Introduction, help with Eckart's ideas

Here you can introduce yourself to the rest of the members and visitors.

Introduction, help with Eckart's ideas

Postby pnasty » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:45 pm

Hey guys, I'm new here.
I'm feeling a bit depressed this summer, hoping to work on that.
I haven't read The Power of Now, but I have seen plenty of youtube videos on Eckhart Tolle.
Could anybody give me a summary of The Power of Now and its ideas?
Like maybe just the main points.
This would really help me out, thank you.
pnasty

Re: Introduction, help with Eckart's ideas

Postby karmarider » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:34 pm

It's been a long time since I've read the Power of Now and I'm summarizing it from memory, and of course this is from my point of view:

1. Human suffering for the most part is optional, and it is the result of the unconscious identification we have with the mind (thoughts, emotions, beliefs and so on) and ego (thoughts and emotions about you).
2. ET goes on to describe the ego and how it usually reacts from a place of fear
3. ET offers a number of practices which can help us see through this, including practicing presence, observing the mind, observing the body, and others.
karmarider

Postby pnasty » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:51 pm

Thank you! Thanks exactly what I was looking for !
pnasty

Postby Phil2 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:54 pm

I would add:

4) the NOW moment is the only reality, past do no more exist and future is not yet there, and when it will happen it will be the NOW ...

5) I am not the "story of me", what I am is not a story and not thought and not any physical or psychological form, those are erroneous identifications ... I am timeless (and formless) presence, and it happens here and now (this is the most difficult part to grasp but also the most important ultimately)
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Postby randomguy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:50 am

The book is in pdf online. The intro is pretty good.

Tolle's words from a couple of portions of the intro.

Later, people would occasionally come up to me and say. "I want what you have. Can you
give it to me, or show me how to get it?" And I would say. "You have it already. You just
can't feel it because your mind is making too much noise." That answer later grew into the
book that you are holding in your hands.

On one level, I draw your attention to what is false in you. I speak of the nature of
human unconsciousness and dysfunction as well as its most common behavioral
manifestations, from conflict in relationships to warfare between tribes or nations. Such
knowledge is vital, for unless you learn to recognize the false as false - as not you - there canbe no lasting transformation, and you would always end up being drawn back into illusion
and into some form of pain. On this level, I also show you how not to make that which is
false in you into a self and into a personal problem, for that is how the false perpetuates
itself.

On another level, I speak of a profound transformation of human consciousness - not as a
distant future possibility, but available now - no matter who or where you are. You are shown
how to free yourself from enslavement to the mind, enter into this enlightened state of
consciousness and sustain it in everyday life.

Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho
randomguy

Return to Introductions