Hi everyone

Here you can introduce yourself to the rest of the members and visitors.

Hi everyone

Postby Dorch » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:10 pm

Hi my name is Dave and I reside in the UK.

A little back story on me, I'm 41 years old, married with two teenage daughters, I have been a freelance web developer for the past 4-5 years so most of my time is taken up with me on my own sat in my front room. About 3 years ago I had a sudden need to educate myself on what life is all about, not sure what caused it but, I have no doubt that my hashish smoking habit had something to do with it :)

Since then I have been somewhat obsessed with finding an answer to the one question, I looked at Christianity mostly due to the fact that my mother has these beliefs and found some really inspirational material which seemed to answer some questions but, with every answer came new questions. I'm quite a cynical brit which lead me to look at science for an answer and I found quantum mechanics and the Higgs Boson rule which I found incredible. It's basically suggest that particles can pop in and out of existence depending on whether they are being observed which made me question what reality really is.

Anyway I'm rambling, a few days a came across the following video;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KopmSpe33Eg

And it has blown me away, everything eckhart said seemed to resonate with me, it all made sense with everything I had been researching over the past few years, it tied in with what I learn't about religion and science.

I have a question, I managed to get a very short glimpse of what eckhart was talking about by sitting in my chair and watching nature through my window, I had a sudden feeling of well-being and an emptiness but, not one that was frighting or intimidating it just was and I was (for a very brief amount of time in bliss).

Since then I'm having problems going back to that place, not sure why maybe it's my ego trying to dismiss it "very cynical brit :)". I have never meditated in my life however I have had some experience with hypnotherapy and the feeling I experienced was much like that of my experience with hypnotherapy. I a very deep thinker and It's kind of like my mind is so chock full of thought that I cannot see myself through the noise.

Any advice on meditation for the complete beginner or anything else which might help?
Last edited by Dorch on Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dorch

Re: Hi everyone

Postby Webwanderer » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:00 pm

Welcome. That experience of alignment comes, not so much from thinking, but through feeling. The mind wants to analyze and deconstruct. But life is a feeling experience. Ego is related to thinking, and identification with certain adopted thought constructs. Being, which is a fundamental quality of your true nature, is alignment with the present moment free from thought distractions. Along with a thought-free moment of clear presence awareness, feel a sense of genuine appreciation for life and all that is. Enjoy. Repeat often.

Look up Adyashanti's True Meditation. Excellent.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby Dorch » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:44 pm

Thanks for your reply and I will most certainly check out Adyashanti's True Meditation.

I have experienced this type of feeling before a long time ago when I was young and taking LSD :) I was so preoccupied with how amusing the small things were that everything else began to disappear even time. Couldn't do that any more far too many years have passed lol.
Dorch

Postby peas » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:20 am

It would also be handy to read and watch anything from Eckhart. I started with A New Earth because it was the first thing recommended to me. Then I read Power of Now. But some of the best tips I have found were from various videos by Eckhart, some of them very short but contain gems. Like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8a6VG4rq3o
peas

Postby smiileyjen101 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:22 am

Welcome Dorch :)

I'm quite a cynical brit which lead me to look at science for an answer and I found quantum mechanics and the Higgs Boson rule which I found incredible. It's basically suggest that particles can pop in and out of existence depending on whether they are being observed which made me question what reality really is.

Would you care to swap 'cynical' for the true meaning of sceptical - that is questioning with an open mind?

If so the questions 'observed by what?' - in limitation of the known boundaries of science or not? pop up :wink:

Any advice on meditation for the complete beginner or anything else which might help?

Breathe out fully, awarely letting go of constructs.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby Dorch » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:13 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

Eckhart's work just makes sense to me, I have a multitude of mental issues which I know can be helped if not eliminated by just letting go.

I just can't get enough of this guy, he is so sweet, genuine, unassuming and funny which is incredibly inspiring!

Found this interview with Neale Donald Walsch, which really moved me.
http://vimeo.com/54220472
Dorch

Return to Introductions