 3 and to be honest I'm not much of a self-help type and really have little tolerance for most of what is usually termed "New Age," so this might be interesting. On the other hand, I have a long and abiding interest in Buddhism and have done quite a bit of mindfulness meditation, although not much of late. I decided to finally pick up The Power of Now after it was referenced in a book that I just finished reading by a British journalist named Oliver Burkeman called "The Antidote: Happiness for People Who Can't Stand Positive Thinking." Burkeman located Tolle along a continuum of fundamentally "negative" thinkers (don't get too hung up on "negative" in its typical sense of meaning something like cynical -- that's not what he means here) like the ancient Stoics and the Buddha. So this made me get interested in finally reading Tolle myself. So, we'll see how this goes.
MoZeu

Re: Hello

Postby runstrails » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:16 pm

Welcome, MoZeu!
I was intrigued by the book you mentioned and looked it up a bit. Sounds like an insightful book into the real nature of happiness. Here is a link to a review of it.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/ju ... man-review

I liked the quote below. I think you'll find many like minded people on the forum that have thought very deeply about human nature, suffering and well, happiness :wink:. Looking forward to your contributions.

Burkeman noticed that "something united all those psychologists and philosophers – and even the odd self-help guru – whose ideas seemed actually to hold water". This Burkeman calls the "negative path": the idea that the more we strive for happiness, and other psychological goods like security and confidence, the less we achieve them. And so, paradoxically, it is by thinking more about the downers in life, such as the inevitability of death, the inescapability of suffering or the impossibility of security, that we achieve something like happiness.
runstrails

Re: Hello

Postby kiki » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:49 pm

Welcome to the board, MoZeu.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Return to Introductions