Brand New To The Forum

Here you can introduce yourself to the rest of the members and visitors.

Brand New To The Forum

Postby djlen3 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:09 pm

I just found this forum and am very happy that I did. This past month I discovered Eckhart Tolle
and his books, The Power of Now and Practicing the Power of Now. I find them utterly fascinating
and helpful and intend to haunt this forum in an effort to further my search for peace.
I've studied The Course in Miracles and many of the Buddha's teachings for a few years now and enjoy
the simplification of Tolle's philosophy and how similar many of his method are to the two above
methods I've studied.

Regards,
Len
Regards,
Len
djlen3

Re: Brand New To The Forum

Postby Webwanderer » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby kiki » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:11 pm

Welcome to the forum, djien3. There is a lot to explore here - enjoy.

kiki
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby Baba Bozo » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:35 pm

djlen3 wrote: I've studied The Course in Miracles and many of the Buddha's teachings for a few years now and enjoy the simplification of Tolle's philosophy and how similar many of his method are to the two above methods I've studied.

Hi Len, and welcome to the forum.

Yes, such subjects have been under discussion for thousands of years, and new teachers continually arise to translate ancient understandings in to the language and culture of their own time and place.

I see Tolle as a 21st century version of Jiddu Krishnamurti, who was a very active speaker/writer on these topics in the 20th century. We can see the translation process underway in comparing these two teachers.

Krishnamurti's teaching style was to create an environment that encouraged students to conduct their own investigations, a wise teaching philosophy, imho. He would endlessly circle around such topics from many different angles, while usually refraining from providing "the answer" himself. This teaching style reflects a time and place when life was slower and people had the time and inclination to consider such matters in a leisurely fashion.

Tolle's genius seems to be in the realistic recognition that modern audiences are much more impatient, and usually demand an efficient push towards the bottom line. You know, if a web page takes more than 10 seconds to load, we become outraged. :-)

Thus, Tolle spells things out much more quickly than Krishnamurti did. Tolle quickly dumps the message in to the reader's lap in the simplest terms, whereas Krishnamurti required us to dig much more of the message out for ourselves.

While Tolle's more efficient reader friendly approach has much to recommend it, a downside can be that readers may confuse a quickly obtained intellectual understanding with insights obtained over time through real world personal experience.

Both Krishnamurti and Tolle address pretty much the same topic, and each has earned respect for an ability to customize an ancient message to fit the culture of the time and place their audience was living through.
Baba Bozo

Postby Dragonxluv » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:07 am

I can not answer your questions because I do.
Dragonxluv

Return to Introductions