Billy's Intro.

Here you can introduce yourself to the rest of the members and visitors.

Billy's Intro.

Postby BillyPLed » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:12 am

Hello all,

I just discovered this discussion forum and hope that it will be a meaningful addition to my on-line experience. I read The Power of Now several months ago and have also read Stillness Speaks. Of course, these are both books that I will probably never finish reading. I was blown away by Eckhart's teachings. I purchased the 6 cd set called "Realizing the Power of Now" and have listened once all the way through.

I am the type of person that has always lived a "spiritual life." I know, all lives are spiritual -- all lives are the One Life living through each particular person. However, I think that the members of this forum will probably know what I am talking about when I say that there has always been something different about me. Not that I am special or anything. It is just that I have been conscious of living this "spiritual life" perhaps more than the average person.

Eckhart writes about "a small but fortunately growing minority of spiritual pioneers: people who are reaching a point where they become capable of breaking out of inherited collective mind-patterns that have kept humans in bondage to suffering for eons" in the intro. to The Power of Now. I belive that captures what I am trying to say. I feel that I am a member of that "small minority."

My hope is that I will be able to use this forum to deepen my understanding of the various concepts that Eckhart teaches and begin to embody the teachings more and more. I hope to post in the spirit of what he calls "presence" or "Being" or "space consciousness." I want to allow room for silence to speak through and for the mystery of life to be honored. I do not want to get into debates or to have to defend any positions. To me that would be the opposite of what Eckhart teaches.

I also want to tell each of you a little about me as a person (my "life situation"). I am a 32 year old, gay, male from northeast Louisiana. I have been in a relationship for 12 years now. We had our commitment ceremony four years ago (Dec. 9, 2000). We both go to a very progressive Baptist church in our home town. We are also both social workers. I got my master's degree in social work from LSU in 2000. I work in an in-patient alcohol and drug abuse center. I work specifically in the detox unit as one of two primary counselors. I am also in recovery myself from sex addiction and co-dependency.

All of these factors (and more) make up my life situation -- gay, male, social worker, progressive, Baptist, recovering addict... Somehow, I feel a need to always honor my life situation at the same time that I realize that it is not my Life. This will probably be one aspect of Eckhart's teachings that I will want to discuss and understand better.

I am sure that I will not say things "correctly" (like that word, what is "correct?"). I feel that this forum will allow me to get more practice in "speaking" from the place of "presence." One example of something that I just wrote that I perhaps could have written differently was the last sentence of the previous paragraph when I wrote "understand better." Understanding implies grasping a concept intellectually. I think Eckhart even writes about this somewhere in The Power of Now. These are not just a series of concepts that we have to understand. It is more a way of Being that we are to embody. Eckhart is inviting us into a new way of Being. Or rather, into an old, primal, original way of Being that has been over-shadowed by our conditioned mind. It is almost as if it takes "practice" to live in this new/old reality. This forum has the potential to provide each of us with the "practice" that we need.

Talk to each of you more later...
Billy in Lousiana
BillyPLed

Postby heidi » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:56 am

Hi Billy - Thanks for sharing your experience. Post On! :D
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby Jim » Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:39 pm

Hi Billy,

Life is an interesting experiance for sure...

Just been reflecting on the Tsunami that has taken around 40,000 lives Sunday. I feel that the quickness in which their lives were transformed..., and ego's dropped (having entered the Presence or Field) has left a wonderful surge of joy. The Joy of having the shadows of their Being replaced by the Light of Truth. Of course, if looked upon thru the limiting ego's perception, this may seem a horrible tragidy.
In meditation, it is as it I can feel the "lift" in the sea of Presence. As such a large number have awoken suddenly to a joy they hadn't the "time" for..., their Joy is reflected in the field of our unity.

All is well,
Jim
Jim

Return to Introductions