In Touch by John Prendergast

In Touch by John Prendergast

Postby Sighclone » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:37 am

When Eric Berne’s truly seminal text “Games People Play” was released in 1964, it was the first fully developed theory of personality to confront Freudian concepts. Although “in touch” is somewhat more synthetic and derivative (those familiar with yoga nidra will recognize familiar themes), it is the collection, organization and presentation of observations, concepts and brand-new exercises that places this book in that category, too. This is not to say that Dr. Prendergast does not add perspectives; but the perspectives he adds are not "his," they are perceptions, exercises, discoveries and examples of breakthroughs that fundamentally become yours. Although Welwood’s “Toward a Psychology of Awakening” (1990) may be the first book to formally merge conventional analysis with Advaita, Prendergast has vastly expanded on that blend by adding very empirical activities of the mind and heart, client accounts and a sprinkling of unpretentious personal experiences and reflections of 30 years of study and practice. The result is powerfully rewarding to all readers, from laypersons to trained practitioners.

I first met John in 2009 at the first Science and Nonduality Conference and have enjoyed his distant friendship since. I saw his careful personality on display there, and also his wisdom in the numerous panels and presentations where he appeared. “in touch” contains a set of progressive forms of introspective yoga powerfully demonstrating that our body can be another portal to the transcendent, perhaps permanent discovery of non-mental Pure Awareness, and encouraging a fundamental transformation of identity. Yes, there are some "concepts" in there also..."verticality" and "openheartedness" are both presented with fresh examples and insights. This book is a “must read” by anyone who is serious about exploring human consciousness….thank you John!!!

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Re: In Touch by John Prendergast

Postby Oillyfly » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:48 am

All I know about something new. To come up These elements are the ones that make me smarter.
Oillyfly

Postby Onceler » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:59 pm

I agree, Andy. A stellar book. Thanks for the recommendation awhile back.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby Sighclone » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:09 am

He's a great guy - really sort of shy. I liked the part where he forgot where he left his car...

Always a pleasure to read your posts, Onceler.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby dijmart » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:14 am

Sighclone wrote: I liked the part where he forgot where he left his car....

I forget where I leave my car all the time! :lol: thank goodness for the clicker feature that makes your car chirp until you find it.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby Sighclone » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:23 am

Yes, dear dij. But it is clear to us that you never forget who you are... :)

Andy
Sighclone

Postby dijmart » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:25 pm

Sighclone wrote:Yes, dear dij. But it is clear to us that you never forget who you are... :)

Andy

:wink:
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby Onceler » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:42 pm

I don't remember the car key story.....time to read it again.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Return to Recommended Books