Just another new soul

Here you can introduce yourself to the rest of the members and visitors.

Just another new soul

Postby Xactly » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:29 pm

Let's see...well, I'm a middle aged woman with a reasonably successful life in terms of the physical. If there is an area I haven't been very successful in, it's relationships. Me ego has always told me that I need more friends, more love, blah blah blah than what I have. The reality is that my ego tendencies are such that I just have a few close friends and two failed marriages in my past.

After my 2nd divorce, I did a lot of "soul-searching". Who'd have thought that what I was searching for I had all along! An acquaintence told me about "The Power of Now" a couple years ago, but I was not then ready to read it and quit after the first couple chapters. I needed to first understand some more rudimentary concepts. Studies in Yoga Concepts, Taoism, and Buddhism helped me gain the insight necessary to understand what Eckhart Tolle was saying in the most simplistic terms to begin with. Having fully read "The Power of Now", I find that I am very much in the minority of people attempting to incorporate presence in their lives, especially where I am currently living (I'm a U.S. expatriate living in Europe). So an online forum was the best way for me to find like-minded (or should I say, like-essenced) people.

I must admit, I am still quite new to this and I struggle with much of what I've learned. I don't KNOW the truth of Tolle's words yet. I just believe in them. I haven't fully experienced much of what he talks about. I struggle immensely with meditation, and find myself going back to my ego after only moments of being present. I am very much the "young grasshopper" trying to master the ability of being present.

I have also been reading similar texts in order to keep me motivated to keep trying. I would be interested to know what others think of Gina Lake and the book, "A course in Miracles", which I'm currently in the beginning stages of studying.
Xactly

Re: Just another new soul

Postby Webwanderer » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:25 pm

Welcome Xactly. Keep fueling the fire. Clarity grows over time and with consistent interest.

I've read Gina Lake and enjoy her offerings a lot. I've also read some of Course in Miracles. I found it quite clear and enlightening, but a bit tedious for my own interests. To get the most out of it one is best served by committing to the year long course.

Enjoy the forum.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby kiki » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:43 pm

Welcome to the board, Xactly. I enjoy Gina Lake as well, and though many people find ACIM helpful it's simply too wordy and structured for my taste, but that's just me. If you are drawn to it and it works for you, great!

I would encourage you to investigate Adyashanti. He has many free audios and writings on his website. I especially recommend his "true meditation" approach to awakening. http://www.adyashanti.org/
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby Sighclone » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:33 am

Dear X -

Welcome! Growing in wisdom is natural as other societal structures and religions continue to fail to deliver peace, constancy and truth. This forum is a fine place, closing in on ten years now. I stumbled around as a "nowbie" much like you at one point. Meditation, too is something which will slowly become more stable. Just return your attention to your breath as any thoughts arrive, or find some other technique which is effective. Over time, the mind will become still. And when it stills, awareness deepens, and time passes in a very different way. This will all occur as the veils begin to drop away. There may be big "experiences.' Later, they will be fond memories.

Many people report that social relationships become challenging, but in a different way than in the past. Or not. Many report that one will naturally be more loving and accomodating. But not all. One thing that seems common, though is that "fear triggers" decline in number and impact...over time.

Ask and comment freely. It is also okay to expect clear, thoughtful answers...those I can guarantee...from the many fine members.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby Xactly » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:14 pm

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the insights. Much appreciated all around! :D
Xactly

Return to Introductions