Hallo from Larryfroot

Here you can introduce yourself to the rest of the members and visitors.
Larryfroot

Hallo from Larryfroot

Post by Larryfroot » Sat May 06, 2006 10:01 pm

A big hello to everyone using this resource...and a big thank you to the guys who set it up. Should I make a brief introduction of myself at this point? Oh go on then....I'm a Devon based craftsman who stumbled upon Eckhart Tolles teachings some years ago but have only recently really broken through the false idea of self I was struggling so desperately under. I am eternally in Mr Tolle's debt for this incredible gift of peace and freedom he has imparted to me. I hope one day to be active in organising a meeting schedule here in Devon...until then though it's the exciting prospect of getting to know fellow eckhartees (?) through these message boards and being inspired...and I hope to help inspire others if that doesn't sound too big headed!

Take good care everyone and happy nows to all of us.

Larryfroot
Many a mickle muches a markle.

kiki

Post by kiki » Sat May 06, 2006 10:06 pm

Welcome, Larry.
and I hope to help inspire others if that doesn't sound too big headed!
Inspire away!

kiki

mccpcorn

Post by mccpcorn » Sat May 06, 2006 10:11 pm

Hi there. I'm Merseyside based myself. ^_^

I found the Power of Now about two years ago. I'm in a period of transition as I seek to gain awareness of the silent watcher. Hopefully by being in regular contact with those here I will be able to strike a path forward on this.

heidi

Post by heidi » Sat May 06, 2006 11:07 pm

Hi Larry - So glad you found us :) Likely your joyful post has already begun to inspire!
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

Larryfroot

Post by Larryfroot » Sat May 06, 2006 11:47 pm

Cor!!! That was quick! Always nice to see some enthusiasm. Thank you all very much for your welcomes. The whole PON thing is so broad and deep, and yet stunningly simple that to choose a starting point of share / discussion seems an almost arbitary act if one is to avoid procrastinating on one of those mind-ish decisions. But for the record I would like to start with an observation....One of the most profound relief at discovering that who I thought I was turned out to be an utter fabrication. I think I simply imputed 'I' upon a collection of attributes. Especially personality. But attributes are things about the object, and not the object itself. So to experience these attributes and then to impute a sense of self onto them...As if somehow all these non 'I' attributes magically transform themselves into 'I'. Crazy really. like looking at a herd of cows and imputing 'giraffe' on the strength that they are all hairy, have four legs and are vegetarian.

And so I stopped imputing 'self' upon the collection of attributes and aggregates that I exist around and not in. Suddenly there was a gap. Not your usual kind of gap. It is the kind of gap that distinguishes itself from other gaps by the expedient of us expecting something there. And sudddenly there isn't. And it's a shock. And then its wonder. And then it is a shedding away of the terrible burden of a mind made self that I had struggled with for decades.

The gap....in London, on the underground transport the trains hacve a pre-recorded message; 'mind the gap'. This is referring to the passengers need to exercise caution when getting off and on the train by reminding them of the gap between the train and the platform.

However this simple message has for me become a joyful cry from the heart! Mind the gap is such a lovely reminder to mind the gap of non - self. And thence to see that although there is no self there, the emptiness emenates all those qualities that make life truly worth living. And all we have to do is breathe. ..Incredible. Seems that enlightenment is there for accepting rather than achieving.

Naturally enough I stil have some way to go before this is my every moment of everyday experience, but my...what a big difference even a small amount of mind the gap can bring. I wonder if those train drivers on the London underground know what an incredible public service they are performing?

All the best, and thank you so much for your prompt welcomes! I am both gratified and strangely bemused - out of pure inexperience of using a discussion forum as much as anything else I hasten to add. Larryfroot

summer

Post by summer » Sun May 07, 2006 12:30 am

Welcome, Larry,

I love your story about "mind the gap" :)

heidi

Post by heidi » Sun May 07, 2006 1:11 am

Mind the Gap - Did you see the movie? It was excellent!
I recommend it. It's about taking the risk of Being. :)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0373152/
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

mccpcorn

Post by mccpcorn » Sun May 07, 2006 10:45 am

I think that should be put up as a sub banner on the message board. :D

"Mind the Gap"

lol

Larryfroot

Post by Larryfroot » Sun May 07, 2006 11:35 am

well, having recieved 7 messages of welcome and reply I shall now consider myself introduced. From here I will venture forth into other areas of the forum, and hope to catch you guys there. And thank you again for your welcome. It was very thoughtful of you to help out a newbie. All the now in the world....Larryfroot

erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Post by erict » Sun May 07, 2006 5:09 pm

Hello and welcome to the forums. Enjoy yourself, and btw, how old are you?
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."

Larryfroot

Post by Larryfroot » Sun May 07, 2006 7:42 pm

Hi Eric,

I am 46 years old. How, I have no idea. All I did was keep on living...

Larryfroot

Moonlight

Post by Moonlight » Sun May 07, 2006 11:01 pm

Hello Larryfroot just wanted to add a quick welcome from me :D . Seems there are a few of us from the uk joining at this time.

Can really relate to what you were saying about adding a 'self' to so many things. This has been coming into my own awareness a lot of late.

Larryfroot

Imputing self....

Post by Larryfroot » Mon May 08, 2006 10:07 am

Hallo Moonlight!

Delightful name, btw. I'm glad to see the UK becoming well represented on these boards - as narrow as a nationalistic comment that may be....Perhaps it's something to do with where I live - or thinking about it everything to do with where I live! It's rural to say the least, but ekhartees or nowbies are a little thin on the ground, hence my happiness at discovering this forum.

Glad to hear that you have been detecting the old imputing self where none exists trick. All part of freedom from that egoic need for a false sense of self. Amazing that I was suckered in by it for so long....and even more amazing that I still do forget from time to time, or from issue to issue....but I think that the longer we allow our understanding to rest in the now, and the longer we remain - or even attempt to remain conscious of consciousness then the easier it gets to be aware for longer and longer periods. I am sure this is an adventure that will just run and run!

Larryfroot :)

PS Have replied to your thread in Personal Experiences section.

gina

Post by gina » Tue May 09, 2006 10:45 pm

Last edited by gina on Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Larryfroot

Post by Larryfroot » Tue May 09, 2006 11:33 pm

I hereby solemnly swear to keep it lite so help me god. Amen. :wink:

PS. Hi Gina, thanks for the welcome. And I promise that as far as possible the quality of the tea and buns will be more important than personalities with regards to setting something up in Devon.