Meditation - Now or Never

kiki

Meditation - Now or Never

Post by kiki » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:51 am

Here is a book I just came across which I think is excellent. It works hand in glove with ET and Adya, and goes directly to what meditation is and isn't, and how to do it - very clear, and written for a western audience. It's written by Steve Hagen, author of Buddhism Plain and Simple, and Buddhism Is Not What You Think. It is also available for the Kindle.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006114 ... 0061143294
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

goldieflower

Re: Meditation - Now or Never

Post by goldieflower » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:34 pm

kiki wrote:Buddhism Is Not What You Think.
I enjoyed this one. I once thought I was a Buddhist! :D

The word, "phantasmagoria" just kind of rolls across the tongue and lips, doesn't it ...

Thanks, kiki

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:37 pm

Thanks for the recommendation kiki.
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:24 pm

Ordered just now - Hagen's other book was a refreshing delight.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:34 pm

Read the first chapter for free on Amazon and based on that ordered it yesterday ... that first chapter reads like a Socratic dialog intertwined with several of the threads here touching on multiple issues ... as succinctly as I can put this ... "practice with no goal but with certain specific purity of intent even as there is no need to practice what we already are" ... and that is just a botch right there but I'm just trying to express my impression of it.

As a relative newbie to meditation I will particularly value what the veterans Andy and kiki have to say about the book ... if anything! ( :) )
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:12 pm

Hey kiki, Andy,

I'm interested in any thoughts you guys might want to share about this passage, which sort of stood out from the rest of his writing:

"If you can get past resistance to meditation, nothing else in life will be an obstacle. If the worst situation comes to you, you can deal with it. If the best situation lands upon you, you can continue to walk steadily. Over time, resistance will become but an echo in the mind."

Hagen, Meditation Now or Never, chapter 6, paragraph 45

Mind can infer an irrefutable logic here -- meditation is the practice of the here and now so if resistance to the here and now is ended all obstacles fade away ... but inferences of the mind are what they are, which is why I invite you guys to share your experience on this.

BTW ... mind found great vindication in Chapter 8. :D -- but of course, and as Hagen points out ... it is the doing that is what is imperative here ... I intend to share plenty about that. :D

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:23 am

The visualization, with eyes closed that I was doing on the bench after a run ... let's just say that there was less likely to be a stray thought than with the method that Hagen presents.

Yeah ... to say that the mind surprised itself with just how easily distracted it can be is an understatement ... of course the "challenge" presented here is observed as just such a distraction, as is re-iterated by Hagen in his text ... but there is the turn of the paradox for you. Practice being here and now ... startlingly silly and stone cold imperative all at the same time. :!: ... and also as re-iterated by Hagen, in the end, pointless.

I am deeply, deeply grateful to kiki, Andy and Steve for pointing toward a resolve to pursue this pointlessness. Probably for the rest of my life.

Now of course, I must admit, that bill finds the whole affair rather anal retentive. It's funny, my brother prepared me for the fistfights that I would get into at school, and while I remember now that my parents discouraged him, thus attenuating such preparation, ALL of my family members were quick to correct the rookie thumb-inside-fist mistake ... "no no ... you'll break your thumb!". Glad I never broke my thumb.

A wall? One look at the sky. Just one glance ... these days any such glance includes a reminder of the curvature of the Earth ... try looking for that sometime. It's always there. Easy to see. I just don't find the spaciousness of the outside and the feel of a breeze and the splash of fresh air on the lungs to be a distraction. It's just a different here and now ... so, a wall? ...

Of course of course of course there is the flip side: Hagen's rather rigid instructions do, after all, represent essentially 2500 years of accumulated human experience. Steve is gentle in reminding his reader of this point but my mind was ahead of him on this. Hey ... yeah ... I mean, why insist on hacking out a hut in the woods in this day and age? It would be the height of foolish ingratitude to shut one's ears to the experienced.

And of course, there is no denying "results".

I'll spare the details ( :lol: a cheer goes up from the bleachers), but there have been similar effects such as the ones that blindsided me those two+ years ago now from Tolles books. No surprise now. Even the walk into the gate of the roller coaster was witnessed this time around.

The social aspect ... this presents a few real world challenges. There is a nascent plan forming-up that includes meetup.com and an earnest search for a hospitable space.

To summarize, this book presents an effective meditation technique and emphasizes the imperative of regular commitment and sharing the experience with others ... and in that vein, if there is anyone else who read or is reading this book and acting on it, or is taking up a similar practice or even if you've been meditating regularly for a long time I would be very glad to hear from you.

Come join me on the bench! .... (or a wall or a pew or ... like, ... whereever!)

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:18 pm

Thanks, Snowy. Fine, amusing summary. Hagen is pretty rigid in his system, regarding posture, etc., but otherwise, I'm good with all of it. Reading Rupert Spira's "Presence" Vols 1 and 2 now...very clear.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

autumnsphere

Post by autumnsphere » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:52 pm

I don't care what anyone says anymore. The experience is profound, and people start making stories about it that sound very paradoxical. I think meditation can help with being "one with everything", once you get there you realize this There is Here, and there was no use meditating but from the puny human perspective this is the only gateway (besides drugs).
Forget spiritual practice - just do drugs!

eyogateacher

Post by eyogateacher » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:35 pm

Thanks Kiki for pointing out this book .I am first time hearing about Steve Hagen .