Former Posts by Adahy.

Here you can introduce yourself to the rest of the members and visitors.
Adahy

Former Posts by Adahy.

Post by Adahy » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:23 pm

(~.~)

Moderator note: Member Adahy has elected to delete his posts for reasons stated below. Because of the interesting responses to that decision, we have decided to leave this thread active.
Last edited by Adahy on Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

kiki

Re: Hello

Post by kiki » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:33 pm

Welcome to the board, Adahy. Take some time to look around and then dive in when you feel comfortable - the water's fine. Don't forget to familiarize yourself with posting guidelines.

kiki
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:04 pm

Another welcome to you, Adahy!

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:38 pm

Welcome Dan, glad you found us.

WW

Adahy

Re: My T.V. is a 1997 Zenith.

Post by Adahy » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:40 am

I'm sure you guys have noticed that I deleted my post and got rid of the names. I read something by Sri Nisargadatta that convinced me I shouldn't be relating the thing that I was in the way that I was. I felt compelled to destroy my posts immediately and found no way to do so, so instead I had to copy over them. Moderators please feel free to delete my posts.

domokato

Re: .

Post by domokato » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:26 am

That's unfortunate. I liked those posts.
~housecat

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:43 am

Adahy - Could you share with us the Nisargadatta quote? We can clean up your empty posts, and will, after we chat offline. I for one liked your posts very much, and the forum will be less without them. But it is absolulely your choice. I'd just like to know what the old cigarette salesman has to say about it. He is, by the way, one of my absolute favorite nondualists.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Adahy

Post by Adahy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:35 am

I can't remember the exact quote but he basically said that no one who hasn't realized the Self should be talking about Enlightenment. I think he was specifically speaking about giving pointers to the Self as E.T. might say. I had never heard someone take such a strong position on that as in his quote and I felt like I was doing what he said not to do. I know I'm probably taking an extreme position, I felt moved to stop talking about things for now. It was on the David Godman site. I think InnerHike had a post giving the url to the page. If you guys don't mind I'd rather just listen to what other people have to say from now on.

Adahy

Post by Adahy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

I couldn't find the quote, but he told David Godman he didn't want him giving any talks on Enlightenment unless he himself was Enlightented and David seemed to take that dreadfully seriously.

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:21 am

I can relate, Adahy. At some point I found myself typing into a revolving word helix. To what end?
Be present, be pleasant.

innerhike

Post by innerhike » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:31 am

Dear Adahy/Dan,

My words here are just my own rambling reaction to your actions and explanation in regards to your deleting your posts.

First off, Maharaj told Godman to not give talks to live audiences, but that it was okay to keep writing books. Godman is the most prolific author on Ramana Maharshi that I know of, western or Indian. He has gone on to write volumes upon volumes of books linked indirectly or directly to the teachings of Ramana Maharshi.

Secondly, there is a slight issue with the advice that we read in books, and that issue is that the advice is meant for a particular person at a particular time but we end up universalizing such advice.

Thirdly, this is a culture where we discuss things. There are settings where people meekly follow a teacher, or try to be in a meditative state by "keeping quiet" in the mouth and possibly the mind. While I grew up in settings where we try to follow a teacher's teachings with great respect, I have come to see in my personal journey that one has to own everything and live by one's own ideas, no matter how wrong or right they may be.

Few are willing to surrender completely to the Higher Power or to a teacher. Therefore Ramana Maharshi advised that the best way to show respect to him was not by bowing to him but by not moving one's mind, by surrendering one's resistance completely and fully.

You can take the outer steps of not talking with others, but does that assure the ripening of inner wisdom and the stabilization of self in Reality? Perhaps it does help as I myself have had little social contact outside of work and these forums for several years in years past. But is it a guarantee?

While I very much appreciate your dramatic gesture and respect your personal journey, I have to say that the mark of advancement in the spiritual journey is not greater retreat from the world, but greater engagement with All That Is. They say that before enlightenment one chopped wood and carried water, and after enlightenment one did the same. What they did not say is that the one who thought he was chopping wood and carrying water is perhaps now gone. The chopping and carrying are happening because the world needs it, but the one who was taking credit is now gone.

Words can form, sharing can occur, but is that really who you are?

You can retreat into no-words but is that a full surrender?

Again, you must do what you heart tells you.

My best wishes to you!

domokato

Re: Former Posts by Adahy.

Post by domokato » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:26 am

innerhike,

Great post. Thank you.
~housecat

James

Post by James » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:20 pm

I can see this both ways, I trust Adahy feels more comfortable with his choice of deleting.

Some mystical traditions advocate a practice of "Secret, Silent, Sacred". The reason being that discussion often personalizes the realization or creates a new egoic identity that is spiritual. That is perhaps the most insidious of ego traps, an ego that thinks it is enlightened and must go out and tell everyone how things are; that state of mind is a burden to oneself and others too.

I almost never discuss deeper matters with family, neighbors, associates and friends; unless it is a friend that is similarly oriented towards awakening. But even then I find it is best to keep words to a minimum, it rarely does truth justice and often in the end, the result is that it sounds like just talk, the flash of realization behind it no longer glows. Most of us will need to find this out for ourselves, we will share some deeper things and then find we feel bereft or depleted. The body gives us feedback in the form of discomfort when we are out of alignment or harmony.

On the other hand, I see the sharing on this forum as a kind of satsang or group inquiry/contemplation. Most of the time I find it uplifting, it seems the collective consciousness of the truth here, can draw out deeper realizations at times. Of course everyone is unique and their experience may vary, so one need only be true their deeper Self and follow that inner guide or Presence in determining when to speak or not.

J.
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:13 am

Agreed, James. Your post rings like a bell.
Be present, be pleasant.

Adahy

Post by Adahy » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:28 pm

Thanks guys. Your words have been very helpful to me. I didn't realize until fairly recently but I've been moving more and more in the direction of becoming a religious hermit lately and I think the decision to assume the the role of the listener was part of a greater direction I've been taking for a short while now. I've felt that I was drifting away from presence and have seemed to shift into a life of quiet seclusion. I think by instinct I've been heading in a direction that might promise more stillness in my life. I noticed when I started taking part in discussions here I was getting lost in the mind stream of future projections and anticipation. I thought when I read Maharaj's feelings on speaking about realization that I might have been making some kind of unknown error that had led to my loss of presence, but I now think I understand why it was happening. I also wanted to dedicate myself completely to Maharaj's path because after reading more of his material lately I consider him to be my Guru. I picked up copies of I Am That, The Ultimate Medicine, and Consciousness and the Absolute and am now convinced that Maharaj is the teacher for me at this point in my life(with E.T. and Krishnamurti as secondary teachers). All in all I think that the spiritual retreat from the world I'm on right now seems to be working so I'll probably stick with the role of the observer in the forum for the time being. After all I think it's part of my personality that I get easily lost in discussions and thoughts about what's to come. I might pop into a discussion now and again in a less involved way then trying to keep up with my own thread. Thanks for the advice again guys, you've all been so kind and I've really learned a lot even in the short time I've been on here.