Hello. New and hopefully not inappropriate

Here you can introduce yourself to the rest of the members and visitors.

Hello. New and hopefully not inappropriate

Postby Brooke1967 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:19 am

Hello
I just registered with this site. I have read Tolle books a few years back and they just "spoke" to me. I'm sorry to say that I have not kept up with either the books or their content. For no other reason than 'everything was good.'
I'm not sure if this is the correct venue so i apologize in advance if I am posting the 'wrong' type of post and would appreciate being directed to a more 'suitable' area.
I picked up "The Power of Now" tonight as things are no longer 'good.' To be honest I feel so incredibly overwhelmed that I couldn't concentrate on what I was reading. I'm afraid I'm in a bad state as of late. For fear of sounding melodramatic, I am in desperate need of 'rescue.' My 'ego' has completely taken over and I can literally feel myself drowning (rather quickly) in emotions that are continually pulling me under. I 'know' that everything is not as chaotic as it presently seems to me but I cannot, for the literal life of me, remain in the present. I have seriously considered going to my doctor to get 'something' to help me through what is no less than a deepening depression. I do not want to take medication for how I am feeling but as I said, I am unable to cope with myself right now. I just feel overwhelmed and extraordinarily weak. I would like to make it clear that in no way am I considering something rash. I don't want my plea to be misunderstood. I simply (ironic, I know) need saving. From my thoughts and thereby my emotions. I live in a small, somewhat 'backwards' community which makes it difficult inasmuch as there are no real 'support' or 'like minded' people nearby. Which ends up having me feel as though I'm chasing my tail.....need help and support but live where there is none. I do not, for many reasons, have the luxury of going to a retreat, of moving to a different community, or changing anything geographically so therefore I feel 'stuck.' I don't that if it makes any sense but I feel the need to go away and 'heal.'
Thank you for taking the time to read this and again, I apologize if my "introduction" in any way, was not appropriate.
Brooke1967

Re: Hello. New and hopefully not inappropriate

Postby KathleenBrugger » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:16 pm

Hi Brooke, welcome to the forum. Your post was in no way inappropriate. I haven't been here long but from what I've seen, this is a place to share exactly what you've written: the struggle to stay present and conscious in this crazy world. There isn't a lot of support out there in the "real" world for dealing with negative emotions and thoughts. Our society is geared towards just do your job, take a pill to feel better so you can keep working, and dull your pain with alcohol and television. I think you'll find a supportive community here for sharing your feelings and getting inspiration for becoming more present in your life. I know I have. Just keep sharing!
We are ALL Innocent by Reason of Insanity
http://kathleenbrugger.blogspot.com/
KathleenBrugger

Postby Brooke1967 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:46 pm

Hi Kathleen and thank you. I look forward to meeting and sharing with others. Just nice to know that I'm NOT losing my mind and that there are other people out there who may be dealing with a similar situation or, who may be able to offer support. :-)
Brooke1967

Postby KathleenBrugger » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:07 pm

Yes, thank God (or whoever) for the Internet. :D Pity the poor people who lived before the age of telecommunications and had to rely for support on those around them. I'm sure a lot of people felt like they had "lost their mind" when in fact they were the most sane person around.

As an example of support from this forum, see my thread, "Maintaining Presence During Gum Surgery" http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth.info/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11920 I might have thought to do this if I hadn't been participating in this forum, but I can tell you being here almost every day over the last few months and being immersed in this idea of "presence" made it much more likely.
KathleenBrugger

Postby Brooke1967 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:10 am

Hello Kathleen and thank you. I agree completly in that "thank god or spirit or 'whatever/whomever" for the technology. I couldn't imagine feeling 'alone' and unable to connect/reach out to others at the touch of a finger. I have a 'love/hate' relationship with technology but I'm learning. Slowly.
I will check out the link that you sent me. Thank you for that.
To prove my inabilty to completely understand the all and powerful technology, I was wondering if you could answer a question for me....I received an email in my inbox here but have NO idea how to 'respond' to it. A pop up came up stating that maybe, due to the fact that I'm 'new' here that I was unable to do so. I appreciate what the writer sent to me and would like to acknowledge it but don't know how to.???????
That aside, I have been trying to meditate each night. Even if it's just for a few minutes. SOMETHING is better than nothing. I have moments where I can put everything into perspective and feel at ease with 'the now' but alas....they are short lived. Again...better than nothing. It is a work in progress. :-)
Thank you for your responding.
Brooke1967

Postby KathleenBrugger » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:22 pm

Brooke1967 wrote:To prove my inabilty to completely understand the all and powerful technology, I was wondering if you could answer a question for me....I received an email in my inbox here but have NO idea how to 'respond' to it. A pop up came up stating that maybe, due to the fact that I'm 'new' here that I was unable to do so. I appreciate what the writer sent to me and would like to acknowledge it but don't know how to.???????

Technology is complex for almost all of us! Particularly when it's something new to us. I'm not really sure about not being able to respond; I sent a PM when I was quite a new member and it went through. You might post in the "Support and Technical Questions" section. There is a thread there by a new person having trouble sending a PM. The reply was "Allow cookies for the site. That might help." But if you post there I think a moderator will help you.

Brooke1967 wrote:That aside, I have been trying to meditate each night. Even if it's just for a few minutes. SOMETHING is better than nothing. I have moments where I can put everything into perspective and feel at ease with 'the now' but alas....they are short lived. Again...better than nothing. It is a work in progress. :-)

Last night I heard Matthew Fox speak (Creation Spirituality). Someone asked him about having trouble staying connected with spirit, and Fox replied, "I don't think we need to walk around with basilicas on our backs; backpacks will do. We need portable rituals to keep us connected. Five minutes of meditation is good. What's important is connecting, not rules about how or how long." (I'm paraphrasing)
KathleenBrugger

Return to Introductions