Hello world

Here you can introduce yourself to the rest of the members and visitors.
helloworld

Hello world

Post by helloworld » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:15 pm

Hi everyone. I am joining from Philadelphia, USA. I am 27. My current occupational field is engineering. Eckhart Tolle was recommended to me when I studied yoga in Rishikesh India. My initial interest in this path was fueled by a desire to be free from deep pains associated with sexual assault and identity. As I continue, though, I see many additional dark corners that I didn't expect (how many corners does this room have?!) and I would like to bring light to them. I believed I was seeking freedom from a particular problem, but I am now understanding that there's something much bigger going on here. I am trying to be patient and present enough to let the mystery unfold! This is my first time participating in a forum of any type. The introvert in me has learned that people are love and love is good at healing. It is lovely to be here with you all!

-Ally

Sighclone

Re: Hello world

Post by Sighclone » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:33 pm

Welcome, Ally. Articulate, introspective new members are always welcome. There are a few 'rules,' here: viewforum.php?f=9 - most are just normal, civilized behavior.

This forum is about 14 years old, is hosted by a young Israeli, and moderated by a bunch of Americans, like me. You can certainly browse the many topics that have appeared here. You can also browse posts by specific members, and I recommend kiki who is, to my mind, actually better than ET at presenting many things. Click on the member's name, and then "Search User's Posts."

I am so sorry for your early experiences, but yes, you can get past them. Awakening to a new identity is usually a bit disorienting, requiring some re-integration, and a kind of 'restoration' of the ego, relegated to a psuedo-identity, occasionally useful in small doses. Discussing nondual perspectives with others can be hard, too.

The Science and Nonduality Conference, held annually in San Jose is splendid - I've been to five. Check out their website:
https://www.scienceandnonduality.com/. Also, the other teachers mentioned here are great. My current favorites are Adyashanti, Gary Weber (who has a huge blog), Amoda Maa, Jacqueline O'Keeffe, Rupert Spira, and Tim Freke. It's always refreshing to hear a new voice and perspective.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

helloworld

Post by helloworld » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:47 pm

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the thoughtful response. What you've said, especially about the psuedo-identity, you have articulated very well for my understanding. I have thought of it as either a swinging pendulum that is so far to one side that it needs to overshoot and swing to the other side before it settles in the center (or ultimately before the pendulum is left altogether), or, when I am less identified, I give the new ego a name and see it as a combating force for the existing 'victim' ego that has been present and conditioned for so long.

I appreciate the teaching resources very much. I am currently most familiar with Osho's contributions, and it has helped my understanding tremendously. That conference sounds amazing!

I'll see you around the forum,

Ally

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:24 pm

Ally -

What "remains" after an awakening event is body-mind-personality. The "personality" piece is certainly a collection of learned behaviors, styles, preferences, skills, etc. When ET refers to ego as a "false self," (early in PON) he means false relative to the cosmic Pure Awareness / Unity Consciousness that is Self-Realization, and achievable. But the personality can and will remain, and will have components of ego that will likely become "stressors," after awakening. For me, a primary one was envy, that came raging back in various forms and lingered for about a year...none of them can survive the cauldron of Presence forever, however.

Thanks for joining!

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce