"Bet you aren't as Present as me!"

Here you can introduce yourself to the rest of the members and visitors.

"Bet you aren't as Present as me!"

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:06 pm

Dear Community,

My name's Jack. I'm 27 and a recent psychology graduate working as a research assistant in London, UK. I stumbled across Eckhart earlier this year.

When putting my mind to writing this I thought I would read some of the other introductions. When reading the experiences of others I found myself thinking "I bet you aren't as Present as me!" :evil: Haha. And decided I would use this introduction to talk of all the amazing experiences I've had and how deeply I can enter Presence... Oh ego, my greedy friend, once more we dance! I feel like that Elven queen in Lord of the Rings who's just refused the One Ring from Frodo. So instead of embracing the Dark Side I'll just say that I look forward to talking to you all and no matter what happens "enter Zen from there" :wink:

Forever yours,

Jack
EnterZenFromThere

Re: "Bet you aren't as Present as me!"

Postby end » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:43 pm

Nice one.. continue please :)
end

Postby smiileyjen101 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:18 am

I feel like that Elven queen in Lord of the Rings who's just refused the One Ring from Frodo.

Love it Jack... :D
Welcome aboard

What area are you researching in?
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby rachMiel » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:12 am

Pretty good intro, Jack ... but I bet I could have done so much better! ;-)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby Webwanderer » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:58 am

Just remember - what is the only thing that would criticize (judge) an ego seen to be misbehaving?. :wink:

Welcome to the forum.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:59 pm

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Together we can beat the ego! *insert rousing Gladiator-esque music here*

smiileyjen101 wrote:
What area are you researching in?

I research women's mental health using epidemiological methods but am looking into PhDs in meditation / mindfulness to start my career proper.

Webwanderer wrote:Just remember what is the only thing that would criticize (judge) an ego seen to be misbehaving. :wink:

So the plot thickens... :wink:
EnterZenFromThere

Postby KathleenBrugger » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:06 pm

Great intro! Look forward to hearing more.
We are ALL Innocent by Reason of Insanity
http://kathleenbrugger.blogspot.com/
KathleenBrugger

Postby kiki » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:29 am

Welcome to the board. By the way, I like your screen name. If I were to choose something similar it would be EnterZenFromHere (after all, isn't that the whole point?).
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:04 pm

Thank you Kathleen :) I'm looking forward to starting a mutually beneficial relationship with you all.

kiki wrote:If I were to choose something similar it would be EnterZenFromHere (after all, isn't that the whole point?).

What a fascinating modification to the quote. I've been mulling it over during my morning shower. Do you mean that as Zen / Presence is the Here and Now that we must enter it from the Here and Now?

As you are probably aware I took the quote from A New Earth though it was originally a Zen Buddhist proverb. I felt it appropriate because it so beautifully demonstrates that anything can be perceived as a portal by which to enter Zen / Presence. It was designed as a small reminder to myself when on this forum; when I glanced at my username I would question whether I was Present and, if not, enter Presence from there. But I had not considered the difference between 'There' and 'Here.' Having mulled it over I feel I have a greater appreciation for the quote. When we are not Present things appear to be 'There' and not 'Here.' When listening to a distant mountain stream (or anything else with any of the senses) we perceive it as external but through awareness we bring it into the internal - the portal bridges the perceived separation and makes it whole in the Here and Now. So in answer to your question, for me the point of the quote is to take me from 'There' to 'Here.' If I were already 'Here' I would not need the quote, as its purpose would have already been fulfilled (though it would no doubt invoke a knowing :) ). I agree that the whole point is to Be, Here. But if you aren't 'Here' you must arrive from 'There.' Does that make sense? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this :)
EnterZenFromThere

Postby kiki » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:22 am

Do you mean that as Zen / Presence is the Here and Now that we must enter it from the Here and Now?

When else can you be present other than now? Presence is always now, and now can only be here. The one that would seek to enter presence from "there" is a fiction, comprised solely of thought forms that are identified with as "me". The me thinks it needs to get somewhere else other than here, and that's the delusion. The bottom line of awakening is the realization that the "me" doesn't actually exist as a real entity. When this is seen clearly and directly it will be realized that "here" is all there ever is.

Another way of saying it is this - it's always now. When is it not now? Even thoughts happen now, even if they are thoughts of the past or thoughts of the future; so, even identification with a fictitious me happens now. It is the belief in the separate me, however, that makes it seem that presence is not here now.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
kiki

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:55 pm

To lose myself in thought in an effort to direct attention away from it holds a sense of irony. Thank you for your clear guidance kiki. Being a part of this community is rather enjoyable :) PS. I accidentally signed off as EnterZenFromHere in a post yesterday so your words must have entered my mind on some level :lol:
EnterZenFromThere

Postby ashley72 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:13 am

In my own circumstances, having suffered from Agoraphobia, I can equate "There" with avoidance behaviour. Whilst "Here" equates with exposure therapy.

Whenever I tried to avoid something...I was really fighting against the "Here" which is simply exposure to what is happening. Whenever you are open & accepting to whatever is arising....you are fully embracing the Here & Now. Thoughts can arise about this and that, which for an Agoraphobic is not a problem... as long as you confront & expose yourself to any thing or situation you're habitually avoiding.... and fully feel the unpleasant physical sensations that arise due to those irrational fears. :wink:
ashley72

Postby runstrails » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:51 am

I also love the phrase : Enter Zen from here.
Welcome to the forum :D.
runstrails

Postby kiki » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:04 am

From now on I think I'll refer to you as EnterZenFrom(T)Here - putting the T in parentheses will be the reminder to you that there IS no "there", only Here. "There" is a function of the concept of separateness, a separateness that arises in the mind of an illusory separate entity (me). See the (T) as illusory and what's left? Here. This way your very screen name will itself be a zen koan - EZF(T)H for short :wink: :lol:
---
kiki

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:00 pm

Thank you kiki :) I've been musing over the distinction and have had some laughs and ooooo's out of it :lol:

kiki wrote:
The one that would seek to enter presence from "there" is a fiction, comprised solely of thought forms that are identified with as "me".

I keep coming back to this. My practice had been primarily to focus on bodily sensations and guide my awareness to external and bodily stillness. Having dwelled on this quote I returned to an old thought - If I think "I am thinking" who is aware of this? It appears that the awareness is the space from which the thought arises. That is the true nature. This has led me to place my awareness within this wordless space where there is no "I". Deepak Chopra said some beautiful things about this place. It was there when you were a baby, it was there when you were a teenager, it is there with you now - it is the timeless being through which we perceive the time bound. When I rest in this place my awareness seems to be located directly within my skull but if I channel a feeling of love (either by vocalising the first five words of my signature or just the feeling that goes with it) I feel this in my solar plexus and it intensifies as I breathe in.

I was wondering what your thoughts on this were?
EnterZenFromThere

Return to Introductions