Hiya from sunny Blackpool (grey and freezing currently)

Here you can introduce yourself to the rest of the members and visitors.

Hiya from sunny Blackpool (grey and freezing currently)

Postby ahs212 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:16 pm

Hi, I'm relatively new to Tolle, and to spirituality in general. I'm in my 20s and I started becoming curious about it a few months ago after my depression of which I have struggled with for many years got real bad. I ended up reading power of now with so much of it making total sense to me. Especially the way the mind constructs an identity, and then demands your attention in an effort to feed that identity. I've always blindly given all my attention to it and never questioned or ignored it but instead treated like my own personal master.

So I've begun trying to practice inner body awareness, to feel not think. Doing so gives me respite from the dark chaos of my thoughts, it's difficult though, it's amazing how quickly the mind will run off on another tangent dragging you along, and I never notice it straight away, sometimes 10 minutes will have passed where I realise I've become completely lost in thought again. I've been trying to think of a way to more often remind myself to stay present.

It's amazing how just a little bit of awareness can jolt a little life back into you. The other day I was playing a game I had played many times before and practicing my presence, all of a sudden I found myself just slightly jigging along to a song in the game I had heard a million times. I was kinda shocked to be doing this. Normally I'd barely even notice it. Hell normally I barely pay attention to music at all unless I'm drunk. Why would I dance when I have these super important horrible thoughts to entertain appears to be my usual attitude, this was refreshing.

Anyway thanks for reading, would love some advice with all this.
ahs212

Re: Hiya from sunny Blackpool (grey and freezing currently)

Postby Enlightened2B » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:32 pm

Welcome to the board ahs.

Can you clarify your question again? I'm not sure what exactly you are asking.
Enlightened2B

Postby KathleenBrugger » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:14 pm

Welcome ahs. It's pretty grey and cold where I am right now too. I think pretty much everyone on this forum has struggled with what you're describing, that is, maintaining presence. In fact, I've just read Waking Up by Sam Harris. He's been a serious meditator for 20+ years, says if you put all his silent meditation retreats together he's spent 2 years in silent meditation…and yet he still reports that he never experiences more than a few moments of presence between thoughts.

Personally, I think there is a way to use the mind to question the components of your ego-identity. By questioning the content of your thoughts you can defuse the tendency to believe that whatever your mind comes up with is true or represents reality. Spend time in meditation and in self-inquiry, for example asking "Who am I?"

Most of us don't have a dramatic experience and then never have another thought. It's a journey.
We are ALL Innocent by Reason of Insanity
http://kathleenbrugger.blogspot.com/
KathleenBrugger

Postby smiileyjen101 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:57 am

The other day I was playing a game I had played many times before and practicing my presence, all of a sudden I found myself just slightly jigging along to a song in the game I had heard a million times. I was kinda shocked to be doing this. Normally I'd barely even notice it.

Imagine the fun you can have crunching on some Blackpool Rock now --- the red is chewier and the white bubblier :lol:

Welcome to the board ahs :D

KB said: By questioning the content of your thoughts you can defuse the tendency to believe that whatever your mind comes up with is true or represents reality.

Interesting Kathleen, once one realises there are ranges in both quality and quantity in thoughts, it becomes awareness of process, (how/why thoughts arise) as well as the content.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby ahs212 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:06 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, as I said a lot of this is new to me.

Enlightened2B wrote:Can you clarify your question again? I'm not sure what exactly you are asking.

I guess I was just asking for some advice on practicing presense from someone who has been doing it a longer than I have.
ahs212

Postby KathleenBrugger » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:27 pm

smiileyjen101 wrote:
KB said: By questioning the content of your thoughts you can defuse the tendency to believe that whatever your mind comes up with is true or represents reality.

Interesting Kathleen, once one realises there are ranges in both quality and quantity in thoughts, it becomes awareness of process, (how/why thoughts arise) as well as the content.

Thanks Jen. Yes, I think integrating both aspects into your practice can be fruitful. I think by questioning the content of thoughts you can affect what/how you think in the future. For example, say you have a habit of thinking "I'm stupid" when you have the extremely common experience of thinking of something clever you could have said earlier in a conversation. Virtually everyone has this experience, and there are a myriad of ways to think about what that experience means. One way is to think you're stupid, and if you have that tendency, it's probably all knotted up with the way your mind has been conditioned. So one way to lessen the effect of the conditioning is to start questioning what the mind spits out. The next time it spits out "gee you're stupid," instead of investing it with reality (that is, I think therefore I am--I have the thought I'm stupid, therefore I am stupid) you think, "Who am I? Am I stupid? Why would having this particular experience (thinking of something clever later) mean I'm stupid? Who says so?" By questioning it in this manner, you disrupt the connections that have been established (trigger brings about response) and create a space for something new to happen.
We are ALL Innocent by Reason of Insanity
http://kathleenbrugger.blogspot.com/
KathleenBrugger

Postby smiileyjen101 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:38 am

Well said Kathleen. As a pointer then for our new friend ahs - these things are explored beautifully in Don Miguel Ruiz's book, The Four Agreements.

When we are not being so thrown around by, distracted by, and spending time in, the falsities, we have/are more presence/present as a natural consequence. Then there is no need for 'practice' it's the real deal :)
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby Andyzen » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:17 pm

This is something that has helped me in the past, it's not a direct answer to your questions but hope it helps.

Whenever I start my day, usually when I'm driving to work in the morning I listen to one of eckhart's audiobooks. They are fantastic. They go into more detail about certain topics, ie the pain body, than in his books. Often there are questions from the audience at the talks he does which are often very insightful. If you drive to work, which is often the most challenging aspect of life, I can bring out the stillness in you before you are going into situations they would make you unconscious.

Trick is not to rely on it though. But every so often I listen to him, before I go to sleep. I find it a lot better than going to sleep with the tv on , ha .
Andyzen

Return to Introductions