howdy folks!

Here you can introduce yourself to the rest of the members and visitors.

howdy folks!

Postby jungblood » Mon May 12, 2014 10:48 pm

Hi there everyone,

My name's Lucas... I'm a practicing buddhist, and a great admirer of Eckhart Tolle's teachings... I have found that his conceptualiztion of the self and egoic mind is particularly useful... in most schools of buddhism we practise mindfulness, but I find that Ekhart's ideas about the 'pain body' and allowing yourself to experience that internal discomfort is particularly helpful... I'm a recovering addict, and I have to work with a pretty kick-ass pain body - that's what drove my compulsivity around alocohol and drugs before I got sober 12 years ago.... learning to be really still has been a major challenge for me, and I think this idea of really 'being with' the pain body is incredibly powerful... for me it was like the missing link that helped me see where my buddhist practise was being blocked... in a way, the road to enlightenment (whatever that means) requires embracing pain; I have to really be with the pain body instead of trying to avoid it through compulsive behaviors or thinking...

Anyway, that's my rambling introduction... thanks to the administrators for making this forum possible!

All the best,
Lucas
jungblood

Re: howdy folks!

Postby runstrails » Tue May 13, 2014 2:09 am

Welcome, Lucas. Thanks for sharing. Cool screen name too!
runstrails

Postby Phil2 » Tue May 13, 2014 7:35 am

Welcome Lucas ... :D

... and btw about 'Jungblood' name, are you an 'admirer' of Carl Jung too ?

??
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Postby jungblood » Tue May 13, 2014 3:38 pm

Hi there phil, runstrails,

Thanks for the welcome! Yes indeed, I'm a longtime admirer of Carl Jung... I think his contribution to our undertanding of the mind has been truly immense... I hope you're all having a good day!

Hugs,
Lucas
jungblood

Postby Phil2 » Tue May 13, 2014 10:04 pm

jungblood wrote: Yes indeed, I'm a longtime admirer of Carl Jung... I think his contribution to our undertanding of the mind has been truly immense...

Seeing this with you Lucas ... Jung was a deeply spiritual person, he even said to close friends that he was a "mystic", but could not acknowledge it publicly because it would have ruined his scientific reputation ... he was very much interested in eastern religions and philosophies, and even was an admirer of Ramana Maharshi ... but did not take the opportunity to meet him when he traveled to India, because he knew that truth was to be found inside himself and not outside ... which is exactly what Ramana Maharshi himself taught :the guru is the Self, manifested as a physical guru

In his auto-biography book "My life" Jung starts by saying:

"My life is the story of the self-realization of the unconscious"

This process of self realization he called it "individuation" ...

« I use the expression 'individuation' to qualify the process by which a human being becomes a psychological 'individual', ie. an autonomous and undividable unity, a totality »

This 'definition' of individual is very similar to what J. Krishnamurti defined as individual:

J. Krishnamurti First Conversation with Dr Allen W. Anderson in San Diego, California 18 February 1974
http://www.jkrishnamurti.org/krishnamur ... individual

Krishnamurti wrote:K: You see, the word 'individual' is really not a correct word because individual, as you know sir, means undivided, indivisible in himself. But human beings are totally fragmented, therefore they are not individuals. They may have a bank account, a name, a house, but they are not really individuals in the sense, a total complete harmonious whole, unfragmented. That is really what it means to be an individual.
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Postby jungblood » Wed May 14, 2014 4:14 am

Hi there Phil,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post these links and references... Krishnamurti is another great favorite of mine - such a force of grounded non-nonsense consciousness - he made such a valuable and important contribution to contemporary 'spiritual thought' (is that an oxymoron?), cutting away so much of the ritualism that so often gets layered over the simple truths at the core of spiritual teachings...

All the best,
Lucas
jungblood

Postby viking55803 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:21 pm

Welcome to jungblood. I have worked in the addiction treatment field for over 40 years. I do not say I'm in recovery but rather that I am a "voluntary abstainer" of about 40 years as well. It never made sense to me to work in the addiction field and continue to use alcohol, so I have been continuously sober.

In any case, I studied Zen and practiced zazen for a number of years. It also might of interest that I recently completed 3 years of Jungian analysis with a Zurich-trained analyst. I entered analysis after the death of my son, my closest colleague of 36 years, and my oldest friend within a space of about 6 months. Also, as Jung often pointed out, many are not ready for the "work" until later in life. The analysis helped prepare me for my greatest life challenge: quadruple bypass surgery a year and a half ago. It also opened a door for me to creative expression in art (painting.)

Eckart Tolle's teaching, however, has helped make "practice" really practical (interesting how those two words have the same root in Greek.) He relies on the self-evident awareness of the Now to experience an awakening that is simple and powerful and available to anyone, anywhere, anytime. My most persistent and difficult personal challenge has been managing stress which, although I have known for a long time that it was self-created, just had not found freedom from its pernicious presence in my life. ET's teachings have given me real help with this. I recently joined this forum and pleased that you have too!

Gary
viking55803

Postby jungblood » Wed May 14, 2014 11:47 pm

Hi there Gary,

Thanks so much for your message. What a terribly hard and rocky journey you have travelled... it's so interesting that, after all these travails, a new creativity has manifested in your life... consciousness really is full of unplumbed depths.. a neverending journey of discovery...

I share youre experience of having trouble with bringing mindfulness and presence into the really stressful moments... I guess I'm still a work in progress, but when the pressure starts to mount in work I really find that the easy shift into judging and irritation can be so very seductive and insidious... often I find it impossible to resist and sort of let go to it, even though I know I'm being 'mindless'... there's a part of me that enjoys it, even though I know its self-defeating and counterproductive in every sense... I guess I still have work to do... or perhaps better said, my consciousness still has some developing to do...

Thanks... I hope you're having a good day...

Hugs,
Lucas
jungblood

Postby viking55803 » Thu May 15, 2014 2:56 pm

Lucas,

Years ago my wife was dropping me off at work and I must have been telling her how stressed I was that week. She said, "The problem with you is that you love it!"

ET talks about the addictive quality of thinking and feeling and I truly believe stress is addictive. The problem for me is that my body does not respond well to stress and I have the heart attack (age 43) and bypass surgery (age 63) to prove it! I've always done the other things consistently - exercise, diet, not smoking, not drinking - and I finally seem to be understanding my attachment to stress (excitement) and worry (causes anxiety - a form of fear.) Well, as they say: progress not perfection!

The nature of my work is that basically I get paid to think. But when those thoughts emerge from a state of presence, they are more powerful, focused, and creative. Stress is actually an obstacle to creative thought.

Gary
viking55803

Return to Introductions