Hullo from China

Here you can introduce yourself to the rest of the members and visitors.

Hullo from China

Postby CaiHong » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:41 am

Hi there,

I am living and working in China, have been here for thirteen years now. I am 61 and female. I was first introduced to Eckhart Tolle from two sources, a sober recovery forum and my best friend at the time who was supporting me in my recovery from alcohol dependency, that was nearly 4 years ago.

The name Eckhart was familiar to me as I had read a quote many years ago by Meister Eckhart, something about the person who can read the book of nature needn't read books at all. I found out that Eckhart Tolle had changed his name in deference to him. I had also been reading Krishnamurti since I was 18, even visited him in Hampshire England years ago.
Although I could understand what Krishnamurti was saying to me it seemed unreachable, Eckhart Tolle is so much more accessible.
Early in sobriety I would listen to ET 's books but the words were not really sinking in. At the time I thought he was trivializing addiction but now I see he is putting it into perspective.

I was attending AA meetings and getting into the 12 step program which really helped me a lot and I have a lot of respect for the program. I would also visit the recovery forum for a spiritual start to my day.

I am quite isolated here in China and in the last few months I have come to appreciate the isolation and the solitude it gives me to pay more attention to the practice and bring it into interactions with others when needed.

In the last few months I have been listening to Eckhart Tolle daily and putting into practice what he suggests with quite subtle but very clear results, it's like I have opened the door just a little and when I do it doesn't slam shut when I forgo being present but stays ajar.

I have joined this forum as there is basically no one to share my love and gratitude for Eckhart Tolle teachings.

This share hasn't been easy for me as I don't talk about it other than to other AA members but after reading through a number of posts I am very impressed how kind people are to each other and not defending their points of view or some doctrine, refreshing to say the least.

looking forward to reading and posting
CaiHong
CaiHong

Re: Hullo from China

Postby Phil2 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:56 am

CaiHong wrote:Hi there,

I am living and working in China, have been here for thirteen years now. I am 61 and female. I was first introduced to Eckhart Tolle from two sources, a sober recovery forum and my best friend at the time who was supporting me in my recovery from alcohol dependency, that was nearly 4 years ago.

Welcome to the forum dear friend :)

I am quite isolated here in China and in the last few months I have come to appreciate the isolation and the solitude it gives me to pay more attention to the practice and bring it into interactions with others when needed.

I think there is much freedom in this attitude, when you don't need others (psychologically speaking) to 'complete' you or entertain you ... when you can face the solitude, without making a problem of it ...

CaiHong wrote:This share hasn't been easy for me as I don't talk about it other than to other AA members but after reading through a number of posts I am very impressed how kind people are to each other and not defending their points of view or some doctrine, refreshing to say the least.

Yes, but don't build too many expectations, because even in this forum, you know, at times, well ...

:lol:
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Postby kiki » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:58 pm

Welcome to the board, CaiHong. I find it interesting that you were reading and understanding Krishnamurti years ago, but found that Tolle's words didn't really sink in. For me it was just the opposite. I read Krishnamurti in the 1970s but really had no idea what he was talking about. When I came across Tolle more than 15 years ago his words made perfect sense right away. Somehow I just "got it" very easily. Then when I read Krishnamurti again he made perfect sense.

Enjoy the board,

kiki
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby CaiHong » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:31 am

Thanks Phil and Kiki for the welcome,

I suppose what I am trying to say is the difference between reading something and understanding it on an intellectual level as opposed to really feeling it and it becoming your truth.

CaiHong
CaiHong

Postby KathleenBrugger » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:12 pm

CaiHong wrote:Thanks Phil and Kiki for the welcome,

I suppose what I am trying to say is the difference between reading something and understanding it on an intellectual level as opposed to really feeling it and it becoming your truth.

CaiHong

Welcome CaiHong. You've expressed my journey very nicely here. I spent years exploring consciousness from a very intellectual standpoint, and finally realized there was something missing. It's like the understanding dropped from the head to the heart.

Imo, AA is an awesome organization. I've not been a member but have a very close friend who is. It seems to me that the founders stripped all the dogma and superfluous beliefs from religion and created a bare-bones spirituality. The 12-steps are the essence of a spiritual path.
We are ALL Innocent by Reason of Insanity
http://kathleenbrugger.blogspot.com/
KathleenBrugger

Postby CaiHong » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:44 am

Thanks Kathleen,

AA is a spiritual program. When I first came into the program I couldn't use the word God as it was a word full of such negative connotations for me and as I got more Into sobriety the word God was just a word and I didn't feel so hostile towards this word or a lot of other things for that matter.

I used alcohol to escape from my mind, the last few years I have used travel for temporary relief but lately I have no great desire to travel and my distractions are narrowing down and I do feel more at peace with just daily life, "chopping wood and carrying water".

I listen to Eckhart daily as I go about my chores and when I go out I endevour to use each moment as a meditation with varying success. When I begin to feel anxious that I am not doing it properly or long enough I remember that ET said just a few seconds of awareness is enough to let the light in and I relax in this knowledge and surrender.

CaiHong
CaiHong

Postby Manyana » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:50 pm

CaiHong wrote: AA is a spiritual program. When I first came into the program I couldn't use the word God as it was a word full of such negative connotations for me and as I got more Into sobriety the word God was just a word and I didn't feel so hostile towards this word or a lot of other things for that matter.

HI CaiHong, in this short clip Eckhart answers a question from a AA member about the use of the term 'higher power'.

"I can't reconcile a relationship to a higher power?" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdFiexvkqqM
Manyana

Postby CaiHong » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:50 am

Hi Manyana,
Thanks for posting the link. The concept of my ,"higher power", being within me has never been a concept that I struggled with. When I was 18 I travelled to India in search of God, I didn't find him of course but learnt some new concepts about this God thing. My brother, the catholic priest, was appalled when I told him the good news that God is in you, you are god.

CaiHong
CaiHong

Postby lmp » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:45 pm

Hi CaiHong,

sorry for not starting with some interesting questions about you, but rather wanting to ask what was the nature of your visiting Krishnamurti? Perhaps you would like to say a few words about that. thx
lmp

Postby CaiHong » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:17 am

Hi Imp,

I had been reading Krishnamurti for a number of years and I suppose it was the equivalent of going to a live concert after listening to the albums. It's more about the message than the messenger for me now.

There was a weekend workshop being held on the school grounds.

CaiHong
CaiHong

Postby ZenCowgirl » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:00 pm

Hello CaiHong!
Thank you for relating that Eckhart changed his name in honor of the Meister. I did not know that! Two other things:

1.) I teach at a college which is heavily international and some classes are nearly FILLED with Chinese and other Asian students. While it is true that the Chinese women can seem strong, I never fully comprehended this until yesterday, when a mature Korean student said to me, "In China there is no difference in power between men and woman. Men and women are the same, equal. In Korea ...." Well, he went on, but I stopped. I said, "Men and women are the same?!" He said oh yes, in China, since the cultural revolution said it was so and made it so. There was a typically quiet but not always quiet woman Chinese student there and I asked her: in China, men and women are the same, equal? She completely perked up and smiled radiantly and said, in a very feminine manner, "Oh, yes: same. And in some cities, the women are more powerful." I found that very interesting. Maybe the Chinese have distinguished well between equality and sameness and that equality means equality in opportunities and expectations but that does not mean everyone or even the genders are "the same." What are you observations?

2.) I live in California which means that many among us consider ourselves interested in the topics Eckhart and Eckhart talk about. Hey, "The Power of Now" was the book that Paris Hilton took to jail with her when she was convicted a few years ago; you could see it in the photographs. "Everybody" is very "namaste" about everything. However, that does not mean that the deep experience is communal. One's travel buddy on the road of truth is God. You think you are in the driver's seat, but God drives, buys the gas, does the repairs. At the most you are the navigator, but I think God even navigates your navigation. So do not think you are alone in being alone. :D

Welcome!
ZenCowgirl

Postby CaiHong » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:19 am

Good morning Zencowgirl,

To be honest I hadn't given it much thought. It does seem on the surface women are treated more as equals. I will consult the oracle , my Chinese daughter in law.

Occasionally I am asked to tutor students who are going abroad for further study and I wonder how they get on as usually their command of English is so poor, both written and oral. How do you find the Chinese students?

Interesting you should talk about God being the navigator in one's life, this was atthe back of my mind yesterday when I was talking about a new project. I could feel myself getting rather agitated as I was explaining my thoughts and ideas and how to Implement them into the project. I am used to doing things my way, I stopped for a moment to recoup and then to my surprise said I want to be a partner in this project not just someone who is feeding you with ideas. Last week I was saying the project needed a lot of commitment and attention to detail which I didn't think the person was capable of doing but their strengths lay in other areas and good luck with that, I am glad I am not involved. I often find myself saying one thing and then doing the absolute opposite. This morning I asked myself why are you doing this. I need a new project, too much time on my hands and it could be fun.

I have never been to America, growing up with American TV shows I probably feel I know the culture in and out. :) I have noticed the phrase, "it is what it is " bandied about in some TV shows I watch. Is this meant to mean acceptance of the now.

Although I was looking at my world globe the other day and thought to myself a trip to Alaska via China and Russia would be interesting. I have an American friend she is my sponsor but we were friends before I asked her to be my sponsor. She lives and works in Vietnam so we don't get to see much of each other. We are the same age and both like riding motorbikes around Vietnam.
I am thinking about opening a discussion on friendship and what does it mean really on the journey, how have people's attitudes changed to friendships.

I could go on but time to get up.

CaiHong
CaiHong

Return to Introductions