Hi from Yorkshire, England

Here you can introduce yourself to the rest of the members and visitors.

Hi from Yorkshire, England

Postby Yooman » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:14 am

Hi folks,

I'm a 42 yr old guy from North Yorkshire, and I've been slowly awakening for about 15 years, and learning from Eckhart for about 5 years or so. It made no sense at all for a long time, but I still felt very drawn to his teachings somehow. My original interest in the Now was sparked by one of my heroes, the French photographer Henri Cartier-Bresson, who studied Zen, and had an almost supernatural ability to distill the complex world into a single, perfectly harmonious moment on a piece of film. His photos look as if they took hours to compose, yet were often snapped spontaneously without any thought at all. I wanted to understand how the heck he did that!

I did some meditation and read a few books on spirituality, but wasn't ready to "understand" what I was reading yet, it took some major life challenges before my ego would allow me to begin to hear the message. Somewhere along the journey, I found The Power of Now and I realised on a deep level that it was very important to me, Eckhart was describing my constant background un-ease perfectly. I watched every YouTube video I could find (still do), along with reading/watching Adyashanti, Papaji, Ramana Maharshi, Ram Dass, Lao Tzu, and many others. It often seemed really boring, but I couldn't resist the pull.

I have no idea how far along the road I am, or even if there is a road, or a me, but my experience of life is much better than it used to be, I feel stillness in increasingly chaotic situations and don't take my thoughts all that seriously. I still fall back into mind-patterns regularly, but they don't take hold like they used to. People don't annoy me very much anymore, however unconscious their behaviour, I realise that it's just a reminder not to slip back into egoic mind and the grip of the pain body. The depth of peace/stillness/spaciousness still takes me by surprise sometimes, being so very different to my normal active mind state, and the fact that it was always there just below the surface still seems incredible. Just Being is a wonderful (no-)thing!

Eckhart's teachings have totally changed my life, but I can't talk about it without sounding like a lunatic to my real-life friends, so I thought it would be cool to join the forum and hang out with some like-minded souls...and maybe find out where Eckhart gets those groovy waistcoats :shock: :D.
Yooman

Re: Hi from Yorkshire, England

Postby kiki » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:24 pm

Welcome to the board, Yooman. Excellent post, and an interesting beginning to your interest in awakening.

I have no idea how far along the road I am,

You are closer than you think, so put aside any idea of "how far along the road" you are and just be here, now, wherever here happens to be. From what I've read, your head is firmly in the tiger's mouth, and that's a good thing.

Once again, welcome to the board -
kiki
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby Sighclone » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:20 am

I realise that it's just a reminder not to slip back into egoic mind and the grip of the pain body.

This is a very good sign. You should feel right at home here. Welcome! And, of course, we all live in these little ego-silos called communities, where no-one talks about nonduality...so we slink on home to this little blue forum....

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby Yooman » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:07 am

Thanks, good to be part of the group.
Yooman

Postby jan-sandahl » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:14 pm

Welcome!

Here are some words from another slow "awakerer" (!?) ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKZRInhfe4g

Looking forward to take part in your unique experiences.

/Jan
jan-sandahl

Postby Yooman » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:47 am

Thank you jan, I watched that interview a few weeks ago, but it was well worth a re-watch. I like Rupert's style, he radiates peace just like ET. I find his teacher Francis Lucille utterly baffling, strange how two non-dualists can appear so differently in the world of form! :D
Yooman

Postby Sighclone » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:55 pm

I agree re the difference between Lucille and Spira, and I have seen/met both in person. I believe that spending time with Lucille must be more rewarding than watching videos or listening to lectures.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Return to Introductions