Literal search (using query as entered)

If you have technical difficulties with the forum, or maybe suggestions or complaints, this is the place. At this stage, it is very important to get a lot of feedback from you the users.

Literal search (using query as entered)

Postby WhoAmI » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:07 am

Hi Erict,

Firstly, I like the feel of the new forum much better. I've only been a member for a few short weeks - but this one is certainly more lively.

Now, I have a suggestion/request, which I've had since I joined - I perused a lot of the messages before, making extensive use of the search facility.

What I've found inconvenient was that when I wanted to search for a literal expression, as entered (such as "inner body") - there was no way to do that. The only thing coming close was "Search for all terms or use query as entered" - which for the above query would find "inner body", but also a post containing "inner joy" and "physical body".

With the reincarnated forum there's a whole new problem for finding something like "inner body" (many people including me, have written about trouble finding their inner body - you think that's just the forum's way of telling us something? :wink:). The reply I get is "The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: body inner.".

A workaround I've found was to use google with the "site:" feature. But I would find it very helpful to be able to search a literal string, and even when I search for "inner" and "body", that it would not tell me they're too common.

If that's possible, of course :)

Regardless - great job. Much appreciated.

WhoAmI
WhoAmI

Re: Literal search (using query as entered)

Postby erict » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:38 am

The phpBB search function seems quite hopeless. Here's one workaround for now. Go to http://www.google.com and make the following search:

site:http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth.info/ "inner body"

Doing this I got 93 results. But since at the moment the old board is disabled and the new one hasn't been indexed yet you can't simply follow the link. What you need to do is click on [Cached], next to the URL and [Similar pages]. There you'll be able to see where the post is located, then come here and find it. Don't worry, it's not as complicated as it may seem. This is it for now, later we'll figure out a better solution once things settle down.
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby erict » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:49 pm

As the number of posts on the forum keeps growing, it is becoming more and more important to be able to search. The forum's inbuilt search isn't always very good. And so I wanted to point your attention again, that you can search the forum through Google, as described in the previous post.

There are many useful posts, which are buried deep within, so I suggest you experiment a little with trying to dig out posts on the subjects that interest you.
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby Sighclone » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:01 pm

Thanks, eric!
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby JD » Thu May 01, 2008 2:27 am

Exact phrase searching should be possible if the board's using the MySQL database (version 4.1.7 or later) and the database tables use the myISAM storage engine:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=759665
JD

Return to Support and Technical Questions