Quotes of other peoples posts

If you have technical difficulties with the forum, or maybe suggestions or complaints, this is the place. At this stage, it is very important to get a lot of feedback from you the users.

Quotes of other peoples posts

Postby powerbowler » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:10 pm

Can,t seem to work out how to pull a quote from other peoples post --- someone says " --------------------" and it is highlighted white, in my post.
Have tried but keep messing up. Please help.
powerbowler

Re: Quotes of other peoples posts

Postby kiki » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:09 pm

There are several ways to do this. The first way will copy someone's entire post and insert their name in the appropriate place so that it appears once you submit it. To do this just hit the "Quote" button that appears on their post near the top right side of their entry. When you do this it will automatically put everything required into a composition field, then you can add your comments after or before the quoting code. This is the simplest way to do it, but I advise this only if their post is short, otherwise you'll have a lot of text that may not be relevant to the point you want to comment on, unless of course you edit out the irrelevant text (which I advise people do).

Another way to quote is to copy only the relevant part of what you want to quote, hit the "Post Reply" button at the bottom of the page, paste it into the composition field, and then highlight it. Once it's highlighted hit the "Quote" button that you see just above the composition field and it will insert the quoting code.

However, if you want the person's name to appear that you are quoting you have to manually add some extra information in the front end of the quoting code.

[quote ="kiki"]For example, if quoting me it will look like this except there will be no spaces anywhere in the code[/quote]

Done correctly is will look like this:
kiki wrote:For example, if quoting me it will look like this except there will be no spaces anywhere in the code

Without the ="kiki" inserted into the front end it will just show the text of what is quoted.

I strongly advise people to only quote what is relevant to the point you are trying to make, otherwise it is a waste of bandwidth.

Also, do a Preview before submitting to make sure you've got it the way you want it. I also advise that you copy everything before submitting any post just in case something goes wrong - it's a pain having to reconstruct a something because of a glitch, and those will happen for whatever reason.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby Webwanderer » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:56 pm

And here's a third way:

kiki wrote:There are several ways to do this.

I made this quote by opening a post reply box as usual. Then I went to Kiki's post and highlighted the section I wanted, and then hit the quote button in Kiki's post box at the above right in his post. It puts his "kiki wrote" in the field so you don't have to write in the name. Make sure your cursor is in the place you want the quote to show up as it will insert it where ever the cursor is located.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby Yutso » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:39 pm

"kiki wrote", There are several ways to do this. ok yutso try
Yutso

Postby Yutso » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:45 pm

[quote="kiki"]Re: Quotes of other peoples posts
by kiki » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:09 pm
There are several ways to do this[/quote]
Yutso

Postby Yutso » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:49 pm

[color=#FFBFBF][/color]kiki wrote, There are several ways to do this.
Yutso

Postby Yutso » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:50 pm

[quote="kiki"]There are several ways to do this. The first way will copy someone's entire post and insert their name in the appropriate place so that it appears once you submit it. To do this just hit the "Quote" button that appears on [u]their[/u] post near the top right side of their entry. When you do this it will automatically put everything required into a composition field, then you can add your comments after or before the quoting code. This is the simplest way to do it, but I advise this only if their post is short, otherwise you'll have a lot of text that may not be relevant to the point you want to comment on, unless of course you edit out the irrelevant text (which I advise people do).

Another way to quote is to copy only the relevant part of what you want to quote, hit the "Post Reply" button at the bottom of the page, paste it into the composition field, and then [i]highlight[/i] it. Once it's highlighted hit the "Quote" button that you see just above the composition field and it will insert the quoting code.

However, if you want the person's name to appear that you are quoting you have to manually add some extra information in the front end of the quoting code.

[quote ="kiki"]For example, if quoting me it will look like this [i]except there will be no spaces anywhere in the code[/i][/quote]

Done correctly is will look like this: [quote="kiki"]For example, if quoting me it will look like this [i]except there will be no spaces anywhere in the code[/i][/quote]

Without the ="kiki" inserted into the front end it will just show the text of what is quoted.

I strongly advise people to only quote what is relevant to the point you are trying to make, otherwise it is a waste of bandwidth.

Also, do a Preview before submitting to make sure you've got it the way you want it. I also advise that you copy everything before submitting any post just in case something goes wrong - it's a pain having to reconstruct a something because of a glitch, and those will happen for whatever reason.[/quote]
Yutso

Postby heidi » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:57 pm

Yutso wrote:I strongly advise people to only quote what is relevant to the point you are trying to make, otherwise it is a waste of bandwidth.

Amen to that. Not only bandwidth but visual clutter. :-)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby Onceler » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:42 pm

kiki wrote:I strongly advise people to only quote what is relevant to the point you are trying to make, otherwise it is a waste of bandwidth.

It was actually kiki's quote, Hiedi.
"When the fear is gone, the mind becomes much quieter, much less full of things. Thoughts become like a gentle rain rather than a thunderstorm." John Sherman
Onceler

Return to Support and Technical Questions