Innocent by Reason of Insanity

Here you can introduce yourself to the rest of the members and visitors.

Re: Innocent by Reason of Insanity

Postby KathleenBrugger » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:29 pm

smiileyjen101 wrote:I've checked out the website (and the link to the production company) and am about to check out the first four chapters of the book.

I just wanted to say this is simply perfect... maybe our graphic inspirationalist (like that word 'Mirth?) anewmirth can use it in one of his threads.
“I made a mistake” is an objective fact. “Because I made a mistake I’m a loser” is a subjective opinion. These opinions about reality exist only in our minds, but we think and act as if these opinions are objective truths.

Thanks for your answers to my question.
As a throwaway aside, was there ever a moment where you went - 'Oh, but this is just my perspective? Who then is it for?'

I look forward to hearing what you think of the first chapters.

Yes I have questioned whether this was just applicable to my experience! But this addresses what someone else posted earlier, about the value of words. I do think everyone has to experience for themselves, but I also think that sharing our experience with others can be valuable. For example, yesterday I interacted with someone who has trouble keeping his word. What Miguel Ruiz wrote in "The Four Agreements" helped me to articulate to him what not keeping his word was costing him in his life. Support groups like AA are built on this premise: hearing another's experience helps me frame my experience. i can put my struggle with alcohol in perspective, or realize that I'm not some freak but other people have the same problems, etc.
We are ALL Innocent by Reason of Insanity
http://kathleenbrugger.blogspot.com/
KathleenBrugger

Postby KathleenBrugger » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:20 pm

rachMiel wrote:An eminently sane approach for going sane. You write well, very clearly, which is a blessing. And there's a humility about your "mission" ... you're not proclaiming Truth (thank Gawd!), you're just suggesting a way to become less in-sane.

In terms of "questioning the story" ... I think of it more as seeing the story and not grasping at it or pushing it away. Just seeing it, for what it is: (often VERY) compelling fiction. And, once you get fluent at recognizing the story, you can start to really have fun with it, play make-believe, indulge in high drama knowing it's no more than your very own personal mind-made movie. Or you can simply live story-free. Dealer's choice. ;-)

Like it. :D
KathleenBrugger

Postby smiileyjen101 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:48 am

When we share with others and open ourselves to their point-of-view we can see more of the crystal. But the first step is letting go of the delusion that we can see the whole crystal ourselves!

Forgive my enthusiasm here, but you are freaking me out girl!! :lol:

Those here who know more of my shared perspectives will be laughing with us, (we are sharing much of the same perspectives, albeit with differences in our experiencing of it.

Your analogy of the multiple facets of a crystal I have used before, only using a diamond; I saw/heard/was immensely touched by Don Miguel Ruiz presenting his story at a seminar before I'd even read The Four Agreements and fell head over heels in gratitude and generosity with him - his definition of love.

It is a pleasure to have you here Kathleen.

Yes I have questioned whether this was just applicable to my experience!

I do hope the ! was in recognition and appreciation of the awareness of the questioning as an element of the experience at that level of sharing; part of the process within the content of processing the content.

When I first started understanding this I demonized beliefs and the individual point of view. But then I realized how deep subjectivity goes, and how wonderful it is to have the varied perspectives of 7 billion people on the planet. When we share with others and open ourselves to their point-of-view we can see more of the crystal.

When we are aware of the value of the interacting of the perspectives, and do employ gratitude and generosity, we make room for them all, and then we see more!!

Still reading... :D
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby karmarider » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:48 am

KathleenBrugger wrote:I also agree that the only thing we can be certain of is "I am." I am fascinated by the passage in the Bible when Moses asked God what name to call God, God responded "I AM Who I AM." (Exodus 3:14) Being exists; experience is happening, that is our one certainty. All else is belief.

Yes. And somewhere else in the bible, "Before Abraham was, I AM." The I AM reference is many religions and spiritual traditions (Advaita, Ramana, Nisargadatta), and of course the I AM self-inquiry suggestions are always too complicated and misleading, because the mind loves to turn this simple suggestion into something mystical or spiritual or philosophical. John Sherman, in view, is the clearest and simplest about the I AM thing.

When I first started understanding this I demonized beliefs and the individual point of view.

Me too. It's pretty prevalent. I think when the realization hits that everything I know (except for amness) is a story, there is the tendency is to reject stories and make the (insane) claim that I am free of stories. Maybe we do this because we think this is what spirituality demands of us.

Stories/beliefs/pov's are incomplete and can hardly encompass reality--and still, they are inevitable, and deliciously useful to the human experience.

But then I realized how deep subjectivity goes, and how wonderful it is to have the varied perspectives of 7 billion people on the planet. I have this image of actual reality (whatever that is) being a multi-faceted crystal, and each of us sees a facet. When we share with others and open ourselves to their point-of-view we can see more of the crystal. But the first step is letting go of the delusion that we can see the whole crystal ourselves!
karmarider

Postby KathleenBrugger » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:35 pm

smiileyjen101 wrote:
When we share with others and open ourselves to their point-of-view we can see more of the crystal. But the first step is letting go of the delusion that we can see the whole crystal ourselves!

Forgive my enthusiasm here, but you are freaking me out girl!! :lol:

Those here who know more of my shared perspectives will be laughing with us, (we are sharing much of the same perspectives, albeit with differences in our experiencing of it.

Your analogy of the multiple facets of a crystal I have used before, only using a diamond; I saw/heard/was immensely touched by Don Miguel Ruiz presenting his story at a seminar before I'd even read The Four Agreements and fell head over heels in gratitude and generosity with him - his definition of love.

It is a pleasure to have you here Kathleen.

Clearly I'm in the right place! I am so thankful that I came to this forum. I have been glowing all day after reading this post.

smiileyjen101 wrote:
Yes I have questioned whether this was just applicable to my experience!

I do hope the ! was in recognition and appreciation of the awareness of the questioning as an element of the experience at that level of sharing; part of the process within the content of processing the content.

Yes it was! Part of the process was questioning whether, after realizing I was delusional about reality, I might be trying to make myself feel better by saying, "And so's everyone else!"
KathleenBrugger

Postby smiileyjen101 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:48 am

Hehehe! nice one Kathleen!

Have you managed to have a peek into other topics here? I'm sure your perspectives will add value to many of them.

Clearly I'm in the right place! I am so thankful that I came to this forum. I have been glowing all day after reading this post.

:D
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
smiileyjen101

Postby smiileyjen101 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:33 am

I've just finished reading Innocent by Reason of Insanity.

I 'thought' lots along the way, took some notes, and recognise that that is my perspective only.

So funny how awareness of the onion layers intertwining, consciousness and illusions posing as each other, collapsing into each other and elements of them 'and' / 'or' resurfacing is evident in both the content and the processing.

I noted this, on a variety of layers of understanding.
If our life film ever stopped completely we would have attained the absolute present, and like attaining the speed of light, time would theoretically cease to exist.

We all know what would happen then (really? would we 'all? hehehe)

The light of the projector would burn through the celluloid illusion and there would remain only white light.'

smiileyjen101

Previous

Return to Introductions