The beginners guide?

Here you can introduce yourself to the rest of the members and visitors.

The beginners guide?

Postby Lostuzer » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:37 pm

I am new. I have read The Power of Now. I have gained much insight but…

As a result of forty years of being identified with the labels presented to me by the medical community - depressed, OCD, etc. I have a strong negative identification with my mind which, I now see, serves no purpose.

During the day, when I’m more alert, I gain some solace from the practice of putting myself in the present.
Unfortunately I have difficulties putting myself in the present when lying down for sleep or awakening in the morning. The harpies are relentless and uncomfortable memories of the past and future speculation become overwhelming when I’m not as vigil. My attempts, at these times, last for only seconds.

Years of hearing “Stop and smell the roses.”, “There’s no time like the present.” and “Just stop thinking about it.” never took a foothold because the tool of witnessing my thoughts was never presented to me.

From what I’ve read on this forum I would assume there is a “beginning” for new forum members that I could take advantage of. It seems the members of this forum are articulate with well crafted words, but much of what I have read is illusive to me. Most likely because of my mindset plus the fact I don’t understand many words’ connotations, and meanings behind phrases. As a newcomer, I find it difficult.

In a nutshell, I’m looking for a place on this forum to build a foundation for Being.
Reality is an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. - Albert Einstein
Lostuzer

Re: The beginners guide?

Postby RCharles » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:10 am

Hi Lostuzer,

It sounds like you are having some success being present during the day. That is a good starting point. Just be present when you can, and don't worry about it when you can't. Nobody is perfect in this--we all have wandering minds. Just do what you can when you can and try not to judge yourself when presence doesn't seem to be working. The times when you are present will start to train your mind, so that the more you are present, the more natural that state of mind becomes, and the easier it gets to be present. It builds on itself over time. Do you see?

Best of luck with your new practice. If you stick with it, I think you will see some very positive changes in your thinking (and freedom from too much thinking), but it takes time. Just keep doing what you are doing. :-)

Chuck
"They are all...perfect..." --Ken Watanabe, dying scene in the movie The Last Samurai
RCharles

Postby snowheight » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:02 pm

Lostuzer -- make sure to absorb RC's post fully.

Lostuzer wrote:I have a strong negative identification with my mind which, I now see, serves no purpose.

This recognition is a good starting point. What about positive identification? What is the first heading-line in Tolle's book?

Lostuzer wrote:During the day, when I’m more alert, I gain some solace from the practice of putting myself in the present.

The present is literally all that is real. Anything outside the present is a construct of the mind. Do you see how any idea or notion that you are not present is a self-delusion? -- this is to say ... you might be lost in thought of the past, the future, or lost in consideration of something that you should do or shouldn't do or shouldn't have done ... but as you sit or stand there in these thoughts, you do that in the present. Does this make sense?

One bit of advice: try not to try too hard to get present or watch the mind. When you do these practices and they seem at first not to work just accept that they seem not to work but maintain awareness, maintain a posture of witnessing ... just let the thoughts come, but just refrain from deciding if they are true or not. There is great power in the act of surrender, while pro-actively trying to suppress the mind is just the mind in disguise. It's somewhat of a conundrum, but the desire to be free of this negative identification with the mind is really just this negative identification in a different guise.

Grasp and it will slip away. Let go and you will never lose it. Just let go.

Lostuzer wrote:Unfortunately I have difficulties putting myself in the present when lying down for sleep or awakening in the morning.

As you lie there in bed, watch how one thought will naturally lead to another. This is an easy place to practice this letting go. Just refrain from following a thought which is triggered by another thought. Recognizing a series of these in mid-stream becomes more natural over time.

I know that sometimes to fall into sleep I like to try to think of pleasant, simple things, and try to just lay down the worries of the day ... but the mind will twist and turn these light airy thoughts toward jarring darkness ... so it seems like somewhat of a sacrifice to passively watch the thoughts and let them dissolve instead of pondering an ice cream cone to help to drift off ... but it actually isn't. I know from experience that when sleep is elusive the best sandman is the passive witness.

I wish you well with this.
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.
snowheight

Postby Webwanderer » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:00 pm

Welcome to the forum Lostuzer. I'm sure you'll find lots of helpful pointers here.

As you seem to know by now, the ego identity isn't real. It's a mental construct. That's the one that would believe in label identifiers such as OCD, depressed, etc. It's not that the experience isn't real enough, it's that in many so cases it's maintained through the belief and reinforcement of the labels. You experience depression so the label applies, and the re-application of the label sustains the belief, which continues to fuel the experience you believe in.

My suggestion is to create new identifications - something more in line with ideals of love and appreciation. When you have the opportunity to settle into the clarity of now, begin to love that which you are - aware being - the space in which experience happens. You'll feel the alignment with Source, your true nature, as a sense of joyful contentment in this moment of being. Just rest in it for awhile. Let it deepen and regain your familiarity with this basic state. But while in this clearer state of awareness, begin to adopt some ideas about yourself that are in harmony with this more genuine reality. What would you like your life and experience to be like? Identify with your idea of happiness and joy - consider what inspires you and follow that insight. Do this with considerable regularity, every day if possible.

The point is to reconstruct your self programming. Then when you're into your daily routines, take with you a sense of letting the ideals manifest in experience. Be always open to the flow of energy you create while in the clear state. Don't be concerned if depression returns, it likely will. The old programming is often strong and habitual. Just recognize it as programming and let go of whatever thoughts come with it as soon as possible. (And don't beat yourself up if you have trouble letting them go, let that go too.) This old mental crap will try to tell you this new mumbo-jumbo doesn't work. Watch for it. Let it go and get back to letting the new energy take over. It will. Repeat this whole process every day. Adopt it as your new way of being. It will manifest in a short time.

Look for signs of it in moments throughout your day. Never, never, deny it. That is just the old programming trying to manifest itself again. If denials come up recognize them and let them go, then get back to the sense of letting this new loving energy flow into your experience. Never stop, even if it's for the rest of your life. Never judge its progress, just appreciate to the depths of your being each sign of movement. You'll see them. All you have to do is watch.

Reread this a few times, or print it out. Do this with honest intent and disciplined vigilance and you'll create a new experience of life - one that is filled with beauty and joy. Don't have expectations, just appreciations. Life can be fun.

All this being said, there are those that would say that any identification is problematic. I disagree. So long as you know it's an identification for the purpose of creative experience it becomes quite valuable. To know, on a deep experiential level, that identification is a created experience, allows us to explore human life in ways not possible with either blind identification or the blank slate of no-self. But put this aside for a while. The knowledge will be there when you need it. There is no teacher like experience. Recreate you sense of identity with designed intent. Remember that the key is that clear state of presence awareness, energized with love of being. Get intimately familiar with it and discover its power.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby hanss » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:12 pm

Lostuzer wrote: It seems the members of this forum are articulate with well crafted words, but much of what I have read is illusive to me. Most likely because of my mindset plus the fact I don’t understand many words’ connotations, and meanings behind phrases. As a newcomer, I find it difficult.

If you can understand what has been written in the responses, suck it all in. Or suck in what you can of it. These guys knows what they are talking about.
"In today's rush we all think too much, seek too much, want too much and forget about the joy of just Being."
(Eckhart Tolle)
hanss

Postby RCharles » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:12 pm

I love this:
Recreate you sense of identity with designed intent.

When you know that your worldly identity is imaginary, you can imagine any identity you want!

Chuck
"They are all...perfect..." --Ken Watanabe, dying scene in the movie The Last Samurai
RCharles

Postby Lostuzer » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:41 pm

I, after reading and rereading many times, was able to understand what all of you were trying to convey. Since I’ve picked up The Power of Now I’ve realized that, for me, self-education was necessary to intellectually understand the words before I can get close to the meaning behind them. Attempting to understand was akin to reading where half of the words are from a foreign language. I had to undergo a shift in my thinking process. As I became more familiar with the “sign posts” and, as a result, began to grasp the concepts, I was amazed as to how apropos the messages were to me.

I now believe my greatest accomplishment to date has been to become aware of my “ego” having control of my life. I thought I was dramatically different than the others of this earth. Self pity, resentment, fear, and anxiety have been my way of life for so long I knew no different. I felt I could not “live with myself” any more. I was suicidal.

I have, in the past, bought $1 lottery tickets knowing the chances of winning were slim to none for the purpose of giving me something to “hope” for. It seemed, at the time, a good investment for the purpose of replacing some negative predictions of the future. When I bought Eckhart’s book it was, to me, the same thing as a lottery ticket. I was buying a little anxiety relief by not reading it. Having my hopes crumble when the lottery numbers were posted and other self help books didn’t magically transform me, I put off the reading until about a week later and read only out of boredom. Now I feel as if my lottery numbers were picked!

I hope you can understand what I have written. Writing skills are not my strong point and at the moment feel intellectually challenged but hopefully this will change as I gain more insight.

Thank you for the replies which gave me comfort in the realization that I was headed in the right direction.
Bob
Reality is an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. - Albert Einstein
Lostuzer

Postby hanss » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:53 am

Here is a link that you might find helpful:
Adyashanti - Basic Principles of the Teaching (1 of 4)
"In today's rush we all think too much, seek too much, want too much and forget about the joy of just Being."
(Eckhart Tolle)
hanss

Return to Introductions