Hi There

Here you can introduce yourself to the rest of the members and visitors.

Hi There

Postby HiThere » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:51 pm

Hi there,

Been reading The Power of Now, and it is helping me. I am 23 years old from the Netherlands and looking forward learning more here. I am dealing with disease for almost 3 years now, last 6 months making very good progress after obsessive research ( a lot of docs failed to help me so did a lot of reasearch myself, easily over 1000 hours). Even though I am satisfied with the results of my hard work, I realized I had to learn better how to deal with it mentally. Also the fact that my life goals that I had disappeared a bit made me feel bad and I still have trouble sometimes with accepting what is. Sometimes I still mess up and it seems I am setting myself up for failure. (for example I feel good for a while and then eat something that causes my body to totally crash for a few days because I am not in the present moment for a bit and do things that are bad for me. At that moment I just only seem to think about short term pleasure, or maybe I am afraid to get healthy again?) I did read in a new earth that some egos are attached to the disease, and I start getting afraid that is the case for me too, so that is why I am here. I know what to do now, but don't find it easy. Looking forward being part of the community.

*I will make a seperate topic for my issues I am dealing with now, just figured it could be useful for my introduction.
HiThere

Re: Hi There

Postby treasuretheday » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:12 pm

Hi there, HT! Welcome!

I think it is quite admirable that you have been so proactive about your health. You obviously have taken the bull by the horns when it comes to learning about your illness and possible treatment modalities that may assist progress toward better health for you. This is your body, and you are wisely offering it attention, care and respect. But indeed, if health challenges are consuming your entire existence, then maybe it would benefit you to start practicing some mental freedom from the endeavor!

Chronic illness can, understandably, create an “if only” mentality. “If only I was feeling all better, then I could start living."

Start living now. Be “better” five minutes a day by forgetting about the health situation and carving out some freedom from it. Pinpoint this energy. Focus on the feeling of “open” if only just for five minutes a day. Tears may come. Thoughts like, “but I’m not healthy” may appear. Bless them, and move gently again to that feeling of being open and free. Try smiling too --- (which you may already know since you are so savvy about health)--- is actually good for your health!

You don’t have to understand everything about your body, but you do need to love it, and let it know you’re going to take care of it, and maybe Part of taking care of it may include taking a rest, ironically, from an over-focus on your illness. Consider, for example, that Maybe a few "forbidden foods" here and there might prove more helpful than harmful, as you experience the joy and delight of a treat.

Honor your body by Not asking it to try to artificially produce more than it can. Don't condemn it by only concentrating on how it fails you, but focus on and celebrate how it lets you do so much: thinking, feeling, interacting with others, reading, maybe listening to music, visiting on the internet, creating new ideas – the list may be shockingly long.
Life itself is the proper binge.
-Julia Child
treasuretheday

Postby KathleenBrugger » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Welcome HiThere. As you spend time here you will see that most of us still struggle with "messing up" by not being in the present moment on a regular basis. For me that's one of the benefits of this forum, sharing our experiences so we don't feel alone. It's easy to think "everyone else just read the book and instantly got it but I'm still having trouble accepting what is."

The best advice I've ever been given is this: most people think enlightenment means you never "get on it" (that is, get lost in conditioned mind patterns) again. What enlightenment means is you get off it faster.

In other words, don't look for the day when you never mess up again. Instead, lessen the time it takes you to recognize you're not in the present moment. When you see you're back to old patterns, don't waste time beating yourself up. Just dust yourself off and move on.
We are ALL Innocent by Reason of Insanity
http://kathleenbrugger.blogspot.com/
KathleenBrugger

Postby Webwanderer » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:46 pm

KathleenBrugger wrote:In other words, don't look for the day when you never mess up again. Instead, lessen the time it takes you to recognize you're not in the present moment. When you see you're back to old patterns, don't waste time beating yourself up. Just dust yourself off and move on.

Well said Kathleen. Falling back into old patterns is just part of the process. There is momentum in how we respond to things - accumulated habits and energy from the conditioning of our lifetime. The curious thing about beating ourselves up for getting caught in old patterns once again, is that that beating is much the same condemnation and resistance to what is that we are trying to get free of in the first place.

Sometimes, it seems, we actually have to remember to not beat ourselves up for beating ourselves up. :? Somewhere we must find the space to be okay with whatever it is we do - to let it go and just get back on track without so much consternation. When we finally see it, finally see that what matters (gets energized into epxerience) is where we focus our attention, the course of our lives is turned and the space between condemnation and acceptance begins to shrink. New experiences are born when we "move on" into a focus of attention that we prefer.

The potential for happiness in life grows as we consciously choose to let go our concerns over 'messing up' and focus instead on what we enjoy. Nobody's keeping score - unless it is we ourselves - and we don't have to do it.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby runstrails » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:15 am

Great posts, all.
Welcome, welcome HiThere! I look forward to hearing more from you. I would also encourage you to continue your self inquiry. What is your true nature? Who are you really? The knowledge of your true self is important as you realize that true essence is untouched regardless of what may be happening to the body.
runstrails

Postby HiThere » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:23 pm

Thanks everybody
HiThere

Postby KathleenBrugger » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:55 pm

Webwanderer wrote:
KathleenBrugger wrote:In other words, don't look for the day when you never mess up again. Instead, lessen the time it takes you to recognize you're not in the present moment. When you see you're back to old patterns, don't waste time beating yourself up. Just dust yourself off and move on.

Well said Kathleen. Falling back into old patterns is just part of the process. There is momentum in how we respond to things - accumulated habits and energy from the conditioning of our lifetime. The curious thing about beating ourselves up for getting caught in old patterns once again, is that that beating is much the same condemnation and resistance to what is that we are trying to get free of in the first place.

Sometimes, it seems, we actually have to remember to not beat ourselves up for beating ourselves up. :? Somewhere we must find the space to be okay with whatever it is we do - to let it go and just get back on track without so much consternation. When we finally see it, finally see that what matters (gets energized into epxerience) is where we focus our attention, the course of our lives is turned and the space between condemnation and acceptance begins to shrink. New experiences are born when we "move on" into a focus of attention that we prefer.

The potential for happiness in life grows as we consciously choose to let go our concerns over 'messing up' and focus instead on what we enjoy. Nobody's keeping score - unless it is we ourselves - and we don't have to do it.

WW

Fabulous expansion on my thought, ww. Love that sentence I bolded. :D
We are ALL Innocent by Reason of Insanity
http://kathleenbrugger.blogspot.com/
KathleenBrugger

Return to Introductions