learning to recognise awakenning

Here you can introduce yourself to the rest of the members and visitors.

learning to recognise awakenning

Postby lovelygirl » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:06 pm

Hi., My name is Liz and I am a new member. I wanted to share a recent experience with you all. I have been doing this stuff for a long time and the other day I was speaking to a friend in noisy circumstances and I was aware that I felt 'presence' for the first time. It was just a glimpse and lasted no more than a few minutes but I would like to try and describe my experience to you. It was like reaching the clear blue sky on a rainy day and I was aware of a deep concentration on everything she was saying but also an ability to just be, a clarity of mind that I have never experienced before, - later I had the knowledge that I must not seek for its return, nor make anything out of it and that it will it will find me again. No effort, no strain, - Ekhart Tolle is right it is a moment of grace.
lovelygirl

Re: learning to recognise awakenning

Postby kiki » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:03 am

Welcome to the board, Liz, and thanks for sharing.

It was like reaching the clear blue sky on a rainy day and I was aware of a deep concentration on everything she was saying but also an ability to just be, a clarity of mind that I have never experienced before, - later I had the knowledge that I must not seek for its return, nor make anything out of it and that it will it will find me again. No effort, no strain,

Very good. No need to seek it because "it" is what You are. It's always present, just waiting to be recognized.

Enjoy the board,
kiki
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby lovelygirl » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:53 pm

I cannot be awakening because what you say makes no sense to me.
lovelygirl

Postby Tesmond » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:06 am

The moment you stop trying to understand something/anything and surrender completely to what already is, is awakening. Awakening is not something you can ever not do right now. The mind may make you want to think that in the future, when you understand more, you'll be able to do it. But that's what the mind feeds on - it needs more time to perpetuate itself. When you recognize time as an illusion (which it is), you take away your mental commentary.

You can become present this very moment in fact, as you can in any moment, which in fact is all the same moment - Now. There is an exercise mentioned in the Power of Now that you can try if you're trying to "recognize presence".

Ask yourself: "I wonder what my next thought is going to be", and then just wait for the next thought. Be like a cat watching a mouse hole. Realize that when you're waiting for the next thought, there's no thought that is occupying your mind at the moment. That is being free of thought. That is presence. Now, the difficult part is maintaining presence all the time.

When you maintain presence for an extended period of what Tolle calls "clock time", you will begin to feel emanations of peace from deep within you. That is the One Life, it is Being, it is Love, it is Joy, it is what many people call God. If you wish to make a distinction between Presence and Being - Being/Love/God is what is left over, is what you feel, when you are free of thought.

If you don't understand everything right away, it's ok. There's nothing you need to understand to become present. The only reason why there are so many explanations for Tolle's teachings is that there are many ways to explain how to become present. Use whichever one works for you, and don't feel like you have to become attached to any specific one.
Tesmond

Postby lovelygirl » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:09 pm

Thank you Tesmond
lovelygirl

Return to Introductions