Hello from California

Here you can introduce yourself to the rest of the members and visitors.

Hello from California

Postby Starseed » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:21 pm

Gents,

I have been an avid listener of ET's talks, and I feel some kind or resonance with him. He is a little shy, withdrawn, serious yet occasionally humorous, modest, strong intellect, and his seminal experience recounted in his book reminds me of one of my own. What I like about ET is the manner in which he speaks (pauses, waiting for inspiration, measured) and the peace that radiates from his face shows that he is not merely someone who talks but someone who has effected a deep transformation in himself. And so, I admire his qualities. At the same time, he sometimes mentions esoteric or otherwise unproven theories or new age currents that makes me wonder.

I used to be a spiritual seeker (spiritual sucker in hindsight) and around 3 years ago, being gullible I had at times accepted theories or certain dogma (being even unaware of that) without seriously questioning them, I started to doubt everything, and then suddenly in a matter of months, and then more gradually I woke up. A kind of reverse enlightenment or awakening. I woke up from the sleep state of a spiritual seeker, and since then I feel so much less conflicted, as if a heavy mental burden had been lifted from my shoulders. I need not accept anything. I will rely on my own intuition, I will read no more books, nor listen to any more talks by so-called spiritual seekers, at least not on a regular basis. Yes, they occasionally do have deep insights worth considering, but I have done enough of listening to others, and now is the time to open and listen to the inner depths of my being, perhaps that which is called by psychology the unconscious mind, a deep well of knowledge and wisdom. I still admire ET but I do not wish to be a follower.

I don't know what to expect from a forum, most likely there will be some dogmatic people (who don't know it themselves), some die hard new age fans, some with an inflated spiritual ego, but I hope there will be a few who will be different. Perhaps I could even make some friends, but if not, bumping into a few people whom I can resonate with will be a joy in itself. Why this forum ? One, because I still admire and like ET, despite his new commercial ventures, and because I think I could bump into some who have been suckered by spirituality and have now freed themselves from its yoke, and then it will be good to observe those spiritual seekers who fool themselves with their spiritual games, and to remind myself that I will no longer fall into such traps.
Starseed

Re: Hello from California

Postby Onceler » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:02 pm

Welcome. I can totally relate to your second paragraph.....
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby runstrails » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:27 pm

Welcome, starseed. Enjoy the forum, and ahem... the forum is well represented with women as well :wink:.
runstrails

Postby Starseed » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:07 am

Thanks for the welcome, runstrails. It is good to have a balance. Any ladies in San Diego ?
Starseed

Postby Sighclone » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:35 pm

Starseed - welcome. Your are clearly articulate and dedicated. I respect your current skeptical position re spiritual teachers, and recognize your reported "progress." But I am a bookworm and will recommend an author (yes, I know you are not reading much now) and a nonduality style for you that I usually argue against. It is "neo-Advaita" perhaps best represented by Tony Parsons 1995 book "As It Is." You will enjoy his assertions that "you cannot do anything to become what you are" which is the central argument of the neo-Advaitists. And you will also enjoy his plain, clear way of discussing awakening...I think you will have great resonance with his teaching.

Regardless, we always welcome serious new members and look forward to your comments.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby Starseed » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:04 pm

Thank you for your kind words and your open mind, dear Sighclone. And for the reading suggestion. I have heard about the neo-Advaita movement, though I am not sure I want to read up on it now, I will save your pointer for later.
Starseed

Return to Introductions