hi from Ireland

Here you can introduce yourself to the rest of the members and visitors.
mikel

hi from Ireland

Post by mikel » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:43 pm

Hello to all members, I am a 33yr old male graphic designer from Ireland, I would just like to say I find Eckharts story of transformation extremly moving, it struck a chord with me as I am sure it has with many others. I am experiencing alot of inner turmoil at the moment, insecurities about myself and my life, which are manifesting in alot of anxiety and occasionally panic attacks. It is not an easy place to be alot of the time, and there are times when I feel ungrounded.

When I listen to Eckhart, I understand, it is as simple as that, I hear him. But I am also afraid... afraid of the unknown, i have begun silently watching my emotions and thoughts around this, which has helped to create some space already... it can be tough going though... and often the mental noise is quiet overwhelming.

I would be interested in hearing other peoples stories, especially those dealing with anxiety.

kiki

Post by kiki » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:20 pm

Hello, and welcome to the board mikel. It seems we are getting more members from your part of the world recently, as well as from down under. Welcome to all.
But I am also afraid... afraid of the unknown,
This is common, especially at the beginning of disconnecting from the egoic identity. The ego will do anything it can to remain in control, and fear of the unknown is near the top of the list. That fear often arises because it masks a deeper fear: "What happens to "me" if I awaken?", which really means, "I must survive at all cost." Fear of the unknown is really fear of nonexistence, but that fear is groundless; it's just that the ego has a hard time accepting this and remains wary.

Sometimes I tell people it's like this: Ego is like someone desperately hanging on the end of a rope and fearing to let go because it fears freefalling to who knows where. But what is found is that when the grip on the rope releases it is discovered that they've been standing on the ground the whole time. That ground is awareness/consciousness - it's always here; quiet and unobtrusive it is content with things just as they are, allowing everything to arise out of it and dissolve again and witnessing it all. The rope is in the imagination as is the entity hanging on to it. Relax into consciously seeing this awareness and the grip loosens on its own and dissolves, as does the rope.

k

eseward

Post by eseward » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:46 pm

Beautifully said IMO, kiki. And welcome, mikel.

As kiki said, everyone is nervous about disconnecting from the ego. But ultimately, the ego is a machine (extremely mechanical in nature and activity), not a person; it was never who you were. Giving up the ego-identifications really only means giving up your misery; you will still be there as always, just without the unnecessary suffering. Of course, you must discover this for yourself. And it very seldom happens all at once, as with Eckhart; mostly it occurs progressively over years and many experiences.

proudlybeing

welcome aboard mikel

Post by proudlybeing » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:24 am

Hello mikel, I feel that you too have found the right place for the continuation of your journey, I too am a new member and I am finding the whole experience very rewarding, the analogy of fear, and 'letting go of the rope' from kiki is i think brilliant, and i would also point you to a quote from poison ivy, on my intro. page, (I haven't yet worked out how to take a quote from one field to another) , but for me this was most helpfull. I look forward to more of your posts,

best wishes P.B
My heart (and being) felt thanks to the force(es) than bring me to share this site and journey with you all.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:59 am

Welcome mikel, there are some great threads here and some excellent contributors. Be sure to peruse them.

As to your fear, most of us had to deal with it at some time as well. It's the child afraid to jump in the shallow end of the pool despite the fact there are loving parents to take care of her. It is a jump to your Natural State. Once made you will find the familiar atmosphere of home. Be patient, take your time. There is nothing to lose but a dream of separation.

mikel

Post by mikel » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:14 pm

Hi all thank you for the warm welcome.

That is a very insightful description Kiki, and has added a lot to my understanding and sense of what lies within me.

Last night I allowed my anxiety and fears in when they came, I watched and I observed silently, they flooded in wave after wave, I experienced them totally, I observed them, and what happens within.

Today, this is how I feel about my experience. I felt like a mountain in a storm, the anxiety rose up from nothing, it emerged from the silence, it intensified, it's energy grew strong, it blew fiercely, unleashing itself, then after a time, eventually the storm began to die down, it's energy dissipated and it faded back into silence, and when the storm had passed there stood the mountain in stillness, silence, always watching, ever present.

It felt like a bit of a breakthrough regarding my anxiety… and I feel i have real sense of what my own presence/awareness and consciousness can give me, that nothing else can.

I Look forward to sharing more posts with ye

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:51 pm

Congradulations on a job well done. There will no doubt be many more such opportunities before these energies fade into irrelavance. As you did last night, live as the mountain watching the storms pass by. Anxieties are sneeky and may suck you in when you're not vigilant. No matter, begin again and again and again. Each moment is new and unique and addressed on its own merits without measure of the past. Failure is a judgment made by a fearful ego. It is an illusion. In truth everything is opportunity to see life clearly.

Welcome again to the forum. We look forward to hearing your adventure of awakening.

eire.lad

Post by eire.lad » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:53 am

Hi Mikel,

I'm also new to this forum and from Ireland. I read your last post and i really liked your your analogy of the mountain. I believe awarness is one of the best tools we have in our development and the ego our biggest hinderance. I think that was a major step for you to see what happened. Anxiety and fears will arise from the ego all the time cause it dosn't want to let go, but the more you can step back and shine the light of your awarness on these thoughts, like vampires they will dissapear into nothing again. Awarness, awarness, awareness. Such a powerful gift we all have, if only we could all be aware of that in the first place. That is why I feel so lucky to have come accross ET, along with other wise people who helped me awaken and I know now that there will be many more teachers and situations that will help me further along my path in everyday life because of my heightened awareness. This site being a perfect example. The world is opening up right now in front of you, you just have to be aware of it and embrace it.

Good luck man, looking forward to hearing more from u, J.

eseward

Post by eseward » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:12 pm

Webwanderer wrote:Congradulations on a job well done. There will no doubt be many more such opportunities before these energies fade into irrelavance. As you did last night, live as the mountain watching the storms pass by.
Exactly. Beautifully said as usual, WW. :)

mikel

Post by mikel » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:14 pm

Hi Eire.lad

Thanks for the welcome, good to meet a fellow Irishman on the road, I can feel my awareness deepening by the day... and the mental haze is beginning to slowly disperse, It's all gradual and as expected my ego is putting up a good fight, but that’s ok...

I'm enjoying the forum and find a real sense comfort in being able to connect with people who are in a similar place to me and it's great that we can share our experiences... and help each other on our way

mikel

Finbarr

Re: Hi Mikel and Eire.lad

Post by Finbarr » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:23 pm

Hi fellow Irish people! I'm from Cork and joined up just after Mikel and Eire.lad. While nationality is TOTAL illusion (sophisticated tribalism), it is encouraging to see the consciousness revolution beginning to emerge in Ireland and other parts of the world and not just in its core centre, which is destined to be America. Theres more than a pot of gold and some drunk, brawling leprechauns at the bottom of this rainbow...

mikel

Post by mikel » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:44 pm

Funny so far I haven't found any drunk, brawling leprechauns in the field of now, must look a little harder :)

Sandis

Post by Sandis » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:34 am

Hi mikel and evrybody here...I'm from Latvia living in Ireland...I live here almost 8 years and only few weeks ago, for the first time, I realised that I'm happy and in peace. I knew that there was somthing wrong with me not Ireland, wether, people or events ect.
I see you bud...I finaly see you!!!

Anois

Post by Anois » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:32 pm

Conas ata sibh go leir ?

I hope some of you leprechauns got to see Eckhart at the RDS in Dublin last month. There were over 1500 there. The demand was such that the venue could have been filled three times over.

I have often thought that the Eckhart teachings are inate in the Gaelic language. For example to say that you were angry or sad, in Gaelic you would say that anger or sadness was on ME. "Ta fearg orm. Ta bron orm" There is no sense of identification with the emotions. They are just fleeting conditions on the essential ME.

Sorry for being away so long. The laptop fell off my lap.

innermusiq

RDS

Post by innermusiq » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:34 pm

Wow Eckhart at the RDS, Hi guys I'm also from Dublin Ireland, NOW livining in Western Australia.