TRYING TO KEEP PRESENT !! HELP.

Here you can introduce yourself to the rest of the members and visitors.

TRYING TO KEEP PRESENT !! HELP.

Postby macinead » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:23 am

HELLO I AM NEW TO THE SITE. I HAVE A QUESTION. I TRY TO KEEP PRESENT BUT EVERY SO OFTEN I SEEM TO LOSE MY COOL AND GO OFF ON ONE. WHY IS THIS. I HAVE A DISABLED DAUGHTER AND WHEN SHE HAS SEIZURES THIS SEEMS TO GET A REACTION FROM ME. I TRY AND BRING MYSELF BACK PRESENT BUT SOMETIMES THIS BECOMES REALLY DIFFICULT. ANY IDEAS FOR MY FIRST POST.
macinead

Re: TRYING TO KEEP PRESENT !! HELP.

Postby Webwanderer » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:32 am

Please don't use all caps. It is considered yelling in internet dialog. It also violates forum rules. Please read our rules before making additional posts.

Thanks and welcome to the forum.

WW
Webwanderer

Re: TRYING TO KEEP PRESENT !! HELP.

Postby kiki » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:44 am

It's very common to go into and out of conscious presence. In fact, I would say it's normal for the vast majority of people, and is likely part of the whole dynamic of waking up. Your particular situation has challenges that would require sainthood to endure, so don't beat yourself up over it. Find an anchoring practice during the day so that you can build up a habit of being present, and return to them when you realize you've lost presence in any given situation. An obvious one is to turn awareness to the inner body, or putting attention on your breath and feeling the obvious fact of your existence. The more you can do these during normal unchallenging situations the easier it will be to remember to do them during events that trigger you back into reactive mode. Be patient with yourself and don't hold expectations of how things should be. It's these tough situations that are our best teachers and hold the greatest promise in making meaningful progress. Under no circumstance should you judge yourself for any perceived failure; just recognizing what has happened in a nonjudgmental way is enough.

By the way, welcome to the forum -

kiki
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Return to Introductions