Hello everyone,

Here you can introduce yourself to the rest of the members and visitors.

Hello everyone,

Postby Fore » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:29 pm

Went through some difficult times(hit my bottom) about 5 years ago. Completely drunk and in the middle of a heated battle with my wife I had my first spiritual experience, a moment of absolute clarity(stillness). This experience was powerful enough to break through the hard shell of ego and allow me to experience a state of being never experienced before. This state only lasted for an instance but it gave me the wisdom to walk away from alcohol instantly, no effort was required on my part, I was simply free from alcohol.

I call this my moment of awakening.

With this new found lightness towards life, I found myself eating healthier and generally feeling more aligned with my body and environment. Feeling good and generally open in attitude I came across an orange book on my wifes night-table(A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle). I asked my wife what it was about as I found myself strangely attracted to it. She said she did not know, she had not read it yet, but it was recommended by Oprah and she liked Oprah's books. I asked if I could read it.

From the first page I knew that this was the truth(God) I had been shielded from experiencing. Completion of this book gave me the understanding of how the ego functions, it also gave God back to me in a way I could accept.

The difficulty I experienced was not having access to any of Eckharts workshops or retreats, I had this "experience" singular, and the theoretical understanding, but no practical teaching that I found I could follow.

Shortly after this I came across Vipassana meditation as taught by S.N Goenka, practicing this daily for past four years has given me a deeper understanding of Eckharts teachings. I find the two in complete unison.

I have got into some hot water trying to discuss Eckhart's teachings on some Buddhist forums, I hope this forum is accepting of my views.

P.S. After reading A New Earth I wanted my wife to read it, she avoided it like a disease. Two years ago I convinced her to sit a one day retreat and the monk played a 1 hr audio tape of Eckhart during the retreat. She turned to me afterwards and said "Did you know this?" in regards to Eckharts words.
I laughed and she's been hooked ever since. :D
Fore

Re: Hello everyone,

Postby smiileyjen101 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:41 am

Lovely awakening Fore, thanks for sharing and welcome!!

Great that both you and your wife are hooked on the same thing.

Completion of this book gave me the understanding of how the ego functions, it also gave God back to me in a way I could accept.

That is just yummy :D

Look forward to your participating in the topics.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby Fore » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:50 pm

Thanks for the welcome smileyjen,

Your avatar bears a striking resemblance to me, except that I have a bit more hair than you. Especially around the ears and nose area. :oops:
Fore

Postby smiileyjen101 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:44 am

hahahaha! ... You're a butterfly with hair around your ears and nose?

(I need one of those magnifying mirrors!!)

It's interesting the way our perspective shapes our understanding isn't it.

When I replaced an avatar that had a magnificent sunrise flowing over the water of an amazing alive ocean, making it 'twinkle',(which one was I :wink: both!! of course!!)
with this one, the 'question' was the same. And so was the answer.

"I am the hole in the flute through which the Christ breath flows, listen to the music" (see the love! feel the joy in no fear).

Probably what 'represents' me is the gorgeous totality of this 'moment' captured and represented, the 'unexpected' equilibrium of its parts.

Now I'm curious --- your 'nick' is it from the golf 'warning' term .... missile flying, lookout ahead!! ?
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby Fore » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:33 pm

Yup, I'm a butterfly who is not aging very gracefully. :wink:

Yup, I'm also not a very graceful golfer. :lol:
Fore

Postby runstrails » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:26 pm

Great stuff, Fore! Welcome. welcome. Looking forward to your contributions.
runstrails

Return to Introductions