Hello!

Here you can introduce yourself to the rest of the members and visitors.

Hello!

Postby jfavro » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:19 pm

I just wanted to say hello and express my appreciation to all of you who have shared struggles, challenges, stories, and ideas concerning your path to enlightenment/new perspectives on life.

My journey began this past June when The Power of Now by ET was recommended by a women who worked at Borders book store. I could not believe the transformation that took place in myself after reading the book. I feel as though I have woken up out of a never ending dream/sometimes a nightmare. It is just amazing how this new realization has affected my life in so many realms-work, relationships, really it comes down to how light I suddenly feel, bringing this light heartedness into everything that I encounter.

I would be interested to hear ideas from others about the role of nutrition and exercise in staying present. When I am taking care of myself through good nutrition and a moderate amount of exercise, I am more able to be present in whatever situation is thrown at me.
:D
jfavro

Postby kiki » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:51 am

Hello jfavro, and welcome.

You said, "I would be interested to hear ideas from others about the role of nutrition and exercise in staying present. When I am taking care of myself through good nutrition and a moderate amount of exercise, I am more able to be present in whatever situation is thrown at me."

Of course nutrition and exercise have a role in the how the body's health is maintained, but there are no conditions needed to be met in order to be present. Awakening is about consciously discovering what one actually is in this very moment. What you really are (simple pure awareness) is already the case - simply see this right now without conditions of any kind projected by ego/mind. As soon as any sort of of mindset is in place concerning presence, presence tends to get obscured.

That being said, continue to exercise and follow good nutrition regimens - afterall, in the relative sense, it's better to be fit and healthy than not. In the absolute sense, however, what 'you' are is beyond the health of the body/mind/ego.

There are certain activities where presence seems to be more 'noticeable'. Some find that sports like tennis, ping pong, or some other quick reaction sport conducive to allowing presence because they tend to 'shut off' mind activity, and it's mind activity which often gets in the way of consciously experiencing presence. In fact, presence is always here, even in the midst of mind activity.

kiki
kiki

Hi Jfavro

Postby spatialbean » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:05 am

Welcome!

What I have noticed in terms of my body and PON is that if I stay present during a meal it becomes very difficult to overeat (an issue for me) and the food takes on a quality that normally I would not notice. I notice texture, all facets of the flavor of the food, I eat slower and I tend to really look at the food and notice the color of it. Food can taste really extra good this way or not good at all. Some things that I never really noticed were overly salty now seem to derive their flavor only from salt, and I prefer the flavor of the food without the salt so I actually taste the food alone.

I know this isn't what you asked, but it is the flip side of your question. Plus it's another doorway to the now that you can use. Bring the now to the activity and see how it enhances what you do.

Claudia
spatialbean

Postby jfavro » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:01 pm

Thank you kiki and Claudia for your insightful reponses!
jfavro

Postby summer » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:23 pm

Hi jfavro and Claudia,
Welcome to the board :)

I have noticed that when the pain body is active that various physical symptoms act up at the same time. As if the deep inner resistance is saying NO to life itself, and causes physical illnesses.

There is certainly a lot of evidence that many health issues are caused by negative thinking and negative emotions. So, it makes sense to me that dissolving our pain bodies would have a beneficial effect on our physical, mental, and emotional bodies.

My health has improved a lot since I have been able to be more present in my life. And I feel more alive in many different ways.
summer

Postby jfavro » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:26 pm

I have been thinking a lot about my original message, and I guess that Ive observed that the more present I have become, the more concious I am in making healthier choices for myself as far as nutrition, exercise, and sleep go. Last night, as I sat down to a beautifully colored salad with salmon, I really noticed my food, enjoying and paying much attention to each bite and chewing several times, much more than usual-Ive been told on many occasions that I eat really fast! Ive become aware that the better I take care of myself, my mind doesn't get in the way as much, especially when Im on a sugar or caffeine high. My pain body arises much easier during these times. I notice that when my mind is taking over, the less apt I am in making healthy choices. It all seems to be very connected and cyclical.

:D
jfavro

Return to Introductions