New member says hello

Here you can introduce yourself to the rest of the members and visitors.
Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:44 pm

Sufis were basically Muslims
Seems like I recall that Sufis predate Islam, and even Christianity.

kiki

Post by kiki » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:17 pm

My understanding is that the Sufis are the mystical branch within Islam, and that the nondual direct experience of reality is paramount over belief.

eyogateacher

Post by eyogateacher » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:27 pm

Namaste Goldenflutist

Wish u a wonderful time here . This is a wonderful forum to share , learn and discuss matters related to ET and his teachings and also other non dual teachers .Hope u find this forum useful .

kullukid

Post by kullukid » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:38 pm

Webwanderer wrote:
Sufis were basically Muslims
Seems like I recall that Sufis predate Islam, and even Christianity.
Yes, that's my understanding too! However, they are mainly associated with Islam & in some cases they do have connections with Hinduism especially in the Kashmir area.

Moslem's do believe in & are taught about the teachings of Jesus & Abraham, they were all prophets like Mohamed. In fact it is thought by some that Mohamed's mission/teachings were meant to carry on & expand on the teachings of Jesus. KK
THE MIND IS THE SLAYER OF THE REAL
SLAY THE SLAYER!

Goldenflutist

Why not ask Mr. Tolle yourself?

Post by Goldenflutist » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:30 pm

I was most impressed with your enlightened letter to us all about meeting and being involved with publishing Mr. Tolle's first book. As far as the quote goes, since it was found in his book A New Earth, he woud answer the "Christ" question better than I. I did look up the quote and knew who actually wrote it, but the poem also used the phrase the christ not a captalized Christ, and I am not sure if that makes much difference, but Christ can mean annointed one, as well as messiah. Since presence is our so called 'savior" then it might work not meaning the literal Jesus Christ. All in all, since I play the flute, it had a special message for me. I see you live in India? I saw something on the History channel about the spiritual presence you can feel in that country. Keep me posted on things you talk about in here. You are a very interesting part of me.

Goldenflutist
A dog's eyes reflect the innocence and beauty of nature.

kullukid

Post by kullukid » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:30 am

There was a great difference between the words Chrestos and Christos, a difference having a profound and Esoteric meaning. While Christos means 'to live' and 'to be born into a new life' , Chrestos in 'Initiation' phraseology, signified the death of the inner, lower, or personal nature in man; thus is given the key to the Brahmanical title, the twice-born; and finally [Page 13]

“There were Chrestians long before the era of Christianity, and the Essenes belonged to them. (S.D. 3, 288)

H.P.B. persistently asserts that Jesus was an Initiate, this “martyred Adept” (S.D. 3, 146), and therefore a Chrestos in the Mysteries.

Above quotes taken from The Secret Doctrine.

http://www.theosophical.ca/OccultTea...hristJR.h tml

Here's a quote from "Isis Unveiled" by HP Blavatsky
http://www.theosociety.org/pasadena/isis/iu2-07b.htm

Lepsius shows that the word Nofre means Chrestos, "good," and that one of the titles of Osiris, "Onnofre," must be translated "the goodness of God made manifest." * "The worship of Christ was not universal at this early date," explains Mackenzie, "by which I mean that Christolatry had not been introduced; but the worship of Chrestos--the Good Principle--had preceded it by many centuries, and even survived the general adoption of Christianity, as shown on monuments still in existence. . . . Again, we have an inscription which is pre-Christian on an epitaphial tablet (Spon. Misc. Erud., Ant., x. xviii. 2). Υα{! 0x63 c !}cηιντηε Λαρισαιον Δεμοσιε Εροσ {! 0x43 C !}Cηρεστε {! 0x43 C !}Cηαιρε, and de Rossi (Roma Sotteranea, tome i. tav. xxi.) gives us another example from the catacombs--'AElia Chreste, in Pace.' " ** And, Kris, as Jacolliot shows, means in Sanscrit "sacred."

Here's another from this web page:
http://members.tripod.com/pc93/whosking.htm

The name--Messiah--calls for examination, to begin with. It is of combined Egyptian and Hebrew etymology. The mess is from the Egyptian mes, meaning to give birth to, to be born. The -iah is the well-known Hebrew terminal, meaning in its broadest sense "God" or "divinity." In deeper connotation it is a hieroglyph for deity that has descended into matter to be born anew. (As such it is an abbreviated form of the seven-lettered Jehovah, denoting male-female deity in union.) The word Messiah then means "the born God," or "the born deity," in the fuller sense of the "reborn deity."

Another meaning of mess in Egyptian is "to sprinkle" or "anoint." Through this etymology the word comes to have the secondary meaning of "the anointed God." Anointing with oil was throughout ancient days a ritualistic typing of the more abstruse meaning of a baptism of the lower nature by the higher divine influence. It carried the idea of pouring on the head of a man a substance that could be set on fire. The key is to be found in John Baptist’s statement that while he, the preparer of the way for a higher influx, baptizes us with "water"--type of the life of the natural order--the more exalted one coming after him is to baptize us with "air" (Latin: spiritus) "and with fire." Oil symbolically is higher than water, for the reason that it always rises to the top of water and besides is the fuel for fire, which water is not. It is a substitute symbol for "fire" itself, being its fuel and giving a bright and shining appearance. So then the Messiah, as the "anointed God," was the Christos, come or coming to earth to be gradually reborn into his next stage of expanded life and consciousness through a baptism or anointing with the "oil of" divine "gladness."

The "anointing" facet of the meaning allies the term "Messiah" with the Greek name of "Christos." We have already traced this as a likely
derivative from the Egyptian KaRaST, the name of the mummy, or the god "fleshed" (Greek: kreas, "flesh.") It is probable that all these are kindred to the Sanskrit kri, "to pour out," "to rub over," i.e., "to anoint." Messiah and Christos are therefore identical in meaning. The kri derivation of the word at once establishes Krishna as a Messiah of the first order. :) KK
THE MIND IS THE SLAYER OF THE REAL
SLAY THE SLAYER!

Goldenflutist

enlightened

Post by Goldenflutist » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:36 pm

Dear KK,

Thank you so much for giving me so much information on this subject. I am a teacher by profession, so appreciate it when someone goes out of their way to make something more clear. You are certainly as asset to this discussion community and I am grateful to know you.

GoldenF
A dog's eyes reflect the innocence and beauty of nature.

Didi

Welcome!

Post by Didi » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:23 pm

Hey, Goldenflutist!

I am brand new to the forum, too... not even introduced, and imagine my surprise when the first intro I clicked on was someone from Georgia! Welcome, and I'm glad to meet you, if only through a forum window.

Where in Georgia are you, if it's not inappropriate to ask? I live in Midtown.

Didi

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:28 pm

Welcome Didi, you might send Goldenflutist a PM to discuss things you may not want the general membership to see.

Anyway glad to have you with us.

Didi

Post by Didi » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:34 pm

Thanks, Webwanderer. I'll learn the ways of the forum eventually, I guess! :oops: