Red highlighting of search items

If you have technical difficulties with the forum, or maybe suggestions or complaints, this is the place. At this stage, it is very important to get a lot of feedback from you the users.

Red highlighting of search items

Postby WhoAmI » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:17 am

I actually had both in mind when I wrote the previous suggestion - but thought it would be better to give it its own subject line 8)

Anyhows - it's the search again (What can I say? I'm still a seeker...). There's this feature where the items one's searched for are highlighted with the pinkish-red color, throughout the entire topic.

I think it's great! Very useful indeed :-)

However, at times it would be nice - once I've established which of the posts is relevant to the search query I've used - to be able to click a button that would instantly make the highlighting go away - just for the current topic. And, of course, clicking it again would highlight again.

What do you think?
WhoAmI

Re: Red highlighting of search items

Postby erict » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:23 am

At this point I think it would be worthwhile to concentrate on figuring out a way to use search more efficiently. I am just like you, I search and it gives me this weird: The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: Right now it's totally messed up.

I don't really know how to fix that. I'm thinking more in the direction of using google search somehow on the site...
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby WhoAmI » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:43 am

Erict,

I searched the phpBB documentation.
I assume our forum is using the 3.0 version?

If so, this might solve the "common word" thingy that's messing things up:

Common word threshold: Like phpBB2's stopwords feature, you can prevent the use of common words that you specify. However, this feature is expanded upon in phpBB3. You can now control the threshold that a word can have; this means that if a word is contained in more than a certain percentage of posts on your board, it will be deemed as a common word, and will be ignored in search queries. All positive integers are valid values, and represent the percentage of posts on your board words can be contained in. If you would like to disable this threshold and thereby allow searches using all words, even if they can be common, set this value to "0". This setting only applies if your board has more than 100 posts.

Have you tried it and it failed?

Here's the link for the relevant section in the phpBB docs: http://www.phpbb.com/support/documentation/3.0/adminguide/acp_general.php#acp_server_search
WhoAmI

Postby erict » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:48 am

Hey! I really like you :D Now if only more members were like you... ah, if only... hehe

I had missed that. The new version has so many options. Anyway, thanks... Let's see how it is now... It was at 5%, now it's disabled.
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby erict » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:50 am

I'm still getting the same thing even though I've disabled the Common Word Threshold. I don't know why.

The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: body inner.
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby WhoAmI » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:05 am

I don't know - it could be buggy.
Wouldn't surprise me, as this is a new version whose documentation isn't even complete.

So my thoughts are:
(1) Is there a restarting feature of the board? Perhaps this change of settings require you to restart the search engine etc.
(2) What if you put 100 as the threshold? No word can be in more than 100 of the posts - so maybe this can be a workaround if there's a bug.
WhoAmI

Postby erict » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:13 am

The search feature of phpbb is a problematic issue.

I changed to 100. Same thing. Even worse?
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby WhoAmI » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:17 am

A couple of searches seem to give me the same results as before.

I have a feeling that either the feature change hasn't taken effect (again - perhaps restarting the board [after changing it to 0 as intended] could fix this).

Or, it's a database indexing issue - and the board should be reindexed.

If I come across something meaningful I'll let you know :-)
WhoAmI

Postby erict » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:19 am

When I transfered the database, the search indexing wasn't transfered. I had to rebuild it manually yesterday. To there's no point in doing that again
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Return to Support and Technical Questions