Hello from Eric

Here you can introduce yourself to the rest of the members and visitors.

Hello from Eric

Postby eputkonen » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:52 pm

Hi All,

My name is Eric Putkonen. Although I have been a member of this board for a long time, I haven't been on the past four and a half years. After years of discussions online here and elsewhere, I just decided to disappear for a few years. The years have been fruitful and I have learned & realized a lot.

How to I describe myself:
A modern-day house-holder yogi and lover of what-is, I focus on nonduality and direct path, but I am not a purist. My two main pillars in my philosophy (as I talk about it now) are "ceasing to do" and "in-joy-meant". I don't say I have attained the highest and all that person can do, but I have examined and found substantial peace, contentment, and joy. Life is easy for me now.

Eckhart Tolle is still one of my favorites and I still watch "The Flowering of Human Consciousness" from time to time. I go to the the local, monthly Adyashanti meetup and talk with locals about some of this stuff.

Probably the easiest way to reach me is by email and Facebook (although I do sometimes disappear from Facebook for weeks at a time).

Hope you all are doing well.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
Blog at http://www.EngagedNonduality.com
eputkonen

Re: Hello from Eric

Postby runstrails » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:56 am

Welcome back, Eric! Nice re-introduction :D.
runstrails

Postby dijmart » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:03 am

Welcome back! What do you mean by "ceasing to do", if that means you (awareness) are not a doer, then I agree.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby eputkonen » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:15 am

dijmart wrote:Welcome back! What do you mean by "ceasing to do", if that means you (awareness) are not a doer, then I agree.

While what you said is true...but no, that is not what I meant because usually telling someone they are not the doer or there is no doer does not help much to see through the illusion.

What I mean is that people are using doing things to become happy, become enlightened, to become present, etc, etc...and each of these is not really realized by doing anything. It is our very doing that is keeping us from being happy, enlightened, present, etc. We are bliss, awareness, presence, etc...so doing anything to try to become this is a distraction and gets in the way. Instead, be still and know. It is like the old Taoist story, a man once asked, "how to come into accord with the Tao?" The answer was, 'there is nothing you can do to come into accord with the Tao...to do anything to try to get into accord is to deviate from the way of the Tao." People try to quiet their minds, but to do anything to quiet the mind only agitates the mind. So over the years I have found that it is not so important what you do, but what you cease doing that has the biggest effects in life. It is doing that strengthens and helps form the ego as well, so in ceasing to do you weaken the ego's illusion and it is easier to see through the illusion during self-inquiry. People ask me what to do...and so ceasing to do has become a pillar of what I talk about.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
eputkonen

Postby dijmart » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:12 am

I get what your saying, but think some folks could mis-understand and think you are also including basic"worldy duties" in your "ceasing to do" philosophy. Wouldn't want anyone to phone their boss in the morning and quit their job. Just my 2 cents :wink:
dijmart

Postby eputkonen » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:21 am

dijmart wrote:I get what your saying, but think some folks could mis-understand and think you are also including basic"worldy duties" in your "ceasing to do" philosophy. Wouldn't want anyone to phone their boss in the morning and quit their job. Just my 2 cents :wink:

Ceasing to do applies there too but only in the context of Wu Wei - effortless effort...or kind of like how in Zen they say when you eat...just eat. Ceasing to do is more about ceasing to do what we do mentally...than physically.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
eputkonen

Postby dijmart » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:45 am

eputkonen wrote:
dijmart wrote:I get what your saying, but think some folks could mis-understand and think you are also including basic"worldy duties" in your "ceasing to do" philosophy. Wouldn't want anyone to phone their boss in the morning and quit their job. Just my 2 cents :wink:

Ceasing to do applies there too but only in the context of Wu Wei - effortless effort...or kind of like how in Zen they say when you eat...just eat. Ceasing to do is more about ceasing to do what we do mentally...than physically.

Ahh, there we go...got it.
dijmart

Postby Sighclone » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:16 pm

Eric -

Great to have you return! You were an important part of my development about eight years ago! I was such an "ego-cop" in those days, which is, of course, being egoic!

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Return to Introductions