Hi from a newbie

Here you can introduce yourself to the rest of the members and visitors.
DWBH1953

Hi from a newbie

Post by DWBH1953 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:02 am

This is Randy and this is my story the short version.
Like many others here I had almost a obsession for the truth even at at young age.
I can remember when I was 6 I would go to bed thinking to myself well God made the worlds but what was before God who made God?
Not the typical question for a 6 year old but that was who I was as a child.
Years later I came across the book Autobiography of a Yogi when I was 16.
wow I was in heaven I wanted to pack of my bags and move to India. The book gave rise to many other books and teachings by the time I was in my mid 20s I had read almost every book on Yoga, mystics, and even Scientology.
I spent time with Baba Muktnanada of Shiddha Yoga, time with Satya Sai Baba,Ram Dass, Kirpal Singh and really too many to list here.
Without a doubt I loved them all and they all had one thing in common that you were here and to get there you had to do this and this and this and then if you worked hard enough and really put in your effort then one day you Might be rewarded for all your work and awaken to enlightenment. after spending many many years doing Kryia Yoga of Babaji I came to the thought who is it doing all this and I ran across a book by Ramana Maharshi and he talked about Who am I. Now this may sound strange but when I first just read the words something happened. I am not saying I was awake then that came later but something hit me so hard and felt so right that I knew I was getting close to what I wanted all my life. I said wow if 3 words can do this what more can be done. This was really before the wave of all the new-advaita teachings hell these days everyone is a teacher it is hard to find someone who is not awake(just kidding) I still felt a real strong connection to the path of effort of yoga mediation and I would wonder and wonder can something as simple a Who Am I really be true. Then for around 10 years I took a break I gave up all the teachings and started a business and just got very much into the world and things of the world, however those 3 words stayed with me Who Am I. Then one day I was listen to a show on TV I think it was Gangaji and she said something I never heard before..You are that which you seek..wow how simple almost as simple as the 3 words. It really hit me so I bought at that time all the books on nonduality and read them. I have to say they all tell the same simple story.

Maybe a year later I went to a Inner Directions conference in California and heard Exkart Tolle, Douglas Harding and others. I never cared for Tolle but I really liked Douglas he spoke at least for me a man that was really awaken and enlighten and his techniques with self-enquiry really work if your ready to fully accept them. A few months later I was reading Tony Parsons book the open secret when all of a sudden I saw who I was at that moment myself as being a person dissapeared it was not a comfortable feeling at all it felt like a bad acid trip but not for long my body and mind adjusted quickly but for a few moments I dissapeared. I then read that Tony Parson has a very similar experience walking across the park. It is a funny thing but of all the teachers I have been with Tony Parsons is number 1 or 2 for me. Tony tells it like it is and is also not a conman like so many others trying to take your money for their sharing. Tony you can call up by phone and he will talk to you for free! But that is another subject. So where am I now well really at the same place I always have been but now I know the place. Now when I read all the books of the masters like Ramana Maharshi,Nisargadatta Maharaj, and others they all make sense to me. Before when I would read where they would say there is no self(little s)but just Self and you are that Self you are That all of this everything is you well now I really get it because it is true. To understand these great beings you simply have to do one thing take them Literally as far crazy as it sounds what they are saying is simply and completley true.

Well that is my story, happy it is the short version..
Nice to be here with you
Randyji

Sri Ramana

Javonni

Re: Hi from a newbie

Post by Javonni » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:20 am

Hi Randy! Good to see you over here!

Javonni
When someone asks me who they are or what God is, I smile inside and whisper to the Light: "There you go again pretending."
~Adyashanti

doug

Post by doug » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:17 pm

Randy,

Interesting that you came this way through Paramahansa Yogananda...I too was initiated at an early age and practiced Kriya for some years in my youth.

Welcome

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:25 pm

doug wrote:Randy,

Interesting that you came this way through Paramahansa Yogananda...I too was initiated at an early age and practiced Kriya for some years in my youth.

Welcome
Nice to meet you Doug, yes Kriya was a real trip for me. We all get here in different ways I guess.
Cheers
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Do not think that you are-be!
Do not think about being-you are!
Sri Ramana

doug

Post by doug » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:30 pm

I have long forgotten my personal mantra...which is kind of wierd but I wish I could recall it! :-)))

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:36 pm

doug wrote:I have long forgotten my personal mantra...which is kind of wierd but I wish I could recall it! :-)))
Hi Doug I was never given one. However I was given the Kryias as they always were from the orginal source by this man below who is still living. To my knowledge no one but Shibendu is doing this today.

Despite all tall claims by others, no one is perhaps as authorised as Shibendu Lahiri (born 1939), the great grand son of famous house holder Yogi Lahiri Mahasaya (1828-1895), to spread the authentic teachings and techniques of Kriya Yoga in the world today.

When Yogananda came to the US he changed the orginal Kryia to something he felt would be more accepting for the US. He also omited a important Kryia thinking it was too strange for people of the west. Shibendu stills gives the exact Kryia that Lahiri Mahasaya his great grand father gave. If you ever get a chance to meet him when he comes to th US it is a treat.
Namaste
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Sri Ramana

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:49 pm

DWBH - Welcome! I also got started with Paramahansa, years ago. Great personal story, thanks for sharing!

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:10 pm

Sighclone wrote:DWBH - Welcome! I also got started with Paramahansa, years ago. Great personal story, thanks for sharing!

Namaste, Andy
Thank you and nice to meet you Andy..Yes it seems like Paramahansa was a starter for countless folks hungry for the life spiritual.
Namaste
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Sri Ramana

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:23 pm

Welcome DWBH, Paramansa was not my beginning, but he was fairly early. I even went SRF in Sandiago for a short visit. Enjoy the forum.

WW

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:31 pm

Webwanderer wrote:Welcome DWBH, Paramansa was not my beginning, but he was fairly early. I even went SRF in Sandiago for a short visit. Enjoy the forum.

WW
Hi Webwanderer,
That is a beautiful place years ago I did a retreat there and I would also visit the palce often the grounds are amazing in flora and Koy ponds.
Nice to meet you
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Sri Ramana

Peaceman

Post by Peaceman » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:27 pm

I didnt actually digest your very short story! Too busy looking at YOUR very beautiful photo, hi there. Can a haiku be as short as two words ?(no replies accepted lol!) "Fresh rain" ....no no not good enough, wonderful photo!

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:41 pm

Peaceman wrote:I didnt actually digest your very short story! Too busy looking at YOUR very beautiful photo, hi there. Can a haiku be as short as two words ?(no replies accepted lol!) "Fresh rain" ....no no not good enough, wonderful photo!
Ahh thank you nice tomeet you Peaceman
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Sri Ramana