A Guide to Awareness and Tranquillity

A Guide to Awareness and Tranquillity

Postby SandyJoy » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:26 pm

This book was first written in 1964---It is still in print and continues to help awaken those seeking to understand "who you are". William Samuel was one of the first Western teachers to point to Awareness and the Now as the beginning place discovery of Reality and thus of our Power and Understanding.

Here is an excerpt:

NOW IS TRANSCENDENT
Now transcends the past and the future. Why? Because now is the "time" of tangibility; now is the time of experience; now is when Awareness is concretely aware. No matter how awesome, magnificent or poignantly personal a memory may be, and no matter what it contains, the thought about it is taking place now and this makes the nowness of now transcendent. No matter what wild scheme we entertain, no matter how beautifully we construct a dream of the future, all the scheming and dreaming is taking place in the now, and this makes now transcendent, quite above and beyond time's past and future. Sharp, fearful dreams and the rough memories that appear to be their causes are smoothed by this transcendent now when we let it!

Now is the common denominator of Awareness, just as Awareness is the common denominator for all experience. The two are intertwined in such a way that they are not two at all, but an inseparable one. Because the nature of Isness is singleness rather than multiplicity, we come to equate nowness and awareness as one. Now is not a time-frame wherein experience happens. Awareness is the action of Deific Mind and, as such, is not at the mercy of past experiences. This now-awareness is in no way beholden to human chronology.

Philosophy, religion and education make an effort to understand Reality, but Reality (Deity) stands in confident selfbeing, already knowing itself. Deity's "knowing" is forever beholding, comprehending and apprehending itself as itself. Here there is no need to learn or to understand anything; here is simple, natural, normal being.

Notice the fine line here: to determine Identity, to seek Self-knowledge, to strive for information academically, esoterically or by any other means, is to be the old man still, the misidentity making the effort to understand the identity of another he calls God.

On the other hand, to rest in the infinite Self-knowledge of Being knowing I am forever beholding, knowing, comprehending and apprehending the Divine Self who is being this Consciousness, is to live the Identity I am!

This is not to say that all I am aware of is a dream; not at all. This is to be continually Self-aware. This is to joy in Spirit being all one perceives. This simple action taken marks the end of evaluation, the "last judgment." This is the Sabbatical Rest.

You can find the book on Amazon "A Guide To Awareness and Tranquillity" by William Samuel

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Awareness-T ... gy_b_img_b
You are not finished, until you play in that meadow and live there. You can, you know. But only you can take yourself there.
SandyJoy

Re: A Guide to Awareness and Tranquillity

Postby treasuretheday » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:23 pm

Sounds like a book I need to read! Thanks for the details, Sandyjoy!
Life itself is the proper binge.
-Julia Child
treasuretheday

Postby SandyJoy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:46 am

Treasure, this book is basic 'non-duality', very much in line with Eckhart's teaching---however, William uses more 'Western Philosophical" terminology than the "Eastern way" we so often hear in the nondual message. That was one of the reasons I love his work so much. I have no sense of the Eastern culture and I do not relate to it with my heart and soul. The book " A Guide To Awareness and Tranquillity" was first published in 1964, it is true nonduality written quite a few years before the nondual 'explosion' happened here so recently in the Western world.

But the more I see this growing interest in the nondual ideas/perspective, the more I realize how William's work is such an invaluable work that has been very helpful to so many on this path now. He has a gift with stringing the words so that the Heart can understand deeply and 'see it' for real. He is different then the typical advaita or neo-advaita teachers of today, yet he says exactly what they all say. Somehow his words make the 'other guys' more understandable, he adds to their work, sort of bringing new insight and a freshness in a very inclusive way.

But, what I really wanted to tell you, is that I think, from reading your posts and getting perhaps a wee bit of a correct sense of 'who you are'---I think you would love even more William Samuel's last book "The Child Within Us Lives!". At first, it seems like a strange leap away from the nondual teachings, as if he is going somewhere else ---but, come to find out, once you read the book, something happens, and you really get what he is talking about, you find out, somehow, that he is right--- For me, I realized that this is a most important book, written especially for these days we are in. It it profound, intelligent, prophetic and powerful. I sometimes feel I have not brought it to others attention enough---but, then I also feel I must just trust that those who find this book are the ones meant to find it.

It is truly a miracle book and a very important read, now, as so many are being awakened to the subjective view wherein much confusion also abounds. You can find it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Child-Within- ... 612&sr=8-4

Then, just as an aside, I'd like to offer you one of William's little booklet titled "2+2=Reality" --It has been so very helpful to many who study "metaphysics" and need to find a basic foundation of understanding to start with---and it is available as free gift here:

http://www.williamsamuel.com/TwoPlusTwoEnglish.pdf

Well, I hope I did not bombard you with too much-- You just seem like you would appreciate William's sweet southern humble, honest, incredibly intelligent and unpretentious 'style'.
You are not finished, until you play in that meadow and live there. You can, you know. But only you can take yourself there.
SandyJoy

Postby treasuretheday » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:58 pm

SandyJoy wrote: from reading your posts and getting perhaps a wee bit of a correct sense of 'who you are'---

Yes, SandyJoy...I feel very heard by you. (Maybe even seen? :lol:)
SandyJoy wrote: his words make the 'other guys' more understandable, he adds to their work, sort of bringing new insight and a freshness in a very inclusive way.
Love it when that happens!

The further details are appreciated, SandyJoy. I need to get an Amazon giftcard at the grocery store this week so I can do some book shopping! I don't use a credit card online, so the giftcard route works for me. I just wish I could throw the thing on the conveyer belt with my other items & write a check, but no, I have to pay cash for the giftcard...so that means stopping at the bank first, then head to the grocerette. This annoys me so! ( Oh the crosses I have to bear!). :lol:

More to the point...I am very excited about the books & look forward to getting & reading. I love discovering & reading good books! Thanks again!
-Julia Child
treasuretheday

Postby SandyJoy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:35 pm

The blessings that come to us through a bit of labor are the ones that we value a whole lot more. So, yes, that is a hassle-- but I have a feeling you will be justly rewarded for your efforts 8)
SandyJoy

Postby treasuretheday » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:34 pm

Placed my order for A Guide to Awareness & Tranquility! Lived to tell the tale after the grueling hardship! :lol: Not only that, I managed to perform the task with both awareness and tranquility, even in the rain...there's still hope for me! :wink:
Thanks again, SandyJoy...looking forward to reading! :)
-Julia Child
treasuretheday

Postby treasuretheday » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:24 pm

I found A Guide to Awareness & Tranquility to be a refreshing departure from books and discussions on the subject that are entrenched in functionality and literalism. Samuels charms and captivates as he shares his considerable insights and reflections. As a gifted writer he understands that words don't just convey meaning; they are a force! Paradoxically, we discover from this beautifully written book that no words are ever adequate. Make no mistake, sparkling clarity and deep wisdom are not sacrificed in these pages of elegant and imaginative prose.

I felt transported by the graceful language, the confident but gentle voice, & the very apparent desire of the author to share and educate. And educate is what Samuels does best (rather than inform). He speaks from the heart, to the heart, and inspires reflection and an inner "brewing" process to percolate!

Samuels becomes a dear friend who believes in you, believes in life, and won't let you forget it. I feel so assured and convinced that, "...when we end this personal evaluation habit, our desert will blossom as a rose! Sorry and sighing shall flee away!" Who could resist?
-Julia Child
treasuretheday

Return to Recommended Books