Hello everyone from a newbie!

Here you can introduce yourself to the rest of the members and visitors.

Hello everyone from a newbie!

Postby Terry H » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:02 pm

Hello everybody

I just joined the group today and wanted to say hello to everyone. I live in Deer Park, Texas (outside Houston) I am married and have 2 daughters. I can't even remember how I came to initially read the Power of Now but it was a couple of years back. I read it and thought it made sense but at the end of the book, I put it down and really didn't come back around to it until a few months ago. After first reading the book, I had gone on to read some things about Buddhism and I actually think that is kind of what made Eckhart's message click. I have to say that practicing and staying in the now is one of the most challenging things I've ever attempted, which is why I am here. I realize I need to bounce questions and ideas off of others who are on the same path and get support when I feel like I'm regressing back to the unconscious state I've lived in most of my life.

Anyway, thanks for having me. I look forward to a lot of great discussion with all of you.
Terry H

Re: Hello everyone from a newbie!

Postby Webwanderer » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:37 pm

Welcome to the forum Terry.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby Terry H » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:28 pm

Thanks so much. :)
Terry H

Postby snowheight » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:40 pm

Terry H wrote:Hello everybody

I just joined the group today and wanted to say hello to everyone. I live in Deer Park, Texas (outside Houston) I am married and have 2 daughters. I can't even remember how I came to initially read the Power of Now but it was a couple of years back. I read it and thought it made sense but at the end of the book, I put it down and really didn't come back around to it until a few months ago. After first reading the book, I had gone on to read some things about Buddhism and I actually think that is kind of what made Eckhart's message click. I have to say that practicing and staying in the now is one of the most challenging things I've ever attempted, which is why I am here. I realize I need to bounce questions and ideas off of others who are on the same path and get support when I feel like I'm regressing back to the unconscious state I've lived in most of my life.

Anyway, thanks for having me. I look forward to a lot of great discussion with all of you.

Terry, on one hand I know exactly what you mean by the idea that it's a challenge to stay in the now ... when we observe, when we take ET's advice and watch the thinker, it's inevitable that we'll notice how active the mind is, how easy it is for a stream of thought to form-up, one leading endlessly to another, and we might even find it surprising or even frustrating that getting lost in thought seems to be beyond our control and perhaps even could be said to be the natural state for some of us.

On the other hand, the thing is, that if it's hard, if it's an effort, then it's not the now. The present moment is always there for us, and all we need do is relax into it.

"Staying present", "staying in the now", "watching the thinker" .. these are all a form of minute-by-minute, all-waking-hours meditation, and in such an endeavor, the attitude toward the thoughts that arise warrants some attention. When you find yourself lost in thought, you're finding yourself in the space between the thoughts -- and this is a gift. Refrain from recrimination over the "slip-up", be kind and forgiving to yourself, and know that the noticing itself was a sort of gift, an instant of grace.

Refrain from judging the thoughts that arise as you notice them, as that will just infuse them with energy and increase the chance that they'll lead to more thoughts. Don't take the thought as true, or as false. Don't try to ignore any given thought either, just pay attention to it. Let it sail on through. It'll dissipate like a wispy thin cloud in the clear blue of your mind. The witnessing attitude is gentle, open and welcoming.

Finally, from my experience -- and from what I've read, this is quite common -- this moment-by-moment noticing can be enhanced if you set aside some dedicated time each day to doing it. Here is a link to one of the best expressions of practice advice that I ever read.

Best of luck and wishes to you!
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.
snowheight

Postby dijmart » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:38 pm

Hi Terry,

Welcome to the forum! You've already received some wonderful advice from Snowy and do click the link to read Kiki's post, some good stuff there too!
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Return to Introductions